[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pastorini stands by Kubiak

polksalet

The Texans as a franchise believe in building through the draft, not through free agency. They are going to take young players and build them to fit what they need. To build a team with a system like this takes time. Kubiak can not go out and play defensive back, which is where our biggest problem is. The offense is in great shape right now, the front seven is young and coming up. The DBs except for Wilson and Allen are all young and inexperienced players (average age is 25). Quin and Pollard are solid. Wilson and Allen are serviceable and Jackson is jus a rookie. Nolan has flashed some potential. The rest of the DBs would probably not even be rostered on most teams, IMO. If they can get a few guys in there to solidify that secondary I think you would see a much improved team very quickly.

With respect, you people are completely high. Build through the draft? Kubiak has been there 5 years and the Texans now have an unpresentable, embarrassing, atrocious defense. It realistically could be considered one of the worst of all time. It does not take 5 years to rebuild a team - especially when in year 5 that team is 5-10.

After 5 years, there has been not one playoff appearance and not one winning season. The offense is admittedly potent and a definite bright spot but was unable to bail out the defense in several games this season, often due to questionable play calling. Case in point the end of the Denver game: as Gregg Easterbrook has already pointed out, why is Schaub even throwing a pass in that situation? The Texans failed to show up and were demolished in three games this season - against the Giants, Cowboys, and Titans. Who cares how hard you practice when the product on Sunday is so suspect.

"You're not going to get any better than Kubiak," said Phillips. Please explain to me what, on God's green earth, inspires this confidence???

I'll agree with stethant to an extent - the Texans' pass defense this year was one of the worst I'd ever seen. When, we, as fantasy football owners, can say "It's safe to start whichever quarterback is playing against the Texans, regardless of who it is" - it's gotten pretty bad.

However - building a franchise takes time, and what Kubiak has done on offense has been incredibly impressive. Give him a competent defensive coordinator (cue the Wade Phillips rumors), and a first and second round defensive player to throw in with Cushing and Mario, and a vet or two to show the way - and this defense could be in business.

Personally, I applaud McNair for standing by his coach.

It seems more and more owners are taking the easy way out and firing their coaches to appease the fans and media, which consequentially sets most franchises back even more.

It does not take 5 years to rebuild a team - especially when in year 5 that team is 5-10.
You seem to forget that he inherited a team just a year or 3 away from being an expansion franchise with practically nothing to show for its first few years whatsoever. Whole diff story. You also ignore all the progress he made up until this year's debacle, which I agee was bad. But make strides in the secondary and this is right back to being a legit playoff contender.

I'd love to hear who you'd rather have then Kubiak of avail coaches. From what I see they are all unproven or proven you'd rather not have them. You could easily do much worse than Kubiak and careful what you ask for...

5 years? Heck, the Lions have been in rebuild mode for the last decade it seems.

Also, it seems like, regardless of the talent level, coaching has to be an issue if your defense is that terrible. I mean, even the worst talents in the NFL were talented enough to get to the NFL, right? If the Texans can get Wade Phillips in there to run the defense, and if they can upgrade even just a couple of positions in the secondary, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a winning season next year.

With respect, you people are completely high. Build through the draft? Kubiak has been there 5 years and the Texans now have an unpresentable, embarrassing, atrocious defense. It realistically could be considered one of is the worst of all time. It does not take 5 years to rebuild a team - especially when in year 5 that team is 5-10.

After 5 years, there has been not one playoff appearance and not one winning season. The offense is admittedly potent and a definite bright spot but was unable to bail out the defense in several games this season, often due to questionable play calling. Case in point the end of the Denver game: as Gregg Easterbrook has already pointed out, why is Schaub even throwing a pass in that situation? The Texans failed to show up and were demolished in three games this season - against the Giants, Cowboys, and Titans. Who cares how hard you practice when the product on Sunday is so suspect.

"You're not going to get any better than Kubiak," said Phillips. Please explain to me what, on God's green earth, inspires this confidence???

