[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Starks

JUMbotron

Although Packers coach Mike McCarthy referred to Brandon Jackson as the "main guy" at running back, he said he would like to have a three-man rotation with Jackson, James Starks and Dmitri Nance.

Would you bench CJ for him?

What if I was married and played in a league with my wife?

:wacko:

Although Packers coach Mike McCarthy referred to Brandon Jackson as the "main guy" at running back, he said he would like to have a three-man rotation with Jackson, James Starks and Dmitri Nance.

He had one yesterday

Jackson 4 carries, 4 receptions

Starks 18 carries

Kuhn 6 carries

The important line in there is below. its a 3 (or 4 ) man rotation. Making none really worth starting in Fantasy (Yet)

For the twelve-hundredth time, there really are no depth charts," McCarthy said Monday. "Brandon Jackson has done an excellent job and will continue to do so. . . . I'd really like to get into more of a rotation now that I know I have three halfbacks."

Four, counting Kuhn, who plays a hybrid halfback / fullback role and gets most of his carries in short-yardage situations.

More on Starks. I think fresh legs are huge this time of year.

"He's an every-down back," said RB coach Edgar Bennett.

This statement sounds eerily familiar from before this season:

"Brandon Jackson to me is an every-down back," McCarthy said. "(He) is a good special teams player, too. He's a complete football player, and if we had to play all three downs with him, I wouldn't even blink."

However, I do have more faith that Starks has more potential, but I'm not sure that it's going to translate to major fantasy-value this year, unless he can make his own TDs... The best scenario you can hope for seems to be:

Starks: 1st and 2nd down

Jackson: 3rd down

Kuhn & Rodgers: Short yardage and goal-line

And none of this is to even mention that they'd like Nance to plays snaps too... Though Starks might have the most value of the bunch, it doesn't seem like his ceiling is that high without getting catches and goal-line work too.

Thats my issue. I love Starks ability and in "Real" football he will be huge for the pack BUT hes not really a fantasy option if he aint getting receptions and goal line and we know ( not a guess) that the team will use Jackson in 3rd down, blitzing downs and receptions and Kuhn/Nance in GL and short yardage. You have to hope that Starks can break a long run for a TD to get any value. I think hes worth owning and starting as a flex I suppose but its so risky that you get 5-7 points from him and thats it.

We can only go on what they say and do and they have said Kuhn / Nance is the goal line / short yardage and Jackson they have used as the 3rd down. Sure we can guess but thats going away from what you see before your eyes, We could also say they will give him three throw in a game but again they have stated ( and have done it, its not just talk) that they will use all three backs and Kuhn/Nance is the GL. anything else is just hope if your an owner. but its highly doiubtful based on previous usage.

Edited by damageinc

We can only go on what they say and do and they have said Kuhn / Nance is the goal line / short yardage and Jackson they have used as the 3rd down. Sure we can guess but thats going away from what you see before your eyes, We could also say they will give him three throw in a game but again they have stated ( and have done it, its not just talk) that they will use all three backs and Kuhn/Nance is the GL. anything else is just hope if your an owner. but its highly doiubtful based on previous usage.

They also said that they would give Starks 8-10 touches, which quickly turned into 18. Notice that McCarthy gushed over how Starks always fell forward for another yard or two. As someone who has watched every snap of GBP football for nearly a decade, all I will tell you is to not be surprised if Starks gets his shot in the redzone.

Hoping your right. While I dont think hes a fantasy option I will probally have him on my roster this week ( Probally lose out on Choice) and my other options are Goodson, Best and Beanie Wells. SO Starks is probally starting for me. Just not expecting much.

Edited by damageinc

More on Starks. I think fresh legs are huge this time of year.

"He's an every-down back," said RB coach Edgar Bennett.

Great.

One of the MOST important things a RB needs to do in GB is be solid in pass pro. Brandon Jackson might not be the runner Starks or Nance is, but the coaches know that he won't get the franchise (Aaron Rodgers) killed with matador blocks vs blitzing LBs/DBs.

That, IMO, plays a MAJOR role in how the rotation works out - vs Det, we'll probably see more Starks hammering at the hap-challenged* Lions. Vs NE, I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson was the main back because they are comfortable running the entire offense with him in there.

* - upgraded from hapless

The important line in there is below. its a 3 (or 4 ) man rotation. Making none really worth starting in Fantasy (Yet)

For the twelve-hundredth time, there really are no depth charts," McCarthy said Monday. "Brandon Jackson has done an excellent job and will continue to do so. . . . I'd really like to get into more of a rotation now that I know I have three halfbacks."

Four, counting Kuhn, who plays a hybrid halfback / fullback role and gets most of his carries in short-yardage situations.

You found Shannahan's secret web site, didn't you? :wacko:

Half of Starks' carries came on one drive in the 4th quarter where the Packers already had a 31-16 lead and were trying to grind out the game. My guess is that Starks will play a "closer" role for this team, getting a lot of the work in the 4th punishing a tired defense when GB has the lead. He seems like a decent start against Detroit because there is a decent chance for some garbage time production. That's what they really miss from Ryan Grant. And Starks helped the Packers chew up over 8:30 of clock in the 4th to essentially seal the deal. I'm sure McCarthy was excited to see his team actually sustain a drive on the ground (for a change) in order to close out a win.

I wonder if they will have all of these guys active on game days (Jackson, Nance, Starks and Kuhn). Nance was inactive this past weekend despite reports that he has passed his concussion tests. I have my doubts that they'll get Nance involved. But Jackson seems entrenched as the 3rd down guy, so the only question mark is goalline work. I tend to agree with PON that it wouldn't be surprising for the Packers to give the kid a chance at the goalline. But for now, he seems likely to get the bulk of the early down carries, and a safe bet for 12-15 touches a game. Against Detroit this weekend, you could do worse.

Well I got Starks. Probally starting him. Hiope for the best.

Starks could get another clock-grinding gig this week at Detroit. Picture the Lions - without DE Kyle Vanden Bosch - down like 33-7 as the 4th quarter begins. 10 more carries added to the wagon in the blink of an eye.

Starks could get another clock-grinding gig this week at Detroit. Picture the Lions - without DE Kyle Vanden Bosch - down like 33-7 as the 4th quarter begins. 10 more carries added to the wagon in the blink of an eye.

This was my first thought upon seeing the news on VB.

Could 100 yards and a TD be in the offing for Starks? Logically speaking there should be an awful lot of clock to burn once the Pack goes up big...

Detroit down 33-7 as the 4th quarter begins- :wacko:

I have Starks and would love to use him but I simply can't justify starting him over moreno, mendenhall or BJGE with the way they've been playing.

I have Starks and would love to use him but I simply can't justify starting him over moreno, mendenhall or BJGE with the way they've been playing.

Some of us aren't as fortunate with our options. Moreno and Mendy are way less risky than Starks. All this 100 and 1 talk regarding Starks assumes he gets the bulk of the carries. Do we know for sure that he's going to be the guy? Or does McCarthy scale back to a bigger share between Starks, Jackson and whoever else?

When Ryan Grant came out of nowhere in 2007, McCarthy didn't hesitate to let him handle the rock even though Grant was an undrafted rookie. The difference in that situation might be that there really wasn't anyone else to turn to for Green Bay in 2007. DeShawn Wynn wasn't getting it done, and he had gotten hurt. That being said, none of the guys before Starks (Jackson, Kuhn, Nance) have done anything to command the ball as the primary RB... So it isn't out of the realm of possibility that McCarthy just hands the keys to Starks.