[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ways you would like or will to change your rules next year

BeeR

Our rules have evolved and IMO are very tight and handle just about every possibility. However:

FA moves end at kickoff Sunday. That effed me up and another owner up for a MNF game so push hard for a change to kickoff MNF (caveat you can't pick up after their game has started of course).

Tie-breakers for playoffs worked but were exposed as lacking. Closer look and tighter/clearer rules next year.

I was thinking about instituting a "challenge flag" rule for next year. Each team gets two "challenges" for the season. A "challenge" essentially allows them to replace one player in their starting lineup with another player who hasn't yet played. Two caveats:

1 - You can't use both challenges in one game.

2 - You can't use a them in the playoffs (they expire at the end of the regular season).

So as an example, say Andre Johnson gets hurt in the 1st quarter of a 1:00pm game. If I want to, I can throw a challenge flag and sub in any player on my roster with a 4:00, Sunday night, or Monday night kickoff. Since all teams get a challenge, it evens itself out.

I was thinking about instituting a "challenge flag" rule for next year. Each team gets two "challenges" for the season. A "challenge" essentially allows them to replace one player in their starting lineup with another player who hasn't yet played. Two caveats:

2 - You can't use a them in the playoffs (they expire at the end of the regular season).

So as an example, say Andre Johnson gets hurt in the 1st quarter of a 1:00pm game. If I want to, I can throw a challenge flag and sub in any player on my roster with a 4:00, Sunday night, or Monday night kickoff. Since all teams get a challenge, it evens itself out.

Would this be for injuries only or could you swap a guy our just because he but up a low score?

Would this be for injuries only or could you swap a guy our just because he but up a low score?

It could be for a low score, as long as the swap was made prior to kickoff of the inserted player's game. I just used injury as an obvious example of when you might consider using it. I like this as a last gasp if you need to swing for the fences. Picture this... After the 4:00 games are over, you are down 116-105. Both you and your opponent are done. But you have a Sunday night player on your bench. Since you have nothing to lose, you decide to throw a challenge flag and sub out your lowest scoring RB/WR for said player on the bench. Chances are good that you still lose, but it gives you one last shot (there is a reason the guy was on your bench, but you luck out and he has a big game). This could also be useful in situations where a stud player is a GTD for a late game or night game, and you don't want to risk taking a zero if he sits. Well, you can play someone else in his stead, and if you think you need the points to win your matchup, sub in the stud player if they are ruled active.

BTW, if the league doesn't go for this proposal, I will change the proposal to be only to sub out injured players.

I like it. Will suggest.

I like this but our league plays a couple of weeks as double headers - if you used it during one of those weeks you are getting more bang for your buck. I am not sure if that means anything but something to consider - it may give someone added use of the challenge flag for those weeks - some weeks the games just don't work out that you would even be able to use it - does that make it not equally fair for all teams??

I like this but our league plays a couple of weeks as double headers - if you used it during one of those weeks you are getting more bang for your buck. I am not sure if that means anything but something to consider - it may give someone added use of the challenge flag for those weeks - some weeks the games just don't work out that you would even be able to use it - does that make it not equally fair for all teams??

I don't have doubleheaders, but if it's only a couple weeks where doubleheaders exist, I'd probably just make the rule state that you can't use a challenge during a doubleheader week.

One league I commish allows for a waiver move up until Monday night's game for any player who has not played. (MFL allows for this) So, if a late scratch occurs on a Monday night game, a move can still be made. What occurred to me was that a blocking move could be made, and I don't like that possibility. I want to add a new rule that says any player picked up after the 1pm kickoffs on Sunday must be inserted into that owner's starting line up. People can still block, but not after the Sunday kickoff that way. They will HAVE to start any player obtained on waivers after the 1pm kickoffs.

I don't like that challenge concept at all. It opens up a can of worms, and if you think it through, creates too many other loopholes to exploit. If Andre Johnson gets injured in the first quarter, sorry, you are screwed. What if he comes back in the second half? You have a rule for that? Maybe Schaub gets hurt, and even though AJ insn't hurt, can you still make a challenge? To swap ot AJ? A commisioner's nightmare.

I don't like that challenge concept at all. It opens up a can of worms, and if you think it through, creates too many other loopholes to exploit. If Andre Johnson gets injured in the first quarter, sorry, you are screwed. What if he comes back in the second half? You have a rule for that? Maybe Schaub gets hurt, and even though AJ insn't hurt, can you still make a challenge? To swap ot AJ? A commisioner's nightmare.

