[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 DRAFT: players, positions you think teams should or will take

BeeR

Not going to get too much into specific players yet. Anyway, my team first: Colts. Same old story. Try to put together a better D, esp run D, and fortify the O line. DL wise I like Paea and Bailey....OL is thin this year so that is probably a 2d/3d round consideration. I doubt RB is worth drafting except maybe a late-round project, as they likely won't get anyone better than what they have, believe it or not. Plus an OL boost could help there, but there just aren't the road-graders there they need.

#1 pick - CAR drafts Luck, I think. Clausen has possibilities but can you pass on Luck?

Random thoughts on most pressing needs elsewhere:

QB - SF, AZ and MIN come to mind

RB - SEA, NE, and CIN are the most obvious IMO

WR - TEN, WAS, SEA, CAR come to mind

OL - CAR, CHI, STL, AZ?

Front 7 - WAS, DEN, I think BUF

Secondary - HOU, WAS and DET come to mind offhand

And AJ Green to DET :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just released Aikman and we obviously cant count on Tony Banks so i'd say we need a qb.

edit to add: 2001 should have stayed in the thread title at least for a page or 2 :mad:

Edited by whomper

Every year I see a post like this and every year it cracks me up. Draft nicks are always talking about the lack of talent in NE at the RB position. In their offensive system it's not a position that they have typically spent significant resources on.

The Pats do not put a premium on the RB position because they use an RBBC approach. It works for them. They are the #11 team in rushing and lead the league in rushing TDs.

In 2009 they were #12 in rushing and #6 in rushing TDs

In 2008 they were #6 in rushing and #4 in rushing TDs.

I do not expect the pats to spend a high pick on a RB.

I do not expect them to sign DeAngelo Williams either, although that move would not surprise me.

I expect them to sign an older back with a good history of ball security, or to draft a small school RB with the same characteristic. Either would have the ability to return punts, catch some screens, and run between the tackles.

The Steelers will be looking for: DL, CB & OL, probably in that order.

I would like to see them get the other Pouncey. OL & DL are easier to find late in round 1, as good corners will already be gone. The O-Line hasn't been great this year, but, they did lose their two starting tackles to injuries. D-Line is extremely old and needs some more youth.

Not going to get too much into specific players yet. Anyway, my team first: Colts. Same old story. Try to put together a better D, esp run D, and fortify the O line. DL wise I like Paea and Bailey....OL is thin this year so that is probably a 2d/3d round consideration. I doubt RB is worth drafting except maybe a late-round project, as they likely won't get anyone better than what they have, believe it or not. Plus an OL boost could help there, but there just aren't the road-graders there they need.

#1 pick - CAR drafts Luck, I think. Clausen has possibilities but can you pass on Luck?

OL - CAR, CHI, STL, AZ?

And AJ Green to DET :wacko:

What Tennessee needs is a QB, they have a good wr in Britt as well as other promising WR's. They need a QB that is not a crybaby or a veteran that is on the downside.

Every year I see a post like this and every year it cracks me up. Draft nicks are always talking about the lack of talent in NE at the RB position. In their offensive system it's not a position that they have typically spent significant resources on.

The Pats do not put a premium on the RB position because they use an RBBC approach. It works for them. They are the #11 team in rushing and lead the league in rushing TDs.

I do not expect them to sign DeAngelo Williams either, although that move would not surprise me.

I expect them to sign an older back with a good history of ball security, or to draft a small school RB with the same characteristic. Either would have the ability to return punts, catch some screens, and run between the tackles.

Agree, this is a good post and I retract my NE statement.

Also agree on TEN..

I'd like to see Denver focus on OL, DL, and DBs in the draft. They are okay at LB assuming everyone gets healthy. But Champ is going to walk, Dawkins is done, and Goodman is just okay. Perrish Cox might continue to develop, but they need a big talent in the secondary. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver used its first pick on one of the two stud corners in the draft class.

Regarding DET need for help in the secondary, Delmas is legit, and Alphonso Smith was developing into a real playmaker before he landed on IR. They definitely need help in the secondary, but it's not as bad as it has been before. Teams are throwing on the Lions more now than ever because Detroit's run D has improved quite a bit (Amazing how well Bradford and Suh have worked out as 1-2 picks from this past draft.)

As for NE, just perusing the list of pending free agent RBs, a couple names jumped out that I thought I could see in NE, depending on whether or not they re-sign with their current team(s):

Jerome Harrison (hasn't really gotten a shot outside of those monster games at the end of '09)

Cedric Benson (seems like he should have something left in the tank, and dude's only lost 4 fumbles in his entire career. ETA - 4 fumbles prior to the year... just realized he's lost 5 fumbles this year alone :wacko: )

Michael Bush (McFadden emerged this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he walked. Kinda scary to think of him in NE - he's only 26 and has fewer than 400 career carries. I think he could flourish in a better situation.)

Le'Ron McClain (he just has that workman-like, tough running style that seems like it would be perfect in NE, and signs pointing to him wanting out of Baltimore so he can get more carries)

Edited by MTSuper7

What Tennessee needs is a QB, they have a good wr in Britt as well as other promising WR's. They need a QB that is not a crybaby or a veteran that is on the downside.

Titans have their QB, they need a coach .

Maroney was a first round pick. So to say they dont put a premium on RB isnt an accurate statement. Id say a 1st round pick is a premium. Now Im not saying NE needs a RB, but with 2 1st round picks, if Ingram or a player they really like is there, they take the best player available regardless of position.

Seattle needs help in a lot of positions, two of the areas of least need are probably RB and WR. Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett are a more than decent tandem at RB. What they need is the line to develop in run blocking. They have Mike Williams, Deon Butler, and Golden Tate at WR; that isn't bad.

Seattle needs a QB, O line, D-line and secondary help.

Seattle needs help in a lot of positions, two of the areas of least need are probably RB and WR. Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett are a more than decent tandem at RB. What they need is the line to develop in run blocking. They have Mike Williams, Deon Butler, and Golden Tate at WR; that isn't bad.

Seattle needs a QB, O line, D-line and secondary help.

It's as if people forget that Marshawn Lynch put up two 1200 yard seasons. The dude is in a situation where he's happy now, instead of in absolute chaos in Buffalo. Give him an entire off season, and let them build up there line. The guy is very talented.

And I agree with your comment that they need to build on both sides of the line. If you can land a legit QB in the first or second, great, but I'd think they spend early picks giving Okung some help. Heck, if Okung was healthy all year I'd be willing to bet Lynch's numbers were better.

I'm still on the Beast Mode bandwagon.

OL - CAR, CHI, STL, AZ?

Take Seattle and New England out of that RB list. Put Green Bay, Miami, Washington, and maybe even the Saints in there.

Put Washington for QB, RB, WR, and OL.

Maroney was a first round pick. So to say they dont put a premium on RB isnt an accurate statement. Id say a 1st round pick is a premium. Now Im not saying NE needs a RB, but with 2 1st round picks, if Ingram or a player they really like is there, they take the best player available regardless of position.

Indeed Maroney was a first round pick, and he also validated that they don't need to spend those kind of resources to get production at the RB position considering he is the least productive RB the Pats backfield has seen in the last 10 years.

I do not think they make that move again.

That's not to say that I would mind if they drafted a stud runner to complement the offense or signed one as a FA. I am just not seeing it happen.

It's as if people forget that Marshawn Lynch put up two 1200 yard seasons.
TOTAL yds (and barely). Since then he's put up barely more than that combined in 3 yrs, sporting about a whopping 3.6 avg, and is not exactly known as a role model kinda guy. You can say he's happy now and yeah he's not the worst RB in the league and the OL this or that, but I maintain that is a need position.

Take Seattle and New England out of that RB list. Put Green Bay, Miami, Washington, and maybe even the Saints in there.
? With you on NE but GB has Grant, Fins maybe but remains to be seen what the deal is with Brown and/or Wms, and Skins have many more needs above RB. lol @ Saints.

Put Washington for QB, RB, WR, and OL.
With you on all that minus RB.

Detroit top three needs: CB, LB, OL.

I'd be happy with either Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara, I'm not sure where the Lions are going to be picking though.

EDIT: With the Lions picking around 10, they won't get either. :wacko:

Edited by Furd

TOTAL yds (and barely). Since then he's put up barely more than that combined in 3 yrs, sporting about a whopping 3.6 avg, and is not exactly known as a role model kinda guy. You can say he's happy now and yeah he's not the worst RB in the league and the OL this or that, but I maintain that is a need position.

? With you on NE but GB has Grant, Fins maybe but remains to be seen what the deal is with Brown and/or Wms, and Skins have many more needs above RB. lol @ Saints.

With you on all that minus RB.

With Lynch I can tell you that he's never been injured, and the talent is still there... Just look at what he did to the Panthers a few weeks ago. Sure, he's had some stinker games, but he's also showed enough against Arizona, Atlanta and Carolina to lead me to believe that he and Forsett are the least of there problems. You show me a running game with really bad QB/OL play that has been blown out a lot this season that still has a great year. You build up the O and D Line, everything else builds up after that.

Green Bay has question marks at the position. Ryan Grant broke his leg, is inching closer to 30 and is due a lot of money. I'm a massive Grant supporter, but I think he's a middle of the pack runningback. He's tough and decisive, but not a big time player. Mark Ingram or Mikel Leshoure could come in and be the most talented back by a country mile. Grant is a really good player, but I don't think he's capable of greatness. What he did in 2009 is his ceiling, and who knows if he ever gets there again. If you're discounting Lynch from ever doing anything again because of lack of playing time, but expecting Grant to return to form after an entire year off with a broken leg then I just can't agree with you there.

Also, if the Redskins have more needs above RB, where does your Lynch pick come from? A seahawks homer flat out told you they have far more pressing needs at QB, OL, DL, DB...

OL - CAR, CHI, STL, AZ?

And AJ Green to DET :tup:

I can't see the Rams going o-line with Jason Smith, Rodger Saffold, Jacob Bell, and Jason Brown anchoring the line - they're all about 26 or younger. The're fairly set at LB. I think either Steven Jackson's heir apparent, or somebody in the secondary, maybe even d-line. A lot of talk on a local board about WR, but I think they'll wait until 3rd or later in the draft for that and play the FA market there too. Maybe not even do much there at all with emerging Alexander, Amendola, Gibson, and maybe Clayton gets healthy and wants to come back (would've thunk saying that about Mark Clayton?). And Mike Hooemanaooi Hoomanaananooo Illinois Mike at TE (if he can stay healthy). The coaches love this kid.

Just my :wacko:

Personnel is not the problem at the RB position, probably the least of their worries, beyond maybe the LBs. Seattle is desperate for upgrades/depth at the QB, O-line, D-line,and secondary positions. Seattle won't be picking a RB in the first 4 rounds of the 2011 draft. PM me if you are interested in a friendly wager.