[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So what's wrong with Peyton?

STL Fan

He's only been sacked 13 times so I think he might be getting hurried or mentally rattled.

I've been watching Manning ever since he came into the league and other than his rookie year I have never seen him take a beating like this year. They are struggling at the guard position, Brown sucks at pass blocking, Tamme is ok but no Clark and everyone else is old. He does not have as much time to make his reads or look defenders off as he usually does. I am a huge Peyton fan and have been since the UT days but the one problem he has always had is getting flustered. If a team can get some pressure on him and get him knocked down early on he starts to press and makes a bad situation even worse. Addai deserves far more credit in this offense than he is given and I believe he is the biggest loss.

He's only been sacked 13 times so I think he might be getting hurried or mentally rattled.

I think that's absolutely a big part of it

He's trying to do too much. Plain and simple. His offensive line consists of three undrafted free agents, a fourth rounder, and a sixth rounder. Saturday is not playing well. The guards are flat horrible.

The running game is a joke. Donald Brown and Mike Hart are both hurt, so the Colts signed DOMINIC RHODES today. It's ugly.

Peyton refuses to throw the ball away. He is trying to squeeze it in there no matter what. Defenses are able to stop the run with nickel or dime defenses, which they never could before. The defense can't stop anyone. Manning is making poor throws.

Manning is a pocket passer, always has been. Three of his years, he's actually had negative total yards for the season. He hasn't been looking to turn and run upfield for a long time now. He's a great pocket passer because he actually had a pocket to sit in a pass from. With the injuries to Addai and Clark he doesn't have his vetern guys to pick up protections,. Outside linemen are making that pocket seem really small. Since his pocket is collasping faster than normal, he is rushing passes and that is leading to turnovers.

Also, because of the lack of run game he is on pace to have over 700 pass attempts. His previous season high is 591. More attempts, more chances to get picked.

His recent decline is because he is just not comfortable with his new recievers and his new recievers don't have much pro experience. Tamme had six catches in his two previous seasons coming into this one. Garcon is in his 2nd season, White is a rookie. A young team is going to make mistakes even with a vetern QB. The QB should make those guys look good, but Manning just hasn't had time to get in sync with them.

Thats just what I'm seeing. I've got Manning in two leagues and his picks are really getting to me, but I'm sticking with him. You never know when he's going to have one of those 400 yard 4 TD days.

His recent decline is because he is just not comfortable with his new recievers and his new recievers don't have much pro experience. Tamme had six catches in his two previous seasons coming into this one. Garcon is in his 2nd season, White is a rookie. A young team is going to make mistakes even with a vetern QB. The QB should make those guys look good, but Manning just hasn't had time to get in sync with them.

I don't think Tamme is the problem

So those that are saying that the receivers or the protection are the problem, are you willing to acknowledge that Peyton is at least partly to blame? Or are you saying that Peyton is 100% fine, and the problems are completely everyone else's fault?

So those that are saying that the receivers or the protection are the problem, are you willing to acknowledge that Peyton is at least partly to blame? Or are you saying that Peyton is 100% fine, and the problems are completely everyone else's fault?

If the question is whether his skills are eroding, etc., my response is no. I think he's doing the best he can with what he's being given and is understandably cracking a little bit under the vastly increased pressure.

Peyton is definately to BLAME for making bad decisions with the ball. i.e. not throwing it away when under pressure, or forcing it into spots he doesn't normally do. I think Peyton's skill set is 100% fine, but he isn't getting the time to use his skills, and his recievers aren't what he typically has talentwise. Like it was said earlier, if a reciever breaks off his route while the ball is in the air then it's not Peytons fault. Or having the ball bounce of his receivers hands into a defender's, not his fault. Not looking off safties, and forcing the ball IS his fault and he should know better. Peyton has been around long enough to figure out his mistakes, and come up with a game plan to have them win. Three games isn't the end of the world, its a slump.

If the question is whether his skills are eroding, etc., my response is no. I think he's doing the best he can with what he's being given and is understandably cracking a little bit under the vastly increased pressure.

