[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For you guys in keeper leagues: whats the best and and worst thing about a keeper league?

euphy

A few people in my league want our league to be a keeper league. One guy wants to be able to retain a max of 6 guys. Another one says max of 2. I feel that a keeper league makes the draft less important. Looks like the league is leaning towards a keeper league. We need to set a bunch of rules to make our league a keeper league. Of course it will not start until next years draft.

I was thinking, you can keep a max of 2 players. And you can not keep a player drafted before the 6th round. And if you keep a player, you lose a 4th round pick. And then a second player, you lose a 5th round pick.

Let me know what you guys think.

You grow attached to players when they stay with you a long time, like the lengthy man-crush I had on Priest Holmes back in the day. The downside is that certain players never make it into general circulation, like the owner in one of my keeper leagues who had Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson for about four straight years. Not only did this guy have a lock on arguably the two best positional players, but the league was much less competitive with this dynasty of dynasties kicking everyone's arses each year. He won the title three straight frigging years with this 1-2 punch.

Edited by historymike

A few people in my league want our league to be a keeper league. One guy wants to be able to retain a max of 6 guys. Another one says max of 2. I feel that a keeper league makes the draft less important. Looks like the league is leaning towards a keeper league. We need to set a bunch of rules to make our league a keeper league. Of course it will not start until next years draft.

I was thinking, you can keep a max of 2 players. And you can not keep a player drafted before the 6th round. And if you keep a player, you lose a 4th round pick. And then a second player, you lose a 5th round pick.

Let me know what you guys think.

I think you're on the right track but too restrictive. I would say you can keep any player but have to give up a draft one round higher than he was drafted. This means all 1st rounders will go back in the pot next year. Or something similar.

I think you're on the right track but too restrictive. I would say you can keep any player but have to give up a draft one round higher than he was drafted. This means all 1st rounders will go back in the pot next year. Or something similar.

well the only problem with that is P Manning was ranking in the 2nd rd this year (I in fact draf him overall pick 22 if I remember correctly in a 12 team leauge) So that wouldn't make him lose a first rd draft pick....

I like the system where u have to contract a player for X number of years and after X number of years u have put him back in the draft. That way no one is wiling to contract more than a couple years (and if u put a 4 year contract on someone u better hope he doesn't get hurt)

I haven't played in a dynasty leauge so I don't really have and good or bad things to say about it

The good: It does make you attach to players more having them on your team. It also makes sure that the same guys are coming back from year to year, because they have a continueing interest in the league. If you're in a league with a bunch of friends that have been playing together for a long time, it is a logical step to add an extra factor to your league by making it a keeper league.

The bad: Everyone has a different opinion on how many/which guys should be allowed to be the keepers. Make sure that whatever rules you come up with please the most people and that everyone agrees or it will come up later down the line.

Other things for thought: Because a keeper leauge continues from year to year, you have to look out for people playing for next year and tanking the current one. This a keeper/dynasty strategy that some guys do use. Not that its a good or bad stratedy, you just have to be aware that if you do or don't want guys using this you should make sure that your rules address it (ie trading of future draft picks, or other rules that address it). Another thing, is if you look at preseason player rankings from this or other sites they will be skewed because they don't take your keepers into account. You will have to take more time in deciding your preseason rankings. If you already go pretty far indepth about projections and rankings you shouldn't have a problem with this.

If you play in multiple leagues, then my thought atleast one of them need to be a deep keeper or Dynasty. Dynasty teams are your passion and little baby. Groom it, grow it and develop it. Mistakes, if occured can be costly and will take years to recover. Bad drafting for rookies or trading away rookie picks will kill you in the long haul. You have to decide when to Attack for the championship or rebuild for the future. Small 1 or 2 keeper leagues are a waste of time in my opinion. Either do it or dont do it.

You need the best of all worlds. Redraft, dynasty, IDP. Then you will be satisfied in fantasy football.

well the only problem with that is P Manning was ranking in the 2nd rd this year (I in fact draf him overall pick 22 if I remember correctly in a 12 team leauge) So that wouldn't make him lose a first rd draft pick....

? Yes it would. Re-read what I posted initially. A player drafted 2d round means giving up a 1st rounder to keep him the next year. This also means you can only keep a guy a max of 3 yrs, which I also like.

Or you could man up and forget all this snake draft silliness and do an auction draft. :wacko: Then it's a question of how much you have to pay to keep him, but IMO keep it simple.

I understand the appeal but not into all the contracts, dynasty etc, too busy.