The only can of worms would be if the rule only applied to players who leave a game due to injury (because that would require that the player leave the game and not return, and yes it then becomes a lot more difficult to manage). Otherwise, if this is just any player, it's simple. I have to post on our league message board if I want to use a challenge, which player I'm subbing out, and which one I am subbing in. Simply put, I get two opportunities during the season to take out a player whose game is in progress or has already been completed, and I can only swap in a player whose game hasn't yet started. Everyone else in the league can do this as well. The date/time stamp of the post on the message board is what proves the validity of the challenge.

I've been thinking of other caveats to this rule - maybe each team only starts with one challenge, but they can earn a second challenge by accomplishing one of the following feats:

Getting weekly lowest point total more than twice (the "your team sucks" award)

Having your bench outscore your starters more than twice (the "you suck at lineup decisions" award)

Losing by 2 or fewer points more than twice (the "your luck sucks" award)

Our rules have evolved and IMO are very tight and handle just about every possibility. However:

FA moves end at kickoff Sunday. That effed me up and another owner up for a MNF game so push hard for a change to kickoff MNF (caveat you can't pick up after their game has started of course).

Hell, we can't even change our lineups past kickoff Sunday. And waivers end at first game of the week, which we've never adjusted for the NFL network Thursday games (so no waivers past Thursday for Weeks 10-16).

Looks like we'll change both of those. It's mainly been just not bothering to revisit such things over the years, not an objection that I know of. I put up a poll, and have 5 votes for one and 6 for the other (out of 10, not counting me) so we'll go to individual game lineup deadlines and at least waivers through Sunday even in those late weeks. Though I think I'll consider it as waivers all the way through (why make the Thursday game special?), but like the idea above of anyone picked up after Sunday kickoff must be put into starting lineup right away to prevent additional blocking. Although we have really tight 14-man rosters (8 starters) so there isn't a ton of real blocking happening. If anyone wanted to block they'd do it earlier in the process anyway. We have request waivers through Friday (Thursday on those weeks) so FCFS doesn't happen until after those are processed. We also have dropped players locked until the following week, unless they are picked up and dropped in the same week. The likelihood of frivolous waiver moves is pretty small in this league.

The poll also included going to total points only and the idea of allotting some prize money to weekly prizes at least part of the season, but I only got two takers each on those. So we probably won't change those.

I like the idea, and with a few tweaks, might be something I present to our league.

One issue though: suppose I draft a lot of players that are on Midwest/West Coast teams (SD, OAK, SEA, SF, DEN, etc). They obviously play in more 4:00 games. Thus, I'd be at a disadvantage to the rest of the league in that I would have a significantly less chance to use my challenges in the right spots, since most of my guys play late. I shouldn't have to account for an add-on rule like challenges to affect the way I compile my team.

Minor, I know, but it could become a problem if,. on a consistent basis, and owner was unable to use his challenges on an ongoing basis (and at the most important times) because of this.

The only can of worms would be if the rule only applied to players who leave a game due to injury (because that would require that the player leave the game and not return, and yes it then becomes a lot more difficult to manage). Otherwise, if this is just any player, it's simple. I have to post on our league message board if I want to use a challenge, which player I'm subbing out, and which one I am subbing in. Simply put, I get two opportunities during the season to take out a player whose game is in progress or has already been completed, and I can only swap in a player whose game hasn't yet started. Everyone else in the league can do this as well. The date/time stamp of the post on the message board is what proves the validity of the challenge.

I've been thinking of other caveats to this rule - maybe each team only starts with one challenge, but they can earn a second challenge by accomplishing one of the following feats:

Getting weekly lowest point total more than twice (the "your team sucks" award)

Having your bench outscore your starters more than twice (the "you suck at lineup decisions" award)

Losing by 2 or fewer points more than twice (the "your luck sucks" award)

I like the concept of a team's red flag but I don't like giving them out to the worst teams... I think this would be a great if just for injuried players. Every year everyone has 1 person who get injuried in an early quarter and gives them a fat goose egg. However if u allow people to challage just to try and win to get a playoff berth ur giving the losing team an unfair advantage. Basically allowing them to gamble on who's going to score more points....

I like the idea of 1 teams challage for injuried players only. They would also have to be injuried during the game and not be inactive.

Very creative idea and with a little tweaking I think it can go a long way...

