[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tashard Choice asking for Vick's autograph

whomper

Right there on national TV after the game you have Tashard Choice asking Vick for an autograph. You have just been beaten by a hated division rival and you go up to their qb after the game for an autograph ?? Are you friggin kidding me ? That was some massively weak sauce right there. It has nothing to do with Vicks off field stuff. I dont think I would ever have seen Dorsett go up to Bradshaw back in the day for Terry's autograph after a game. Maybe there is a story here like Choice was getting it for a sick kid or something like that which I guess would make things a little different but it was flat out embarrasing. Vick even rubbed him on the head when he was done . All choice needed was a little propeller hat and big lollipop and the scene would have been complete.

Choice said he was getting it for his 3-year old nephew.

They talked about it wuite a bit on Mike and Mike this morning - Cris Carter said he didn't have an issue with it, and that he himself had signed autographs for opposing players on the field plenty of times in his career. He also swapped spamshirts with guys like Montana, Aikman, etc. after games at times in his career - usually in the lockerroom afterwards through the teams' respective equipment managers, but once or twice actually did it on the field. Golic felt the opposite - said he often fraternized with opposing players on the field after the game, but that asking for an autograph he thought didn't pass the smell test and that Choice should have waited until afterwards and gone to the Eagles lockerroom rather than doing it right there on the field.

I tend to agree with Carter - if it's OK to do it in the lockerroom, why isn't it OK to do it on the field? As Carter said this morning on the radio, what's the big difference between asking for an autograph versus asking after his family, or saying hey are you gonna play in my golf benefit this summer?

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

At first jerk I thought it was not the kind of thing you want to do on the field under the spotlight for all to see. I mean Vick is an Eagle and they just cam into your house and beat you. I could see him saying "Hey great game Mike, can I meet with you before you go and get an auto for my nephew"?

That would make more sense to me. Just sayin.

At first jerk I thought it was not the kind of thing you want to do on the field under the spotlight for all to see. I mean Vick is an Eagle and they just cam into your house and beat you. I could see him saying "Hey great game Mike, can I meet with you before you go and get an auto for my nephew"?

That would make more sense to me. Just sayin.

It shows sportsmanship which I would rather Choice show my kids versus some of the other assinine things some of the players do in a lack of respect to their fellow players!

It has nothing at all to do with sportsmanship. Of course I want sportsmanship. I just dont want to see our running back acting like a 6 year old boy to the qb that just beat them and then having his head rubbed on National TV .

It has nothing at all to do with sportsmanship. Of course I want sportsmanship. I just dont want to see our running back acting like a 6 year old boy to the qb that just beat them and then having his head rubbed on National TV .

So not acting like a 6 year old boy drooling with joy and getting an autograph is much worse than a 6 year old boy pouting like a 6 year old girl and stoping your feet in disappointment because a better team beat you?

So not acting like a 6 year old boy drooling with joy and getting an autograph is much worse than a 6 year old boy pouting like a 6 year old girl and stoping your feet in disappointment because a better team beat you?

Where have I said anywhere that they should pout and not shake hands ? Those were your words , not mine. If Choice refused to shake hands Id be equally as mad. Shake hands, wish them well, congratulate them. Im all for all of that. These are old school NFC east rivals though. Something about asking the qb for an autograph on TV just didnt sit well with me. Think of Clay Matthews running up to Favre after a game for an autograph . (I use them because Viks/gb is a rivalry)Think of John Riggins asking Staubach for an autograph on TV after a MNF game. These are old heated rivalries. You think Cowboys fans wanted to see Vick beat Dallas in Dallas then have the Dallas rb seek him out while on TV and get an autograph and a head rub ? The only team that should welcome autograph requests from opposing team members would be the Jags because there are no actual fans at the game to request one

