[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To tip or not to tip?

Slugs3511

Over the years, a couple of times, guys way down towards the bottom of the $$ told me to just keep it. A few would tell me to apply it to next years' dues.

Nothing so systematic as 10% off the top, though.

That said, I've heard of (but never been in a league that did it) giving the commish a free team.

Anyone that says that being a commish is an easy job has never been commish in a competitive league.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

our commish in my big money league plays for 1/2 the fee. pretty substantial cuz the league fees are a few hundred bucks. seems like that's too much as he doesn't do too much but i'm fairly new to the league so don't feel comfortable rocking the boat. i'm commish of a smaller stakes league and pay the same fee as everyone.

I've been a commish for more than 15 years. Every year, I stash all the cash and then find 11 more suckers for next season.

Not really.... I pay the same dues as everyone, and have never gotten a dime that I didn't earn by winning :wacko:

Edited by CowboysDiehard

I've been running my local since '02 & the only thing I've gotten is grief. Being a commish is a thankless job sometimes...but I enjoy it.

Yes. If it seems as if the commish isn't doing anything, it's because the best commishes make it seem that easy. :wacko:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've always been confused by this issue - if you win a Super Bowl box pool, or a Survivor pool, or any NCAA college basketball pool, it seems like common practice to me to tip the pool administrator 10%. Yet a fantasy football commissioner does far more work than any of these pool administrators and is typically never tipped. How does that make any sense?

I have been commissioner of my local league for seventeen years and got tipped once.

I'm not complaining, life's too short and it's not much money, but the discrepancy is a little curious, isn't it? One year, a guy in my league won the title and did not tip me - standard practice so I wasn't miffed or anything, but when I won his Super Bowl box pool a couple weeks later I felt no obligation to tip him the otherwise standard 10%.

If you want to show your appreciation, why not have each owner throw in $5 - $10 bucks and buy the commissioner a good bottle of booze.

:wacko:

Actually, there is one longtime member of FLS who's tipped me nearly every season since we started 10 years ago. If you're not that person, maybe you should take a f'n lesson.

if i win more than $300 ill throw the commish $20....$50 if its over $500.

as a commish i think that most of the work is coordinating the draft (getting 12 people to put 2 hours aside at the same time is suprisingly very difficult. and even finding 11 can be alot of recruiting work if you don't have a bunch of friends that want to toss in $100+ to play this crazy game). We do lin person drafts at a bar which is also a little more difficult to coordinate over an internet draft.

ive been tipped once or twice and i dont expect it , but it is nice and i always use the guideline above as my rule of thumb for fantasy commish tipping

I have been playing FF for about 15 years now and I have won only 1 title, but have a superb overall record....I usually win the first round of the playoffs, but in week 15 I blow it....EVERY YEAR....

So, when I won the league about 5 years ago, I tipped my commish because he runs a good league, deals with all the teams, and handles the money...

Is this a common practice?

I also run a league, and I have been tipped a couple of times....

Just curious as to what other leagues have found....

I've run the local for years and haven't seen a dime. I turned over the reigns this summer. I just posted a message suggesting a $50 tip off the top of the prize money. We'll see.....Great idea either way...

In two of the leagues in which I play we allocate a stpiend of $20 to the commissioner for time and duties (these are bigger money leagues, $75 and $50 entry fees). In the third league there are no such provisions, and no tradition of tipping, though it has only been around three years (and only a $25 entry fee).

I guess "tipping" sounds weird to me. If you want to toss a few bucks each year to the commissioner, that's fine, just make it part of the league rules. In the old days (pre-Internet FF gaming platforms) the commissioner had a more difficult job in spending a few hours a week tabulating data, but these days the duties of a commissioner are much less accountant-like.

A distinction without a difference.

In my main league, it has become common practice to buy the Commish a case of beer or a bottle of his favorite beverage. Not sure why, but we just do to thank him for keeping all the guys together, his weekly write-ups, etc...there is no question his write-ups/mockery keep our league fun, and more importantly, keep everyone involved.

