[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Singletary fired

DMD

For me, it wasn't just the tirades, it was the fact that he showed, in so many ways, that he completely lacked the demeanor needed to be a coach. At the end of games when they needed to call a time out, most coaches know what's coming, make sure they're near a ref, and calmly call time out. Not Mike, he'd be jumping up and down screaming "TIME OUT!!! TIME OUT!!!".

Dude, that's what a rookie QB does. You're the freaking coach. If there's only one person who has ice water in his veins at crunch time, it needs to be you. How are a bunch of young guys going to settle down enough to take care of business if the coach is flipping out on the sidelines? Not even flipping out at them, just freaking hyperventilating because of the situation.

I saw it one of the first game he coached. The team sucked and it was nice to see them put up a great fight against an AZ team who was much, much better at the time. But, at the end of the game, he spazzed out and they completely botched clock management and looked like they were all in a complete state of panic. I remember thinking, "well, maybe this is just because it was his first time in the position." Problem is, it never seemed to get any better.

But yes, the tirades didn't help. He had those guys wound so freaking tight that they were all petrified of doing the wrong thing. And we all know what happens then.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it wasn't just the tirades, it was the fact that he showed, in so many ways, that he completely lacked the demeanor needed to be a coach. At the end of games when they needed to call a time out, most coaches know what's coming, make sure they're near a ref, and calmly call time out. Not Mike, he'd be jumping up and down screaming "TIME OUT!!! TIME OUT!!!".

Dude, that's what a rookie QB does. You're the freaking coach. If there's only one person who has ice water in his veins at crunch time, it needs to be you. How are a bunch of young guys going to settle down enough to take care of business if the coach is flipping out on the sidelines? Not even flipping out at them, just freaking hyperventilating because of the situation.

I saw it one of the first game he coached. The team sucked and it was nice to see them put up a great fight against an AZ team who was much, much better at the time. But, at the end of the game, he spazzed out and they completely botched clock management and looked like they were all in a complete state of panic. I remember thinking, "well, maybe this is just because it was his first time in the position." Problem is, it never seemed to get any better.

But yes, the tirades didn't help. He had those guys wound so freaking tight that they were all petrified of doing the wrong thing. And we all know what happens then.

these were some of my thoughts on him. from the time he was hired, i was disappointed. loved him as a player and would have liked him to be the DC. 2 weeks later shannahan and holmgren were available. would have loved to have either of them as HC. I have always respected team with a great rb and defense, but i didn't want to see the 9ers go that route. mike was too emotional, and too predictable with the offensive playcalling. still believe that they are a qb and #1 wr away from being competitive. i wish him luck but never thought it was a good fit as hc for the 9ers.

I think if Gore wasn't injured Singletary would still be employed.

That being said, he really came across as a clown and a lunatic. I wouldn't hire him.

I think a lot of niner followers will agree that Singletary may have been responsible for Gore getting injured. Singetary ran Frank into the ground. While this was great for us that had Frank on our fantasy teams, when the team was being blown out he kept Frank in games and kept him running hard into opposing defenses. I hope that Gore can recover from this hip injury and not become another back that's done before he reaches 30yrs old.

The team drafted Smith over Rodgers 5 years ago and that's on the GM (Nolan at the time). The losses this year and poor preparation are on the coaching staff.

I think a lot of niner followers will agree that Singletary may have been responsible for Gore getting injured. Singetary ran Frank into the ground. While this was great for us that had Frank on our fantasy teams, when the team was being blown out he kept Frank in games and kept him running hard into opposing defenses. I hope that Gore can recover from this hip injury and not become another back that's done before he reaches 30yrs old.

The team drafted Smith over Rodgers 5 years ago and that's on the GM (Nolan at the time). The losses this year and poor preparation are on the coaching staff.

Gotta keep in mind. Singletary's coach during his reign of terror was Mike Ditka who wasn't the most pleasant man to play for either. Not excusing Singletary, but it did work for Ditka with 3 divisional titles and a super bowl championship.

Revisting a quote from Singletary about Mike Ditka:

Singletary's no-nonsense approach to the game was ideally suited for the Chicago Bears and fiery head coach Mike Ditka. "The thing I learned from Coach Ditka is to never say die," Mike recalled. "Just go out and lay it on the line every play. And when you don't have it any more, find some way to find more."

Gotta keep in mind. Singletary's coach during his reign of terror was Mike Ditka who wasn't the most pleasant man to play for either. Not excusing Singletary, but it did work for Ditka with 3 divisional titles and a super bowl championship.

Ditka ripped into his players, but he also appeared to know what he was doing. I REALLY wanted Samurai to succeed. My first sign things might have been going strange was the fact he had that stopwatch around his neck during games. What the heck is a HC timing in the middle of the game? Between that and hue cross he started channeling flavor flav.

I don't remember the circumstances of his hiring, so I'm curious about where some of his staff came from. The OC they fired earlier this year called horrendous games. I think the 49ers are lacking a legit QB, though I'd really like to see more out of Troy Smith especially after going nose to nose with Samurai yesterday. That took balls.

I'd like to see him get another shot, and I think he will eventually.

Again, I think people are focusing too much on this "in your face" style. While I do think that had something to do with it. I think his general lack of composure at critical times and his predictable offense had far more to do with his failure to win.

Again, I think people are focusing too much on this "in your face" style. While I do think that had something to do with it. I think his general lack of composure at critical times and his predictable offense had far more to do with his failure to win.

