[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeff Fisher-Why Do People Think He Is A Great Coach

caddyman

If he coached for a real and proud franchise, he would have been fired numerous times.

Yankees?

Would that make him the "Billy Martin" of the NFL? To me he's a good coach mainly because he's seemed to do well each year with average talent at best. I mean, take out CJ, McNair, Mason and Eddie George and who has he really had to work with. Those are good names don't get me wrong but it's not enough for most coaches. I also wonder if he would've eeked out another division title or two if not for Peyton and the Colts.

And as a Lions homer I can tell you in the last 15 years I would have taken Fish over Bobby Ross, Gary Moeller, Marty Mornhinweg, Mariucci, Jauron, Marinelli and time will tell but maybe Schwartz as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a good coach. He's got 4 division titles and 1 AFC title. He's the #19 coach in NFL history in terms of wins at 141. He's 141-118 overall with a .544 winning percentage.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FishJe0.htm

Out of his 5 losing seasons, 7-9 in 2 of those so they weren't trainwrecks. I'd say he's had 2 really bad seasons in 2004 and 2005. The Titans have 5 playoff wins in his tenure. In terms of winning percentage, he's ranked #59 in NFL history.

He came 1 foot from a SB victory in 1999. Considering who his owner is, I'd say he's a fine coach. He's not Lombardi, The Hoodie or Walsh, but he's good. The overwhelming majority of franchises would be happy to have him.

spot on

Don't know what you are talking about here. Again we have a difference of opinion. Other than your opinion, what makes this guy great?

AGAIN-MORE LOSING SEASONS THAN WINNING

NO SUPER BOWL WINS

Under no criteria can you prove he is a great coach. None. Frankly, he is barely mediocre. Barely. If he coached for a real and proud franchise, he would have been fired numerous times.

Barry Switzer had a 40-24 regular-season record, three out of four winning seasons, a 5-2 playoff record and a Super Bowl win. Under the above criteria, he must be an excellent coach. Perhaps Switzer could coach the Titans and teach Fisher a few things.

Barry Switzer had a 40-24 regular-season record, three out of four winning seasons, a 5-2 playoff record and a Super Bowl win. Under the above criteria, he must be an excellent coach. Perhaps Switzer could coach the Titans and teach Fisher a few things.

I don't think he was a bad coach but it's apples and oranges. You have to consider the talent level of the roster over the years. Barry had a roster ladden with future hall of famers. He was a good coach but it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Don't know what you are talking about here. Again we have a difference of opinion. Other than your opinion, what makes this guy great?

AGAIN-MORE LOSING SEASONS THAN WINNING

NO SUPER BOWL WINS

Under no criteria can you prove he is a great coach. None. Frankly, he is barely mediocre. Barely. If he coached for a real and proud franchise, he would have been fired numerous times.

WRONG

He currently does have MORE WINNING SEASONS then he does losing seasons.

lmao @ this thread

Did anyone actually read much if at all past the first 2 replies, which summed it up nicely?

Caldwell took his team to a SB in his first year and he isn't worthy of wiping Fisher's butt. I'd happily swap the 2 and toss in a case of beer. Good stuff too.

Stats are for losers.

Edited by BeeR

I was at this game , 15 rows up on the goal line that Dyson was reaching for. What a great finish! (unless u were a Tenn Fan)

Very cool G.K., one of my favorite SBs and a memorable finish to boot.

I remember a thread like this last year when I made a 'jeff fisher is a great coach' comment and got jumped on. His accomplishments may pale to some of his piers, but considering he has to deal with a first-class organization twice a year I'd say he's doing pretty well. And when I mention the Colts I am truly talking about the entire organization, not just Manning. They do everything well from the top-down. 12+ wins how many seasons in a row? As for Fisher, Bud Adams has given him only so much to work with, in particular at QB. imo he gets the most out of his players and they don't quit on him. Last year's 0-6 start comes to mind.

To caddy's point on lack of playoff success, I think we'd all like to see Tenn go farther when they have one-upped Indy in the regular season but mediocre talent can only go so far.I'm sorry but Kerry Collins and Vince Young are not going to get you any rings. I'd like to see Fisher walk into another organization with a different set of pieces in place and see where he can take them. Maybe we'll get to see it in a year or 2...and you'll also get to see what happens to Tennessee when Fisher is gone. Enjoy that experience.