Whenever I win any league or pool being run by someone, I always tell the commish to keep a $20 for the effort...least I can do :wacko:

A case of Jack Daniels please... :tup:

Over the years, a couple of times, guys way down towards the bottom of the $$ told me to just keep it. A few would tell me to apply it to next years' dues.

Nothing so systematic as 10% off the top, though.

That said, I've heard of (but never been in a league that did it) giving the commish a free team.

Free team seems over the top.

Anyone that says that being a commish is an easy job has never been commish in a competitive league.

Amen brother.

I've been a commish for more than 15 years. Every year, I stash all the cash and then find 11 more suckers for next season.

Not really.... I pay the same dues as everyone, and have never gotten a dime that I didn't earn by winning :wacko:

Not to mention fronting the money for the site etc. etc....

if i win more than $300 ill throw the commish $20....$50 if its over $500.

as a commish i think that most of the work is coordinating the draft (getting 12 people to put 2 hours aside at the same time is suprisingly very difficult. and even finding 11 can be alot of recruiting work if you don't have a bunch of friends that want to toss in $100+ to play this crazy game). We do lin person drafts at a bar which is also a little more difficult to coordinate over an internet draft.

ive been tipped once or twice and i dont expect it , but it is nice and i always use the guideline above as my rule of thumb for fantasy commish tipping

What the hell is a Lin Person???

In my local we swtich up commissioners every couple of years. We have been together 11 years so the league pretty much runs itself. So no tips are given.

I have tipped out people who run pools or square sheets. If I win I throw them a few bucks in the hope that they find me for next years pool or save me a square or two.

there is a guy at work here. he runs one of those pick five games with spread pool, you know that one where - compaired to any other 5 game parlay - ends up having a horrible payoff (especially because you can split).

Not only does his brother take money off of the top - but this clown bullies folk into giving him 10%. He'll go around talking trash when he is not paid his 10%. And he runs around getting this pool filled out during the work hours. With conversations and such - I'd venture that he spends perhaps 6+ hours of every work week getting picks and such.

Your paycheck is your tip, dbag.

I hate this guy. sorry. just thought about him and it pissed me off. I know well enough not to join the pool - I just don't like the pressure he puts on others.

Edited by Duchess Jack

To those who don't think commishes do much, what folk need to realize is whatever back and forth they have with the commish every year - you need to multiply that by 12. sometimes its like herding cats - especially with competative owners.

Pretty funny that people think the Commish doesn't do much, even if its a league run by a website. Draft coordination,making sure everyone is paid, making sure everyone is back for the next year, inputting all the settings, schedules,answering questions, settling issues...the list goes on and on.

Maybe its just our league and we have respect for each other and the job the Commish does....but I can't imagine a scenario where, when there are several hundred dollars that the winner takes home, he can't offer a little something to the Commish (especially as the Fantasy Bowl is around the holidays) as a "thanks for a good job again this year".

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Remind me to never invite you into a league. Commish's do plenty, one league issue and they've earned any small tip they may receive.

Can't imagine you made the championship game in more than one league, so I'll be on the lookout for this :wacko:

:tup:

Didnt think you would actually read this thread.

Not to mention fronting the money for the site etc. etc....

Actually, that is a good point. I buy early to make sure we get the discount. On the other hand, there are always a couple of owners who do not accept full payment when they win and let their dues 'ride' for the next season so they don't have to pay at the draft. You could say, then, that helps me pre-pay for the site.

Also, I buy one of those sticker boards out of my own pocket to track the draft. I tried following online, but not all of my leaguemates have laptops, so it just didn't work out. The sitcker board has been great, as I can leave it up on the wall of the garage for a few days while I plug everybody's rosters into the website. Also, I don't have to write down every pick during the draft while keeping track of my own. From that standpoin, it's $25 or so well spent on my part. Doesn't bother me at all.