[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Detroit homers

Fatman

Ford Field itself offers little parking. Detroit ordinances prohibit tailgating in public parking. Some private lots allow it, but you'll pay a premium (say $30 v $10.)

Eastern Market (5-10 minutes away) has a tailgating area.

Check this out.

And buy yourself a bloody mary inside.

That's about all I know.

You're welcome.

To elaborate just a bit, Ford Field is a "downtown" stadium - you don't have large parking lots (or a large lot) surrounding it. You have small lots here and there with small groups of people.

Now the Silverdome on the other hand . . .

Be aware of scam artists who prey on suburbanites and out-of-towners. There are people who try to set up shop at private lots on game days, taking your dough and running, or who try to make a private lot look like a legit parking lot, only for people to return later and see that their cars have been towed. These scams tend to happen farther away from the stadium, especially lots just north of I-75 off Woodward.

It is fairly safe on game days, but know that there are more than a few beggars, pickpockets, purse snatchers, and other lowlifes who sometimes cause trouble. DPD is pretty good at rousting the troublemakers, but the sheer number of potential victims with fat wallets makes FF quite a magnet for crooks (full disclosure: my dad was a DPD sergeant for 30 years, and I have inherited the "cop eye" for picking potential muggers and crooks in a crowd). Park as close as possible to the stadium: you pay a bit more, but safety is directly proportional to stadium proximity, and going north on Woodward to save $5-$10 on parking is just stupid.

That being said, there are some excellent local food vendors in the blocks near the stadium grilling up ribs, brats, and all sorts of great food, and you can chow down for less cash outside the stadium (Ford Field is kind of pricey). My favorite stadium food item is the Taverna gyro, which will set you back $7 or so (it is at least filling, and I am a sucker for gyro meat).

Go to Greektown afterwards, which is very safe and offers a wide variety of restaurant options. If you get a chance check out either Lafayette Coney Island or American Coney Island, which are right next door to each other. There is no taste in the world like a Detroit-style coney dog.

Edited by historymike

Be aware of scam artists who prey on suburbanites and out-of-towners. There are people who try to set up shop at private lots on game days, taking your dough and running, or who try to make a private lot look like a legit parking lot, only for people to return later and see that their cars have been towed. These scams tend to happen farther away from the stadium, especially lots just north of I-75 off Woodward.

It is fairly safe on game days, but know that there are more than a few beggars, pickpockets, purse snatchers, and other lowlifes who sometimes cause trouble. DPD is pretty good at rousting the troublemakers, but the sheer number of potential victims with fat wallets makes FF quite a magnet for crooks (full disclosure: my dad was a DPD sergeant for 30 years, and I have inherited the "cop eye" for picking potential muggers and crooks in a crowd). Park as close as possible to the stadium: you pay a bit more, but safety is directly proportional to stadium proximity, and going north on Woodward to save $5-$10 on parking is just stupid.

That being said, there are some excellent local food vendors in the blocks near the stadium grilling up ribs, brats, and all sorts of great food, and you can chow down for less cash outside the stadium (Ford Field is kind of pricey). My favorite stadium food item is the Taverna gyro, which will set you back $7 or so (it is at least filling, and I am a sucker for gyro meat).

Go to Greektown afterwards, which is very safe and offers a wide variety of restaurant options. If you get a chance check out either Lafayette Coney Island or American Coney Island, which are right next door to each other. There is no taste in the world like a Detroit-style coney dog.

Awesome, thank you! :wacko: