[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Replay Challenges

MikesVikes

The Leauge has to fix the way that they replay challenges or how they call receptions. It is an embarrassement to the league the way it stands now. Calvin Johnson's overturned TD has directly influenced the NFC North Division results. Plays called touchdowns are overturned in one game and not the next. It is a coin flip on if a ruling on a play will change or not. You can slow a play down as much as you want but it is going to be impossible for a ball that is firmly in a receiver's hands to not move even though he has a firm grip on the ball.

FIX IT.

The Leauge has to fix the way that they replay challenges or how they call receptions. It is an embarrassement to the league the way it stands now. Calvin Johnson's overturned TD has directly influenced the NFC North Division results. Plays called touchdowns are overturned in one game and not the next. It is a coin flip on if a ruling on a play will change or not. You can slow a play down as much as you want but it is going to be impossible for a ball that is firmly in a receiver's hands to not move even though he has a firm grip on the ball.

FIX IT.

Yep.

I like to think I know a little about football :wacko: , but I am not even sure whats a catch anymore. Balls trapped under receivers, clearly pressed against the turf, are called complete and then upheld. WRs (CJ) making a brilliant catch, then losing the ball as he is getting up to celebrate, are ruled incomplete.

It seems instant replay, in spite of the times it makes the right decision, is now confusing the issue more than clearing it up.

FIX IT.

I am assuming the Sidney Rice overturned TD prompted this post. I agree with you that the NFL looks dumb right now. Hopefully they figure it out this offseason and update the rulebook.

I kind of miss the days of officials screwing up a call live. At least then, the flow of the game wasn't interrupted. Seems like in today's NFL, once you get within the 2-minute warning, the officials are so scared of missing a call they will review ANYTHING that isn't 100% blatantly obvious.

I probably posted this because of the Sidney Rice play, but to be honest, that one play didn't cause me to lose any sleep last night.

I'm looking at the bigger picture when week after week plays are reversed or not reversed and nobody but the ref deciding the call under the hood has any clue at all about what will happen until the ref makes the announcement. The announcers, many of whom have actually played the game as a QB or receiver, have no clue on the decision either.

I'd like to see a network broadcast every reception that has been challenged this year and show them one right after the other. You wouldn't see much difference in those plays that have been called either way during the season.

Before the NFL put the rule about "completing the catch" on receptions that involved players going to the ground, everyone was complaining too.

Chris Carter would catch a ball for a split second as he was falling out of bounds, have two feet in, but lose the ball when he hit the ground. It would be ruled a catch.

Or guys would catch the ball for millisecond in the end zone before getting blasted (and dropping it) and it would be ruled a TD. And then sometimes it wouldn't.

I think the new rule is good. If you fall to the ground, you have to maintain the catch the whole way through. It's actually a very simple rule. Very easy for the refs to interpret. Very consistent. Smart receivers hang on to the ball before they celebrate.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think the NFL has to learn something from the CFL (Canadian Football League). Actually, it could learn a few things. But with this issue, the CFL has one or two people in charge of Replays and they are all done in Toronto. It takes a few minutes and then the call is made. No going under the hood and no pressure on the Ref's.

And don't get me wrong. I love the NFL , but I also love the CFL. Exciting game. But I can't stand the OT rule in the NFL. So boring. The CFL has a pretty exciting OT platform.

Yep.

I like to think I know a little about football :wacko: , but I am not even sure whats a catch anymore. Balls trapped under receivers, clearly pressed against the turf, are called complete and then upheld. WRs (CJ) making a brilliant catch, then losing the ball as he is getting up to celebrate, are ruled incomplete.

It seems instant replay, in spite of the times it makes the right decision, is now confusing the issue more than clearing it up.

I'm pretty sure Shiancoe had this exact play during one of the Vikes-Packers games and it was called incomplete.

If I was to change something, I'd want MORE things reviewable. In particular, pass interference calls. The NFL uses clips to show refs what "is" and what "isn't" PI, why cant they use replay to confirm or overturn it? It's the biggest penalty, and potential game changer, in the NFL. I'd also like to see them be able to review "hits to the head of a defense-less" receiver. Sometimes those get called and it's not intentional (the Philly game against Collie) or it isn't there at all (Bethea's penalty vs. Jax). I'd also like them to be able to review personal fouls after the whistle to determine who the instigator is and who deserves a penalty and who does not. I hate the "off-setting person fouls" call.

Edited by CaptainHook

If I was to change something, I'd want MORE things reviewable. In particular, pass interference calls. The NFL uses clips to show refs what "is" and what "isn't" PI, why cant they use replay to confirm or overturn it? It's the biggest penalty, and potential game changer, in the game. I'd also like to see them be able to review "hits to the head of a defense-less" receiver. Sometimes those get called and it's not intentional (the Philly game against Collie) or it isn't there at all (Bethea's penalty vs. Jax). I'd also like them to be able to review personal fouls after the whistle to determine who the instigator is and who deserves a penalty and who does not. I hate the "off-setting person fouls" call.

Seriously? Why even have refs then? Why not just have replay officials look at tape after every play to make sure nobody cheated. And if they do cheat, just announce it over the PA system.

I like the idea of getting the call right, but only to a point. How frickin' long do you want these games to last, dude? I don't think I could watch NFL games if they reviewed all this crap.

Seriously? Why even have refs then? Why not just have replay officials look at tape after every play to make sure nobody cheated. And if they do cheat, just announce it over the PA system.

I like the idea of getting the call right, but only to a point. How frickin' long do you want these games to last, dude? I don't think I could watch NFL games if they reviewed all this crap.

You would still only have two challenges, with a third available if you got the first two right.

You would still only have two challenges, with a third available if you got the first two right.

What about the seemingly endless 2 minute drill? Those things last longer than the end of a close basketball game. The refs are scared chitless of making the wrong call now.

What about the seemingly endless 2 minute drill? Those things last longer than the end of a close basketball game. The refs are scared chitless of making the wrong call now.

Although annoying, in the end, I'd rather make sure they get things right.

I'm pretty sure Shiancoe had this exact play during one of the Vikes-Packers games and it was called incomplete.

Exactly...and I've seen a bunch of them called "complete", which is why its so frustrating as a fan to understand.

Used to be that, in order to be ruled a catch, the ball couldn't come in contact with the ground...now its "as long as the WR has control"...which is subjective. What is control? How long? What is a football move? When it was black and white, at least everyone knew what was up.

If you fall to the ground, you have to maintain the catch the whole way through. It's actually a very simple rule. Very easy for the refs to interpret. Very consistent. Smart receivers hang on to the ball before they celebrate.

I can live with any rule that has consistency. I don't see any of that though. Why do you think that many announcers have basically given up on predicting the outcomes of a challenge? Because they call games every week and every week the rules aren't consistent. I can't agree with you on this one at all.

I can live with any rule that has consistency. I don't see any of that though. Why do you think that many announcers have basically given up on predicting the outcomes of a challenge? Because they call games every week and every week the rules aren't consistent. I can't agree with you on this one at all.

I guess I should have had said "more consistent than the previous rule." I do think it has been that. Most of the time, if a guy loses control of the football after going to the ground to make a catch, they have ruled it incomplete. Even if it is ridiculous, like the Calvin Johnson TD.

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think they get fined, but they are graded. Bad grades can cost you play-off games and money that comes with them.

Then how did those ref in last year's playoff get good grades???? Cause I remember terrible calls during almost all of the playoff games last year...

Replays do mess with the flow of a game. If i were a head coach and a team is driving and there is a questionable call I throw my red hanky just to ice the other teams offence let them cool down for a couple mins. If I win I didn't use a TO and if I lose I just messed with pace of their offence.

Also replays are where u see the big differance between good coaches and bad coaches IMO.... I've seen good coaches not challage a play cause it doesn't effect the game that much and i've seen bad coaches challege a spot for no reason at all.....

I also think that the best thing instant replay is good for is fumbles. Catches are hard to determine but replay tell us almost everytime if it was a fumble or not.