[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Panthers really that good against the Pass?

robert terni

It's not that CAR is that good against the pass, it's that other teams get ahead of them and run the ball because they can do it. There's a reason why BUF, AZ, DEN, CAR, & TEN are the top five teams when it comes to most opponents' rushing attempts allowed. The passing game is flashier, but the running game is much safer.

Edited by Bronco Billy

CAR looks good against the pass on paper because teams run the ball so much and don't pass. Roddy white is a stud and stud players outplay bad matchups. The one thing I would worry about is if ATL gets up early and abandons the pass like most teams do. I'm still going to play him, but don't be surprised if he isn't much of a factor late in the game if ATL is blowing out CAR.

It's not that CAR is that good against the pass, it's that other teams get ahead of them and run the ball because they can do it. There's a reason why BUF, AZ, DEN, CAR, & TEN are the top five teams when it comes to most opponents' rushing attempts allowed. The passing game is flashier, but the running game is much safer.

BB nailed it - it;s not that Carolina is that good against the pass, it;s just that htey are that BAD against the run that there is no need for teams to pass. They get a lead then run the clock out.

Does it really matter why when discussing fantasy football? All that matters is that fantasy WRs do NOT do well against Carolina. If the below happens, you're still screwed.

The one thing I would worry about is if ATL gets up early and abandons the pass like most teams do. I'm still going to play him, but don't be surprised if he isn't much of a factor late in the game if ATL is blowing out CAR.

That said, it's awfully tough to bench RW. Unless you have a studly matchup sitting on your bench I wouldn't even consider benching him.

Hard to bench him but keep in mind his upside is pretty low this week

Since 2008...

@CAR 7/90/0

CAR 4/70/0

CAR 6/53/1

@CAR 7/98/0

If you have something better than 90 and a pretty low probability of a TD benching Roddy isn't crazy. As stated above, they likely just won't need him very much.

Yep. Teams get the lead on them, and run the ball down their throats to keep the ball and keep the clock moving.

Now, if the OP wants to bench White because he thinks the Falcons will be running all afternoon, and White will only be a factor in the game for the 1st 30 minutes, thats a legitimate concern (though unless I had other lights-out options, I'd still keep White in my lineup).

only options are crabtree vs seahawks and fitzgerald vs denver

Gun to my head I think Crabtree has a higher ceiling (this week only). It sounds crazy, but if you have to swing for the fences to win, I'd go Crab. White is the better player and is sure to get a lot of catches and decent yardage. But if you are in a non-ppr and you need mega-points, I'd go Crabtree.

Gun to my head I think Crabtree has a higher ceiling (this week only). It sounds crazy, but if you have to swing for the fences to win, I'd go Crab. White is the better player and is sure to get a lot of catches and decent yardage. But if you are in a non-ppr and you need mega-points, I'd go Crabtree.

Wow, I hope you're not playing against your wife this week if you'd bench Roddy. People are going to talk about you . . .

Wow, I hope you're not playing against your wife this week if you'd bench Roddy. People are going to talk about you . . .

DMD projected Crabtree for higher yardage and a TD and White for lower yards and a TD. In a non-PPR, if you are looking for highest ceiling (as in you are low seed and going against a top team) I don't think it's completely crazy to consider going to Crab. Carolina may get a healthy dose of Turner in the second half while SF vs SEA will be a 60 minute pillow fight. Personally I am the highest seed and in a PPR so I'll be starting White (dropped Crab earlier this year).

DMD projected Crabtree for higher yardage and a TD and White for lower yards and a TD. In a non-PPR, if you are looking for highest ceiling (as in you are low seed and going against a top team) I don't think it's completely crazy to consider going to Crab. Carolina may get a healthy dose of Turner in the second half while SF vs SEA will be a 60 minute pillow fight. Personally I am the highest seed and in a PPR so I'll be starting White (dropped Crab earlier this year).

I get it. I was making a reference to the hugh CJ controversy. Apparently there are some who believe it is wrong to bench a first-round fantasy pick regardless of matchup or recent performance.

I get it. I was making a reference to the hugh CJ controversy. Apparently there are some who believe it is wrong to bench a first-round fantasy pick regardless of matchup or recent performance.

Ah, makes sense now. I read about 5 posts in that thread when it was on page 6. Came back the next day and the thread had doubled in size so I gave up. :wacko:

Here's how I see it.

Your WR's are:

R White facing Carolina who gives up an average of 15.82 ppg to WR's

L Fitzgerald facing Denver who gives who gives up an average of 18.92 ppg to WR's

M Crabtree facing Seattle who gives up an average of 24.73 ppg to WR's

Of the total WR points scored(non-ppr) by your WR's NFL Teams so far this season, here are the percentage of those points that your WR's have gotten:

Atlanta - Total WR points - 418 - Whites % - 37%

Arizona - Total WR points - 297.7 - Fitz's % - 37%

San Francisco - Total WR points - 342.4 - Crab's % - 25%

So based on that it is reasonable to think that your WR's will get their % of the avg points given up by their opponents:

White - 37% of 15.82 = 5.82 pts

Fitz - 37% of 18.92 = 7 pts

Crabtree - 25% of 24.73 = 6.18 pts

With these projections so close and based on individual performances so far this year, I see no reason to start Fitz or Crabs over White this week, or any week really.

Especially since his team has averaged more points per game all season than Fitz or Crabs teams have. Based on that, the one intangible, Potential TD's scored, has to go to White.

Problem solved, ASYS!

Edited by Jrick35

Consider 7 of their 10 wins were by 1 TD or less, 6 of which were comeback wins. Atlanta will find ways to let Carolina hang around just like they have done all season and White will get his.

Edited by rajncajn

Consider 7 of their 10 wins were by 1 TD or less, 6 of which were comeback wins. Atlanta will find ways to let Carolina hang around just like they have done all season and White will get his.

Good point. I was looking at why CAR had such a high ranking against WRs (because everyone runs one them). I hadn't been thinking about all of the shootouts that ATL has been in this year. If CAR can keep this game close, White will be needed late in the game. Good insight.

I would agree with this if 7 of those 10 wins were against teams as bad as Carolina.

On offense, Carolina is last in ppg, ypg, and pass ypg. They're tied for third most sacks allowed. 2nd to last in pass comp %. 21st in rush ypg. Only 13 offensive TDs this season. On defense, generally their average at best across the board.

Say what you will about ATL, they've handled quality teams (teams with a winning record). No team has more than 3 wins versus quality teams through week 13. Some teams have higher pt differentional versus quality teams. Take your Saints (almost +11pt differential versus quality teams) but they have only 3 games against quality teams versus ATL's 7. And no team that has faced as many quality teams as ATL have an overall winning record. Citing your evidence that ATL will allow Carolina to 'hang around' ignores the difficulty of Atlanta's schedule to date.

One other thing not mentioned is that White, and especially Ryan, see a dip in stats on grass. Ryan's rating is 73 on grass versus 101 on turf, 1:1 TD:INT on grass versus 2:1 turf. While White's yardage holds steady at about 95ypg, he has only 1 TD in 4 games on grass.