[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wade Phillips to be new Texans DC

keggerz

Phillips is back to where he is best and the bar is so low in Houston that anything he does is going be an improvement.

hell he can probably cover better than most in their secondary...but I do 100% agree that he is best suited as a DC...the main question will now be if he keeps the Texans in a 4-3 or makes the switch to the 3-4 that he is known for. Hopefully, he doesn't try to force fit his system to the players the Texans currently have.

hell he can probably cover better than most in their secondary...but I do 100% agree that he is best suited as a DC...the main question will now be if he keeps the Texans in a 4-3 or makes the switch to the 3-4 that he is known for. Hopefully, he doesn't try to force fit his system to the players the Texans currently have.

From everything I've read they will switch to a 3-4 with Mario & Antonio Smith at DE, Cush & Demeco inside, and Barwin at one of the outside spots.

McClain_on_NFL Wade Phillips is coming to the Texans as defensive coordinator. Those wondering what DE Mario Williams will do in his 3-4, check this out:

McClain_on_NFL In 6 years with Wade Phillips, Bruce Smith, a prototype 4-3 DE like Williams, had 65 sacks, including a high of 13 1/2 and a low of 7

McClain_on_NFL I expect secondary coach David Gibbs to be fired. U of Houston DC Brian Stewart could be a possible replacement for Gibbs.

McClain_on_NFL Brian Stewart worked for the Texans before he went to San Diego and worked with Wade Phillips, who also hired Stewart in Dallas.

From everything I've read they will switch to a 3-4 with Mario & Antonio Smith at DE, Cush & Demeco inside, and Barwin at one of the outside spots.

McClain_on_NFL Wade Phillips is coming to the Texans as defensive coordinator. Those wondering what DE Mario Williams will do in his 3-4, check this out:

McClain_on_NFL In 6 years with Wade Phillips, Bruce Smith, a prototype 4-3 DE like Williams, had 65 sacks, including a high of 13 1/2 and a low of 7

McClain_on_NFL I expect secondary coach David Gibbs to be fired. U of Houston DC Brian Stewart could be a possible replacement for Gibbs.

McClain_on_NFL Brian Stewart worked for the Texans before he went to San Diego and worked with Wade Phillips, who also hired Stewart in Dallas.

We will see and at least hope he can be successful but I just hate that we are losing another D to the "dark side"...and I also wouldn't be shocked to see Cushing end up at OLB too...lots of fun just getting started this offseason :wacko:

HOU just gained significant credibility for their D for next year.

Phillips is a classic example of a guy who royally sucks as a HC and is stellar as a coordinator. The guy flat out understands how to put together a NFL D.

I'm no fan of Kubiak (see other thread), but I believe this. The defense now has to improve and with it the chances that Foster can repeat his magnificent 2010 performance. I just hope Wade Phillips has something left in the tank - there's no way he enjoyed the last year or two in Dallas.

The Texans biggest problem this is it's passing D. I lost count of how many times I started a goof WR and he put up amazing numbers cause he was against Hou.

By having them switch to a 3-4 that instantly puts an extra LB or DB downfield. Granted we'll have to see how it works in the pre season next year and in the first couple games but that is a signigiant change.

By having them switch to a 3-4 that instantly puts an extra LB or DB downfield. Granted we'll have to see how it works in the pre season next year and in the first couple games but that is a signigiant change.

:wacko:

edit: a healthy Mario Williams no matter the scheme will also be a positive for the Texans D next year.

Edited by keggerz

+1

uggggh :wacko:

As a Charger fan worried about losing Rivera, I was hoping he would be available to come back if this happened.

As a budding Texans fan (I always try to root for the home team as long as it doesn't hurt the Chargers), I think this is a great move for them. The offense does not need a lot of help and I think that Phillips will have and instant impact on the Texans D.

The biggest worry that I have is that it could evolve into a Charger type scenario. A HC that is a great OC added to a solid DC but no real HC to run the show.