Fixed.

You seem to forget that he inherited a team just a year or 3 away from being an expansion franchise with practically nothing to show for its first few years whatsoever. Whole diff story. You also ignore all the progress he made up until this year's debacle, which I agee was bad. But make strides in the secondary and this is right back to being a legit playoff contender.

I'd love to hear who you'd rather have then Kubiak of avail coaches. From what I see they are all unproven or proven you'd rather not have them. You could easily do much worse than Kubiak and careful what you ask for...

Bill Cowher. :wacko:

Houston is in line for greatness. Just a tweak here and there and just freaking WOW. This team will be unstoppable. Just think about it. AJ, Foster, Daniels, Schuab - All probowl caliber players and if they get a young, strong defense.... Houston will be the new "Americas Team".

Just curious as to how many games all of the nay sayers have actually watched over Kubiaks 5 year tenure.

KP is correct in saying that the PASS DEFENSE was horrible this year. As for stethant's comment that it was one of the worst of all time is just asinine. For all of you non Texan fan critics, you need to remember that he took over a horrible team from Dom Capers. Capers was running a (unsuccesful, IMO) 3-4 defense when he was there. Kubiak came in and switched to a 4-3, basically having to change all of the personel. In fact there is not one single defensive player left from that 2005 roster. Look at the players Kubiak and co have added since taking over.

Rookies - Free Agents/Trade

2006 - Owen Daniels, Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, Eric Winston, Kevin Walter

2007 - Amobi Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Zac Diles, Matt Schaub

2008 - Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, Chris Myers, Eugene Wilson

2009 - Brian Cushing, Glover Quin, Arian Foster, Connor Barwin, James Casey, Antonio Smith, Bernard Pollard

2010 - Kareem Jackson

So as a Texans fan I can honestly say that they are adding quality players. I think they are on the right path and now is not the time to make a coaching change. Kubiak still has the respect and loyalty from his players, so he has not "lost the team." Bringing in a new coach would only set this team back another year. Adding defensive back help is going to be the key, whether it be through the draft or free agency.

Houston is in line for greatness. Just a tweak here and there and just freaking WOW. This team will be unstoppable. Just think about it. AJ, Foster, Daniels, Schuab - All probowl caliber players and if they get a young, strong defense.... Houston will be the new "Americas Team".

It's all about defense. They're a great fantasy team, lousy football team. Why? Because they just get torched game in and game out.

The WORST pass defense in the league. You just don't win that way.

If Kubiak was the guy who loaded the secondary with players who couldn't cover a statue, I'd agree that he needs to go. If he isn't the personnel guy, then he ought to stay. To be able to win any games in the current NFL with that secondary shows some coaching genius.

Actually, HOU is in pretty good shape if they can overhaul the atrocious secondary. Their D-line is very solid, the LBs could use a little upgrade but are solid and deep also. The O is deadly in the way it can mix run & pass. The special teams are solid.

When a team continues to lose games in the way they were losing them this year, it's called Lionitis or Brown Syndrome. He needs to go.

And you see how well they have done by constantly changing coaches.

If Kubiak was the guy who loaded the secondary with players who couldn't cover a statue, I'd agree that he needs to go. If he isn't the personnel guy, then he ought to stay. To be able to win any games in the current NFL with that secondary shows some coaching genius.

Actually, HOU is in pretty good shape if they can overhaul the atrocious secondary. Their D-line is very solid, the LBs could use a little upgrade but are solid and deep also. The O is deadly in the way it can mix run & pass. The special teams are solid.

They had Dunta Robinson in 2006-2009 and were mainly searching for a second starter and situational players. When he went to Atlanta they still did not have a true #1, but drafted Kareem Jackson this year to take over that role. He struggled some in his first year, but he's just a rookie. Glover Quin was a great 4th round pick last year. I don't agree with your assesment of the LBs. Ryans, Cushing and Diles make a solid trio if they are all on the field at the same time.