I'm not saying his skills are eroding or anything, I just find it hard to look at the situation and say that Peyton is not at least part of the problem. He and many other great QB's have overcome pedestrian running games, no-name receivers, and O-line problems in the past. He just looks like he's absolutely grinding out there right now.

In short, I think it's a combination of:

A lack of familiararty with the the likes of Blair White and other recievers Manning has not had the time to work with enough to get his precision timing routes down pat with. Some of his INT's seem to be when he throws thinking the reciever will come back to him, and a DB cuts the route.

The O line is no where as good as it used to be. Sacks don't tell the story, Manning gets pressured almost every time he throws.

No Addai. The loss of Addai is very under estimated. If Manning had a crutch, it was Addai. Manning always knew where he would be, and Addai is MUCH better at pass blocking than any of his replacements.

Lastly, I won't give Manning a free pass here either. His skill set is still there, but he hasn't learned that with this new set of WR's he can't throw into the coverages he used to throw into with success. Some of these recievers like Tamme and White just don't have that mental connection, they don't know when to come back towards Manning, and Manning has not adjusted to their inexperience. Lastly, Manning is pressing, trying to do too much. He has made some really ill advised passes into coverage.

Like a plane crash, it's never ONE reason, it's a combination of things that come together in a bad result. This is no different.

In short, I think it's a combination of:

A lack of familiararty with the the likes of Blair White and other recievers Manning has not had the time to work with enough to get his precision timing routes down pat with. Some of his INT's seem to be when he throws thinking the reciever will come back to him, and a DB cuts the route.

The O line is no where as good as it used to be. Sacks don't tell the story, Manning gets pressured almost every time he throws.

No Addai. The loss of Addai is very under estimated. If Manning had a crutch, it was Addai. Manning always knew where he would be, and Addai is MUCH better at pass blocking than any of his replacements.

Lastly, I won't give Manning a free pass here either. His skill set is still there, but he hasn't learned that with this new set of WR's he can't throw into the coverages he used to throw into with success. Some of these recievers like Tamme and White just don't have that mental connection, they don't know when to come back towards Manning, and Manning has not adjusted to their inexperience. Lastly, Manning is pressing, trying to do too much. He has made some really ill advised passes into coverage.

Like a plane crash, it's never ONE reason, it's a combination of things that come together in a bad result. This is no different.

As with most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. This assesment seems pretty reasonable.

I'm not saying his skills are eroding or anything, I just find it hard to look at the situation and say that Peyton is not at least part of the problem. He and many other great QB's have overcome pedestrian running games, no-name receivers, and O-line problems in the past. He just looks like he's absolutely grinding out there right now.

To be honest, I'm not sure that they have - one or two of those, maybe. But I can't think of any QBs who did well with no running game, no o-line and no receivers.

To be honest, I'm not sure that they have - one or two of those, maybe. But I can't think of any QBs who did well with no running game, no o-line and no receivers.

and a very poor defense....a defense that is missing it's starting SS, then lost their backup SS and are now down to the 3rd string SS.

TWO of their starting LBs have been out for an extended amount of time

They have had issues at CB too...and now it looks like Powers is probably done too.

and the one thing that I haven't seen anyone say yet is how good Peyton is with the play action pass....possibly the best ever...well with no running game he completely loses that...no matter how good the fake looks the opposing D doesn't have to buy it.

1. I've seen him go through his reads and check down, only to have a guy drop a pass or simply not be where he's supposed to be . . . at which point Manning gets visibly (and understandably) frustrated.

2. as someone else mentioned earlier, he's being given tons of time by his o-line and TEs. Clark was a very good blocker, so I think he's missing that more than a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_k5nIpmSzg

not from this season but still gets the point across.

Edited by keggerz

Manning definitely has to shoulder some of the blame here. Quite a bit in my opinion. Just making too many poor throws. But that's partly because they MUST throw the ball so much because the defense and ground game are horrible.

Edited by CaptainHook