Did you watch Ditka coach???? Or for that matter, hell, every watch Buddy Ryan coach :wacko:

Did you watch Ditka coach???? Or for that matter, hell, every watch Buddy Ryan coach :wacko:

For starters, assuming that he was just like Ditka and Ryan in every way, not just in terms of being "in your face", one needs to recognize that Ditka was the only one of those three to parlay that style into championships. Ryan had a revolutionary defensive scheme that may have simply been good enough to overcome his shortcomings as a leader (but, again, not enough to actually put his over the top). It should also be mentioned that the game has evolved in many ways and being a great motivator is only going to get you so far. The salary cap, for instance means it's harder and harder to simply out-talent anyone anymore. So you actually need to be a better tactician, not just a guy who says, "Let's line up and beat the hell out these guys!" That "scheme" looks a whole lot better when you've got the horses to pull it off.

But, to be honest, I don't remember those guys enough to say whether they truly lost their composure at key times. And I don't mean arguing with the refs. I mean having your chight together when you need to.

Think Joe Montana. It's not like anyone ever considered that guy to be lacking passion or guts, but he knew the team looked to him in times of crisis, so he was cool. So the guys who looked to him were able to relax and take care of business. Singletary freaks out and, as a result, the guys who look to him freak out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe it's like the mob. The boss needs to be cool. You know he wont take any crap from anyone and I'm sure, behind closed doors, he'll rip you a new one if he has to. But a guy like Sonny in the Godfather was never going to be the boss, because he flew off the handle too much.

Do you think anyone in New England questions BB? Do you think anyone would think twice about ignoring what he wants? You can be a discipline guy without being a loose cannon.

Hate it for the guy.

Too bad heart and passion don't win championships.

Or make good head coaches. Agree w/what you said but he's not HC material. Also he's a bit of a nut job from what I've seen/heard. Very much respect that he didn't put up with the ghetto attitudes though. Tons more of that needed in the NFL.

PS and oh btw, same goes for Ditka. Peyton and Ryan's D carried him a lot farther than his talent merited. Great attitude but not the smarts.

Ditka ripped into his players, but he also appeared to know what he was doing. I REALLY wanted Samurai to succeed. My first sign things might have been going strange was the fact he had that stopwatch around his neck during games. What the heck is a HC timing in the middle of the game? Between that and hue cross he started channeling flavor flav.

:wacko::tup::tup:

I thought that was a strange ensemble myself...

Basically what York said was that they were going to hire a general manager first and leave the hiring of the HC up to the new general manager

Ya think?!!

Why is this concept so hard to grasp for so many owners?

Let a proven expert in the NFL's brand of professional football put an organization together to run the team...

... or, interview a coach or two on your own and hire him yourself... after all, being a world class vacum salesman qualifies you for just this sort of thing, and it's your team anyway! :wacko:

PS and oh btw, same goes for Ditka. Peyton and Ryan's D carried him a lot farther than his talent merited. Great attitude but not the smarts.

:wacko: The fact you can't even make it the right Payton, much less the stupidity of the rest of your statement, shows just how ignorant you are regarding this subject. Big surprise.

Misspelling the name of the great Walter Payton should get you banned from the boards for at least the next 6 months. Not to mention this is the same crap we've been hearing for the last 25 years. How'd it work out for Ryan in Phillly? Ditka did just fine, thank you very much.

:tup: The fact you can't even make it the right Payton, much less the stupidity of the rest of your statement, shows just how ignorant you are regarding this subject. Big surprise.

:wacko: Your little trolling dribbles show how immature and your total lack of an intelligent rebuttal how stupid you are. There's the shocker. But enjoy your gigglefest.

Misspelling the name of the great Walter Payton should get you banned from the boards for at least the next 6 months. Not to mention this is the same crap we've been hearing for the last 25 years. How'd it work out for Ryan in Phillly? Ditka did just fine, thank you very much.

You may note I never said Ryan was HC material either. I guess this is the extent of the brilliant Bear fan rebuttals. Impressive.

I don't remember the circumstances of his hiring, so I'm curious about where some of his staff came from. The OC they fired earlier this year called horrendous games. I think the 49ers are lacking a legit QB, though I'd really like to see more out of Troy Smith especially after going nose to nose with Samurai yesterday. That took balls.

I'd like to see him get another shot, and I think he will eventually.

I agree. When I heard he had the coaching job I was hoping he would have a long career as a coach and when the "pants" incident happened I did wonder and things did tend to go south from there (lol, including the pants).

Edited by BearBroncos

Or make good head coaches. Agree w/what you said but he's not HC material. Also he's a bit of a nut job from what I've seen/heard. Very much respect that he didn't put up with the ghetto attitudes though. Tons more of that needed in the NFL.

It must be as bad to Bears fans as learning they don't know who their father is, but there is plenty of truth to this. Ditka was the right guy at the right time and did put together one magical season as well as a nice run overall. Maybe saying he wasn't HC material is going too far, but it did not appear Ditka out-smarted anyone. Would Walsh's Niners, BB's Patriot, Polian's Colts, or Johnson's Cowboys given away an entire draft for one player? Hell, Johnson actually built the Cowboys dynasty by doing the exact opposite when Minnesota mortgaged their future for Walker.

With a great RB, tons of talent on D, and an outstanding DC, you can just fire up the troops, line up, and kick the other team's ass. And that's what he did. It's hard to get away with that anymore though. That makes you an analog guy in a digital world. For starters, the cap means that everyone's got talent and that was simply not the case back then. Hell, at one point, the Niners had the two best QBs in the league. That's not going to happen again. You simply can't afford to have 5 future HOFs on D any more, because you can't pay them all enough. So, now you need to actually scheme.