I sort of find the "challenge" idea somewhat interesting, if only since it could add a bit of an unusual twist ... still, implementation of such a rule would have to be well thought out in advance & the rules on how / when it is to be used in any league very clearly defined ... and I would tend to agree with some of the other comments that if not well defined, could end up being a "commish nightmare" rule to properly enforce.

Using such a rule to allow a team an "out" if desired on the 2 days they suffer that Q1 injury to a key starter has some appeal ... but at the same time, limiting the ability to use the "challenge" to an injury situation does add some unwanted complexity. One conceptual / philosophical issue that I still have with the idea (if implemented so that it can be used in "non-injury" situations) is that it seems on the surface to potentially reward sucky teams, or at least teams with owners that make ill-advised starting lineup decisions more than it could reward good teams, or teams with more astute owners.

Limiting use of the rule to x2 per season helps mitigate that chance I suppose, but I'd still not enjoy being the owner that makes all the right lineup choices all season & starts the right players at the right times (thus being smart or lucky enough to not need to use my 2 "challenges" for the season), but ends up losing 1 or 2 games because a less astute owner - who made a poor lineup choice originally - is allowed a "do-over" that results in his replacement / challenge player winning him a game that he'd have lost under normal circumstances.

Anyways - an interesting concept that I think is at least worthy of a little thought / consideration ... just like any other rule, all the teams in any FF league have to understand the rules of that league, and decide how best to abide by them and still put their own FF team in the most advantageous position to win the game ... but the rules need to be written & enforced in a manner that does not leave room for them to favor either the strong teams / owners or the less-strong teams / owners depending on circumstances for a given week.

Edited by ts

I like the concept of a team's red flag but I don't like giving them out to the worst teams... I think this would be a great if just for injuried players. Every year everyone has 1 person who get injuried in an early quarter and gives them a fat goose egg. However if u allow people to challage just to try and win to get a playoff berth ur giving the losing team an unfair advantage. Basically allowing them to gamble on who's going to score more points....

I like the idea of 1 teams challage for injuried players only. They would also have to be injuried during the game and not be inactive.

Very creative idea and with a little tweaking I think it can go a long way...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just stick with the two challenges per team idea. I also think, just to counterbalance the effect on the "win and get in" playoff games, I might suggest that the challenges can be used from weeks 1 through 11. That way you can't use a bail out in a bubble game. And I also think I am going to propose that any player can be subbed out, not just an injured player (mainly to avoid any gray areas regarding how to determine if a player is considered injured - did they have to leave the game and be ruled out for return?). I think it will most likely get used on a player who gets hurt early in a game and doesn't come back, but it could also be used on a Sims-Walkeresque inexplicable gooseegg.

As for Swammi's comment, as long as it is a redraft league, and as long as everyone knows the rule before drafting, I would simply say that drafting players who typically play late games could be a very, very minor consideration when choosing who to draft (kind of like choosing to draft players based on whether or not their late season schedule might be affected by weather). It's simply a small consideration when drafting your team, one that I don't expect would probably affect anyone's draft plans.

Sorry for the minor hijack on this thread, but I do appreciate the feedback on how to make this rule float successfully.

Edited by MTSuper7

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just stick with the two challenges per team idea. I also think, just to counterbalance the effect on the "win and get in" playoff games, I might suggest that the challenges can be used from weeks 1 through 11. That way you can't use a bail out in a bubble game. And I also think I am going to propose that any player can be subbed out, not just an injured player (mainly to avoid any gray areas regarding how to determine if a player is considered injured - did they have to leave the game and be ruled out for return?). I think it will most likely get used on a player who gets hurt early in a game and doesn't come back, but it could also be used on a Sims-Walkeresque inexplicable gooseegg.

As for Swammi's comment, as long as it is a redraft league, and as long as everyone knows the rule before drafting, I would simply say that drafting players who typically play late games could be a very, very minor consideration when choosing who to draft (kind of like choosing to draft players based on whether or not their late season schedule might be affected by weather). It's simply a small consideration when drafting your team, one that I don't expect would probably affect anyone's draft plans.

Sorry for the minor hijack on this thread, but I do appreciate the feedback on how to make this rule float successfully.

I was just thinking if this rule was standard across all leagues, Sims-Walker would probably lead all players in challenges. "Why did I dress this bum? Throw the challenge flag!!"

Then again if you were a sims-walker owner you'd probably be out of challenges after week 2. Kidding aside I like the creativity MT.