Edited by BeeR

If you play in multiple leagues, then my thought atleast one of them need to be a deep keeper or Dynasty. Dynasty teams are your passion and little baby. Groom it, grow it and develop it. Mistakes, if occured can be costly and will take years to recover. Bad drafting for rookies or trading away rookie picks will kill you in the long haul. You have to decide when to Attack for the championship or rebuild for the future. Small 1 or 2 keeper leagues are a waste of time in my opinion. Either do it or dont do it.

I was going to say the same thing about the bolded. 1 or 2 isn't enough of a reward for the good teams and certainly not enough of one if you don't snake the draft and make last year's top team pick at the end. He may or may not have the best or two best keepers and simply won because he was solid on his whole roster. So that guy sort of gets hosed.

Of course, if you lose the pick in the round you took the guy, that could likely undo it. Because you might not keep your best player, but rather your best valued player.

None the less, if you didn't want to go all the way with dynasty, I would do a minimum of 4 keepers and attach them to where they were taken (even if you lose a pick the round before).

You should also be allowed to keep less than other teams. If you don't have enough good players, you just get more picks than everyone else.

Edited by detlef

I think keeper leagues are fun, and add a lot more strategy to trades and building toward the future if this year goes wrong. That being said, the biggest problem is tanking. If you base your picks next season on points finish, or record, then you will get teams playing sub par lineups once they're out of it this season. I definitely recommend some kind of 'toilet bowl' system for non-playoff teams to determine the top few picks, so that you don't automatically give the #1 pick to the lowest points or worst record. This avoids the tanking problem, which in my opinion, is the biggest downside to most keeper/dynasty formats.. not only can it affect playoff runs (if you get to play the team that's throwing in the towel vs somebody who's playing against a real roster)... but your rules can encourage that behavior if a team has no chance and picks in the future are based on reverse finish.

That being said, if you take care of that problem, then keeper leagues can be great.

Edited by BrooklynCrew

This is my first year in FF and I am in a keeper league. In my league we can keep four players with no penalties. The team I inherited was pretty bad. The main thing I don't like about it is from my position it is very tough to try to rebuild a team when going into the draft your pretty much drafting from the 49th ranked overall player on back. I had the second overall pick and took Ryan Grant who was the best available. I have pretty much sold off my team this year to try to get four good players for next year. If you have a good team to start with keeper leagues are great, but if you don't it can be a biatch to rebuild.

the best thing is that it rewards foresight and long-term strategy.

the worst thing is that some teams perpetually suck, and sometimes a squad gets FUBARed so badly its gutless worm of an owner will quit the league two days before the draft and leave you scrambling to find a replacement.

Edited by Azazello1313

The worst is when you don't have any players worth keeping, or at least too few. One of my leagues this happens to me annually. It leaves you without hope and relying entirely on luck, hitting accidentally on the next Peyton Hillis.

I tend to go after the flavor-of-the-week wire pickup, give him a 2- or 3-year contract, then cut him a few months later when he does nothing. So when I actually had the foresight to grab Peyton Hillis, I played it smart and gave him only a 1-year contract.

I definitely recommend some kind of 'toilet bowl' system for non-playoff teams to determine the top few picks, so that you don't automatically give the #1 pick to the lowest points or worst record.

I'll second this idea. I've had the problem of teams tanking in my local keeper league. We had awarded the #1 pick to the lowest record. One of the guys decided to start trading away his team starting week 4 one year, and ended up with two 1st round, and two 2nd round picks. His orignal 1st round that he tanked for ended up being the #2 overall pick. So now we have a playoff for the #1 pick of the guys that aren't playing in the money bracket. If a guy wants to trade away his team he can do that but he'll probably end up with the #5 or #6 overall pick. We didn't take away the ability to trade future picks, because some of the guys thought that if you had a deep roster and couldn't improve your starting roster, trading away depth for draft picks was something that needed to be kept in tact.

Just some things to think about.

the biggest downside with anything with a keeper component is that you really need to be careful with who you chose for your ownership. you need knowlegable and dedicated people - because it is really hard to sell a crappy team if somebody drafts a crappy team and does not have the heart to rebuild.

also... the more keepers you allow - the harder it is to rebuild because all of the good players are locked up. so, anything above 2-4 keepers, you should probably come up with a max of how long you can keep them because you don't want to be the guy with the crappy team who is forced to rebuild with the likes of Jason Avant and Trung Candidate.

The ability to rebuild is huge so owners can see the light at the end of the tunnel and don't get discouraged.

Edited by Duchess Jack

No minimum or maximum amount of players kept in my league...

You must give up a draft pick at least three rounds earlier than the player's draft round in the previous year. Players drafted during the first three rounds of the previous year may not be kept...

Any drafted player that is cut during the year and picked up later in the year will still maintain their draft round value...

Undrafted players you assign a draft round value (mine is similar to a 10th round pick in the 14 round draft)...