[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homefield advantage question

Seahawk

No, and how in the world do you decide who is "home" in a FF game? :wacko:

In Dash-4, the team seeded #1 has 'home field advantage' throughout the playoffs. Therefore, if that team ties an opponent in a playoff game (unlikely since we use decimal scoring), the #1 seed would win the game. If the game were the #3 seed vs the #6 seed, the #3 team has 'home field advantage.'

We tried it in HHFFL this season, which is a 32 team league based on the actual NFL teams and their schedules, but MFL could not support it with the double headers we use so we did away with it for now.

FF is a game.

How in the Seven Hells do you get a home field advantage in a game?

Do you get an extra 2 armies when you cash in a card when people play Risk at your house? Maybe you get $250 instead of $200 for passing go in Monopoly, but only if the game is played at your house. Maybe an extra pop of the dice every fourth turn if we play Trouble at your place? An extra river card is the monthly poker game is in your garage?

Seriously. WTF?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I already felt angry when the rule was implamented into the league at the begining of the year. Now, I fell even worse losing by one point to go into the finals (100/99) with me being the #4 seed (9-5) going against the #1 seed (10-4) in a 12 team league. Lucky this league isn't for money just bragging rights. I almost wish I hadn't posted this thread thinking it might be common practice or at least semi common, now seeing that it's almost never used I fell ripped off.

I know ESPN creates a home/away schedule for the regular season but we've never had any bonus points for being the home team...

thii is just another example why I think bonus points are stupid. I hate bonus points for X number of yards or home field advantage and any other stupid thing people can think up. Bonus point do one of 2 things, they either help people win more (in which case they aren't needed) or they help people win who should have won (in which case it is an unfair advantage)

No, and how in the world do you decide who is "home" in a FF game? :wacko:

That's a good point.

Arbitrarily designating a team the "home team" and giving it points is a completely bad idea.

If you want to designate the superior team the "home team" and give it a point or two, or use it as a tiebreaker, particularly in the playoffs, I can understand it.

I've never played in a league with either.

Edited by Furd

I already felt angry when the rule was implamented into the league at the begining of the year. Now, I fell even worse losing by one point to go into the finals (100/99) with me being the #4 seed (9-5) going against the #1 seed (10-4) in a 12 team league. Lucky this league isn't for money just bragging rights. I almost wish I hadn't posted this thread thinking it might be common practice or at least semi common, now seeing that it's almost never used I fell ripped off.

Don't feel ripped off... Even with my money leagues, we still have some BS rules all the time we'd like to see changed, that are only still there in some cases because the rule hadn't been adequately tested in practice...

All this is, is another example of how people will try to make FF as much like real football as possible, without realizing that the games are inherently different, and should be treated as such. So no, it doesn't make sense to me that you get HFA points when all of your starters might have been playing away games, but it doesn't mean that's what the rule-makers they were thinking when they made a rule....

Leagues with well-thought-out rules and scoring are not made over night, unless you copy and paste from a more experienced one.. They can take trial-and-error to see what works for your league. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig though....

I know ESPN creates a home/away schedule for the regular season but we've never had any bonus points for being the home team...

thii is just another example why I think bonus points are stupid. I hate bonus points for X number of yards or home field advantage and any other stupid thing people can think up. Bonus point do one of 2 things, they either help people win more (in which case they aren't needed) or they help people win who should have won (in which case it is an unfair advantage)

MFL also creates a schedule with "Team X @ Team Y" and so on. It's meaningless, as it should be.

Completely agree with all your comments on all kinds of bonuses (with the sole exception of extra points for longer field goals).

That's a good point.

Arbitrarily designating a team the "home team" and giving it points is a completely bad idea.

If you want to designate the superior team the "home team" and give it a point or two, or use it as a tiebreaker, particularly in the playoffs, I can understand it.

I've never played in a league with either.

Having home field advantage as a tie breaker in the playoffs is fine. It means u were the better team during the regular season and had the better record. Some leauges also like to termine this with total points for the regular season (which is also a fair way to measure a team success)

Either way these 2 systems are determed at the end of the regular season. The best way to avoid ties during the regular season is use a decimal system (which I've seen several leauge move to)