[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pastorini stands by Kubiak

polksalet

And you see how well they have done by constantly changing coaches.

Those teams did not have the talent this team has. You can not simply collapse multiple times the way they have collapsed this year and expect the head coach should continue. I'm sure he's a fine Offensive Coordinator. Just like I'm sure Marvin Lewis is a fine Defensive Coordinator.

Those teams did not have the talent this team has. You can not simply collapse multiple times the way they have collapsed this year and expect the head coach should continue. I'm sure he's a fine Offensive Coordinator. Just like I'm sure Marvin Lewis is a fine Defensive Coordinator.

OK, you admit that he is a fine Offensive Coordinator, yet their problem is on defense. :wacko:

I am OK with bringing in a standout DC and some standout DBs, but that's where the problem lies, so that's where you need to fix things.

KP is correct in saying that the PASS DEFENSE was horrible this year. As for stethant's comment that it was one of the worst of all time is just asinine.

Really? Let's go "Under the Numbers:"

Since 1978 when the league went to a 16-game regular season, exactly one defense (the 1995 Atlanta Falcons) gave up more passing yards per game than the 2010 Houston Texans (277.1 yds/game) have so far.

The Texans run defense has performed better. They have given up 103.5 yds/game so far and, looking at rushing averages given up by defenses since the Texans joined the NFL, that places them around the 75th-77th percentile (higher percentiles=better performance). From this, it's hard to know if their run defense is actually pretty good, or if teams just pass on them and so don't need to run.

When you look at points allowed per game, you get your answer. The 2010 Texans have allowed 27.3 points/game. Again, looking at performances since 1978, that places them in the 5th percentile. Translation: 95% of NFL defenses since 1978 have allowed fewer points per game. What this means is that, in fact, teams have no need to run on the Texans - they get all the points they need through the air. Their combined total yards surrendered per game is at the 3rd percentile, but in fairness that is driven mainly by the passing yards being given up. All these numbers were obtained from the "Statistics" sub-heading on the nfl.com website.

I agree that "historically" bad, or "one of the worst of all time" can be a subjective call. Numbers though don't lie, and the buck has to stop at the head coach's door. Given the uncertainties for the coming season, you can make a plausible economic argument to hang on to Kubiak for one year. If you do, you'd better have eyes wide open as to what the metrics of a successful season will be, and then unemotionally apply them at the end of 2011 and make your head coaching call.

I know he's past his prime, but Champ Bailey will be on the market, and he might be a nice fit in Houston for the next couple years while the young guys emerge. I'd like to see Houston get aggressive during free agency to try to solve the problem in the immediate future. Drafting defensive players, while important, is less likely to get you where you want to be in the short term.