As to beer's original post and swammi's west-coast argument (which is correct) there is more than that. As the season progresses the networks change premium early games into the late National game, plus NBC flexes the best game of the week. All these games involve the best teams and usually some of the best fantasy players. If the NFL can flex the schedule around so much, you need the ability to change your lineups after 12pm Sunday and adjust accordingly if there are possible inactives.

I was just thinking if this rule was standard across all leagues, Sims-Walker would probably lead all players in challenges. "Why did I dress this bum? Throw the challenge flag!!"

Then again if you were a sims-walker owner you'd probably be out of challenges after week 2. Kidding aside I like the creativity MT.

As to beer's original post and swammi's west-coast argument (which is correct) there is more than that. As the season progresses the networks change premium early games into the late National game, plus NBC flexes the best game of the week. All these games involve the best teams and usually some of the best fantasy players. If the NFL can flex the schedule around so much, you need the ability to change your lineups after 12pm Sunday and adjust accordingly if there are possible inactives.

There is another reason I don't like it. Not everyone sits at home every Sunday and has a computer they can get on. This would only benefit the hard core types who never leave the TV room on NFL Sundays. Not everyone makes FF their sole priority in life. I've seen owners miss late player inactive announcements. That's bad enough, but now to expect people to be anchored to their TV and computer all day? It's a bit much for me.

There is another reason I don't like it. Not everyone sits at home every Sunday and has a computer they can get on. This would only benefit the hard core types who never leave the TV room on NFL Sundays. Not everyone makes FF their sole priority in life. I've seen owners miss late player inactive announcements. That's bad enough, but now to expect people to be anchored to their TV and computer all day? It's a bit much for me.

Not necessarily true. If I'm busy all day and don't bother checking player statuses until 6:00 or 6:30pm, I can still sub in a player playing on Sunday night or Monday night for someone who flopped for me today. I'll agree that if I intend to swap in a player from the 4:00 games, I do need to pay attention to what is going on in the 1:00pm games and be in a position to act on it. But we're only talking about two challenges all season.

It's cool if you don't like the idea, Rovers. To each his own. Personally, if this rule does slightly reward the more diligent and attentive owner, that doesn't bother me. I know I'll always be one of those types of owners. I just can't not be.

I'm not generally but so what? Why not reward those who are more on top of things? Plus like you said you don't have to be glued to FF 24/7 or all day or whatever. And really this is likely to have minimal impact over the whole season anyway, so IMO that's a BFD.

What about using the flag rule to tank a game at the end to get a better playoff matchup? ie you will win but substitute for a backup so your opponent wins. What about one team out of the playoffs tanks to let a friend in. Not saying I don't like it, just throwing out thoughts.

Not necessarily true. If I'm busy all day and don't bother checking player statuses until 6:00 or 6:30pm, I can still sub in a player playing on Sunday night or Monday night for someone who flopped for me today. I'll agree that if I intend to swap in a player from the 4:00 games, I do need to pay attention to what is going on in the 1:00pm games and be in a position to act on it. But we're only talking about two challenges all season.

It's cool if you don't like the idea, Rovers. To each his own. Personally, if this rule does slightly reward the more diligent and attentive owner, that doesn't bother me. I know I'll always be one of those types of owners. I just can't not be.

What if you had to pay an additional 25% of your league fee every time you used a challenge?

What if you had to pay an additional 25% of your league fee every time you used a challenge?

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up. My main local has $1 per transaction fees, so I might propose that a challenge costs $3 to use (or maybe $5). I'll bring it up. Thanks!

What about using the flag rule to tank a game at the end to get a better playoff matchup? ie you will win but substitute for a backup so your opponent wins. What about one team out of the playoffs tanks to let a friend in. Not saying I don't like it, just throwing out thoughts.

Good point, which is another reason why I think the idea that was brought up earlier about having to use the challenge by week 11 is important. There wouldn't be any last minute playoff effects, and tanking becomes extremely unlikely. There are other ways to manipulate other rules that could be considered collusion. I don't see how any manipulation of this rule is different. And if someone did use the rule to tank for some reason, that's probably someone I don't want in my league anyway. I'm definitely not worried about that scenario with the people in my main local.

Tie-breakers for playoffs worked but were exposed as lacking. Closer look and tighter/clearer rules next year.

Stop allowing myself to engage in inane discussions such as this.

Wait.....is that a rule or a resolution? :wacko: