[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Playoff Schedule

Brentastic

Does the NFL have a set formula on scheduling playoff games? I'm trying to schedule some friends to come up to Chicago for a playoff weekend and we'd like to do it the 2nd weekend of the playoffs when the Bears have their first game - BUT only if the game is on Saturday. As of now, nfl.com has all games as TBD but I was hoping there is a set formula. For instance, the #1 seed always gets the Saturday night game etc...

Big John to the rescue!

I am pretty sure it is determined by which teams win the weekend before and then how the seeding lines up.

Whichever day the winning wild card teams won on to advance, they will play again that same day the following week. Saturday for Saturday, Sunday for Sunday. To give each of the teams advancing a full 7 days between games. I don't believe you'll see a team play on Sunday and have to come back the following Saturday.

So to answer your question, you won't know when the Bears play until after the wild card games have been played.

Edited by BillyBalata

I am pretty sure it is determined by which teams win the weekend before and then how the seeding lines up.

Whichever day the winning wild card teams won on to advance, they will play again that same day the following week. Saturday for Saturday, Sunday for Sunday. To give each of the teams advancing a full 7 days between games. I don't believe you'll see a team play on Sunday and have to come back the following Saturday.

Yeah, they have. The Colts had to do it one year, and Polian was not happy.

NFL WILD CARD WEEKEND

Saturday, January 8

NFC: 4:30 PM (ET) New Orleans at St. Louis/Seattle (NBC-TV)

AFC: 8:00 PM (ET) New York Jets at Indianapolis (NBC-TV)

Sunday, January 9

AFC: 1:00 PM (ET) Baltimore at Kansas City (CBS-TV)

NFC: 4:30 PM (ET) Green Bay at Philadelphia (FOX-TV)

NFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS

Saturday, January 15

AFC: 4:30 PM (ET) Indianapolis or Kansas City or Baltimore at Pittsburgh (CBS-TV)

NFC: 8:00 PM (ET) St. Louis/Seattle or New Orleans or Green Bay at Atlanta (FOX-TV)

Sunday, January 16

NFC: 1:00 PM (ET) Philadelphia or St. Louis/Seattle or New Orleans at Chicago (FOX-TV)

AFC: 4:30 PM (ET) Kansas City or Baltimore or New York Jets at New England (CBS-TV)

The AFC (CBS, 6:30 p.m. ET) and NFC (FOX, 3 p.m. ET) Championship Games will be played on Sunday, January 23.

The 2011 Pro Bowl (FOX, 7 p.m. ET) will be played on Sunday, January 30 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii, one week before Super Bowl XLV takes place at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Sunday, February 6 (FOX, 6:30 PM ET).

Edited by myhousekey

NFL WILD CARD WEEKEND

Sunday, January 9

NFC: 4:30 PM (ET) Green Bay at Philadelphia (FOX-TV)

NFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS

Saturday, January 15

NFC: 8:00 PM (ET) St. Louis/Seattle or New Orleans or Green Bay at Atlanta (FOX-TV)

Ouch! If the Packers win, they have to play Atlanta on a very short week? After a late game Sunday, they'd likely only have three days of practice (Tues-Wed-Thus) before having to travel on Friday to Atlanta.

That doesn't seem right.

Ouch! If the Packers win, they have to play Atlanta on a very short week? After a late game Sunday, they'd likely only have three days of practice (Tues-Wed-Thus) before having to travel on Friday to Atlanta.

That doesn't seem right.

Probably why you don't want to be the 6th seed.

Probably why you don't want to be the 6th seed.

No doubt, but there doesn't seem to be a real logical reason to annouce the dates and times of the Divisional games this early.

If the Eagles win, let them play the Bears on Sunday (as planned). But if the Packers win, why can't they play Atlanta Sunday, and the Saints/Bears would then play on Saturday? Do the same thing for the AFC. That way, every team would be assured a full week of rest?

Edited by i_am_the_swammi