Edited by whomper

Where have I said anywhere that they should pout and not shake hands ? Those were your words , not mine. If Choice refused to shake hands Id be equally as mad. Shake hands, wish them well, congratulate them. Im all for all of that. These are old school NFC east rivals though. Something about asking the qb for an autograph on TV just didnt sit well with me. Think of Clay Matthews running up to Favre after a game for an autograph . (I use them because Viks/gb is a rivalry)Think of John Riggins asking Staubach for an autograph on TV after a MNF game. These are old heated rivalries. You think Cowboys fans wanted to see Vick beat Dallas in Dallas then have the Dallas rb seek him out while on TV and get an autograph and a head rub ? The only team that should welcome autograph requests from opposing team members would be the Jags because there are no actual fans at the game to request one

You're totally on-point with this one. Just like Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert used to be friends, but then Chrissy would go out and kill her on the court. Once Navratilova stopped being friends with her, is when she started beating her. A different psychological mindset was needed. You can't be idolizing the opponent, and asking them for their autographs. It was embarrassing that he did that.

Dude, breathe, relax. You're acting as if Philly just knocked Dallas out of the playoffs or something... Yes, it's still a heated rivalry, but that's what players do when the game is over. They exchange pleasantries, and if they want to get an autograph for their little kid, then so be it....

So if Dallas had beaten Philly, would this have even been an issue? Hell, the media probably would have talked about what a great show of respect Choice showed after beating them...

But regardless of how you as a homer feel about it, I can probably guess exactly how it went down for Choice. To his three-year-old: "You like watching Vick? Yea, I loved watching him too when I was coming up. You want me to get his autograph for you?"

It had nothing to do with how you feel as a homer, nor should it...

Where have I said anywhere that they should pout and not shake hands ?

And where did I say to not shake hands?

I just think it's extremely petty to be biatching about something as mundane as this when good sportsmanship (not the "everyone gets a trophy" garbage) should be something we praise, not bash!

I agree with you for the most part but it is also a business and not just a sport. I can't stand to lose even when playing bar league touch football and when our team does lose I am all for shaking hands with the other team but I am not smiling and yucking it up with them right after the game. I am pissed off and am not smiling for a bit. You see guys in the league talking with teammates and smiling and laughing when the clock is still runiing down - this somewhat bothers me but I am sure there are some guys where winning is everything and they would not do that stuff or ask for an autograph. But there are some who may view it more as a job than just a game they want to win.

And where did I say to not shake hands?

I just think it's extremely petty to be biatching about something as mundane as this when good sportsmanship (not the "everyone gets a trophy" garbage) should be something we praise, not bash!

Delusions said that . Not you. my bad

You're totally on-point with this one. Just like Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert used to be friends, but then Chrissy would go out and kill her on the court. Once Navratilova stopped being friends with her, is when she started beating her. A different psychological mindset was needed. You can't be idolizing the opponent, and asking them for their autographs. It was embarrassing that he did that.

Martina was just mad that Crissy stopped putting out... Maybe Dallas should do the same.

Choice is from the Atlanta area and watched him play there. He was getting the autograph for his 3 yo nephew. I think the media is making a lot more out of this than they should be.

+1

I'm actually somewhat shocked that this is even being talked about. It happens a lot more than we realize. I guess it is made to be a big deal because 1) it's Vick 2) The moment was caught on national TV 3) Vick rubbed Choice's head like he's a little kid.

Still, this type of thing happens in EVERY NFL game, every week... it just happened to be on TV this time. Plus, I think the Vick thing plays a big part in how blown out of proportion this has gotten. I watched Peyton Manning and the Tennessee rookie CB (Verner) have an equally friendly exchange after their game on Thursday. Verner didn't ask for Manning's autograph, but if he had, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But, because it's Vick, people want to make a story out of it.

Could it have been done differently? Maybe. Would I go so far as to say it was poor timing by Choice? Heck no. Vick is going to be surrounded by media whereever he goes, so this would have been noticed no matter when/where it happened. Like someone else said, who cares.

You guys should stop worrying about Choice asking for autographs and start trying to fix Roy Williams' smile and Keith Brooking's pregame speeches.

Ive gone on record about how I hate Brookings speeches. Maybe Big John can find a link. Love Brookings heart though. Guy plays hard as hell. As far as a smiling Roy. Hes a tool.