[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elway

SLAYER

As long as he doesn't decide he's a GM like Millen....

Ozzie Newsome has done pretty well but he didn't jump into a GM role

Yes but I believe Ozzie started of as an assistant or something first and worked his way up.

Please tell me in what way is he qualified to be a judge of talent?

Hell if it wasn't for TD he would never had won a SB.

Just wow.

As far as Elway being in charge of personnel decisions and Xanders having to answer to him: :wacko:

Now add Schlereth as his immediate assistant as Schlereth has offered to do and we're headed in the direction we need to right the current trainwreck.

I was going to start this very thread a few days but I did'nt feel like arguing about it. I don't get it either

Trust me I don't intend on arguing about it, I just thought a Bronco homer could shed some light on why.

I mean is he any more qualified than McShiat was?

Edited by SLAYER

Trust me I don't intend on arguing about it, I just thought a Bronco homer could shed some light on why.

I mean is he any more qualified than McShiat was?

He has been in and around football a lot longer. I have no idea how well he can evaluate talent, but what the heck... Give him a shot. It's not like things can get much worse anyway. The Broncos are currently the ttwarrior4 of NFL franchises.

He has been in and around football a lot longer. I have no idea how well he can evaluate talent, but what the heck... Give him a shot. It's not like things can get much worse anyway. The Broncos are currently the ttwarrior4 of NFL franchises.

:wacko:

as far as I know he has no experience. I could be wrong..

Elway has substantial experience. First off, he's a very successful businessman and entrepenuer. He has a degree from Stanford in Economics. He also was an owner and the CEO of the AFL's Colorado Crush. Now, before that gets scoffed at so badly, he managed to run a winning team while competing for the same talent pool as all other teams in the league. So while he hasn't been involved in the business personnel end of a NFL franchise, he has been the head honcho of a pro football franchise, running it from the top down, and has been involved in player evaluations and decision making as well as negotiating contracts. That of course doesn't include his stellar 16 year pro career.

It also should be noted that he doesn't want the GM position and admits that he doesn't have the experience to make the day-to-day personnel decisions.

Elway has substantial experience. First off, he's a very successful businessman and entrepenuer. He has a degree from Stanford in Economics. He also was an owner and the CEO of the AFL's Colorado Crush. Now, before that gets scoffed at so badly, he managed to run a winning team while competing for the same talent pool as all other teams in the league. So while he hasn't been involved in the business personnel end of a NFL franchise, he has been the head honcho of a pro football franchise, running it from the top down, and has been involved in player evaluations and decision making as well as negotiating contracts. That of course doesn't include his stellar 16 year pro career.

It also should be noted that he doesn't want the GM position and admits that he doesn't have the experience to make the day-to-day personnel decisions.

Thank you

well, I said I could be wrong. Guess I was :wacko:

Please tell me in what way is he qualified to be a judge of talent?

Hell if it wasn't for TD he would never had won a SB.

It was Elway that restructured his contract down to the veteran minimum so that the team could resign TD a year before going into the two SB winning seasons. I call that a great personnel move. :wacko:

Is Xanders good enough?

I don't know. But with Elway and possibly another former pro player (maybe Schlereth, who understands the game very well from what I have heard during his ESPN gig and during his local radio show) giving advice and having them to bounce stuff off of, we may see. There is no guarantee that Xanders will survive beyond the end of the year.

/thread

not only that, but as "the franchise" for 16 years, he's been right in the middle of seeing what works and what doesn't. the dan reeves era, with good-but-not-great teams that elway managed to drag into the super bowl 3 times, the collapse of that era, followed by the mediocrity of the brief wade phillips, followed by the methodical construction of the kind of powerhouse team that won back to back super bowls. and he's really close with a lot of other people around the league who really know their schight.

in short, I think elway's qualified for the job he's been given. and I think it's a good hire. but mostly I just see it as desperation on bowlen's part, somehow trying to get back what's gone.

not only that, but as "the franchise" for 16 years, he's been right in the middle of seeing what works and what doesn't. the dan reeves era, with good-but-not-great teams that elway managed to drag into the super bowl 3 times, the collapse of that era, followed by the mediocrity of the brief wade phillips, followed by the methodical construction of the kind of powerhouse team that won back to back super bowls. and he's really close with a lot of other people around the league who really know their schight.

in short, I think elway's qualified for the job he's been given. and I think it's a good hire. but mostly I just see it as desperation on bowlen's part, somehow trying to get back what's gone.

I pretty much agree with all this...and would add that Bolen is also probably trying to grab back some fans he lost with the McDillweed hiring

Sold his dealerships for $82.5 million.

To the owner of the Miami Dolphins Wayne Huizenga and before it switched to Auto Nation, Elway was making something in the ball park of 15+ million a year being the spokesman for the Huizenga "Elway" dealership.

As BB noted, Elway also created a champion team in the Arena football league.

It seems that Elways is the Midas of business in every endevor, from his dealerships or his resturuants has been gold. Even as a Bronco, he made that franchise an elite team for years.

If anything, it helps the fan base out in knowing their super star is helping make a difference in this team.

He used to own a car dealership empire... I believe I heard he sold it off for hundreds of millions years ago.

Hey, it's more relevant than vacum cleaner salesman...

I think... :wacko:

Didn't Mario have a stake in a big car dealership too???

Anyway back on point.....

Elway clearly has experence. Also have u noticed what happens to NFL coaches, and Players when they retire from football. They become announcers. The reason for this is due to them having studied film of most of the NFL teams. They know how each defence and offence works and are able to analyze it.

I'll grant he's been away from the NFL but u I'll bet that Elway is still able to do that sort of stuff and see talent....

Elway strikes me as a guy who will not complicate matters or "overthink" an issue.

In other words, he will not allow the team to trade up in the early rounds for a blocking tight end that nobody has ever heard of.

I think Xanders will stay on, because I think Bowlen and Ellis respect him and want to give him more authority and see what he can do. Who knows, though, what goes on under the circus tent that is Dove Valley. :wacko:

To the owner of the Miami Dolphins Wayne Huizenga and before it switched to Auto Nation, Elway was making something in the ball park of 15+ million a year being the spokesman for the Huizenga "Elway" dealership.

As BB noted, Elway also created a champion team in the Arena football league.

It seems that Elways is the Midas of business in every endevor, from his dealerships or his resturuants has been gold. Even as a Bronco, he made that franchise an elite team for years.

If anything, it helps the fan base out in knowing their super star is helping make a difference in this team.

It has always puzzled friends of mine, and at times myself on my long commutes down the Merritt Parkway, why and how I can so admire John Elway so much as a Raider fan. He's in my top 5 fave QBs of all time, and he killed me for most of his 16 years. He was a fantastic, elite QB who carried that team and when he finally had players around him in his 4th SB, he proved to be the heart of that team with the gutsiest scramble I have still to this day have ever seen. There, I said it again. I fawn over this schmoe like I do Manning and a few Raider QBs.

I would imagine to not only being the heart of the fan base to the Broncos (am I wrong with this?), he is a proven successful business man and football professional with his Arena team. He is exactly what the Broncos need moving forward.

Him and Jay Cutler.

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad