[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stanford/Thug U

BeeR

Oh really, tell that to Cam Newton, who won every award on the planet at QB. Luck my project better on the next level, but he isnt even close to the best QB in college football this yr.

Hard to argue with that. Well, except the "not even close" part.

Edited by detlef

you have obviously never watched Andrew Luck play QB - he is the best QB in the nation- BY FAR

I'm pretty sure Luck doesn't play on D, which was what I was referring to. :wacko: Taylor isn't "tearing them up" (yet) but I predict he will make some huge plays to win this game and may just take it over outright.

And I'm sorry but when you can't make XPs somehow I can't believe in your team winning the game.

Hard to argue with that. Well, except the "not even close" part.

Newton had a ridicululous year but I take Luck in a heartbeat. Taking nothing away from Newton who deserved the Heisman, nobody plays the QB position as well as Luck, and it isn't even close.

Mind you he is doing this with less than stellar talent at Stanford - dude will be one of the best in the NFL for years to come.

Newton had a ridicululous year but I take Luck in a heartbeat. Taking nothing away from Newton who deserved the Heisman, nobody plays the QB position as well as Luck, and it isn't even close.

Mind you he is doing this with less than stellar talent at Stanford - dude will be one of the best in the NFL for years to come.

+1

LMAO, way to contradict yourself there. Newton deserved the Heisman, but nobody plays the position as well as luck, and it isnt even close. How is it not close. Newton faces the best defenses in the country every single week, where Luck faces the pathetic -10 defenses game in game out. Newton has played and beat what 4-5 ranked teams right now, stanford hasnt beat a one, losing by 3 Tds to Oregon. Id be willing to wager Newton doesnt lose by 3 Tds against Oregon. Newton wont let that happen. Luck couldnt stop it. Luck is a game manager, with a big arm, and is elusive. No doubt he will be very good at the next level. But Newton is a better athlete, and at this level, a better QB, and it isnt even close.

For the record, Va tech is pathetic on defense and their play calling is horrible as well.

Va Tech letting these slow white guys beat them deep. This is probably how they lost to a 1 AA team earlier in the year.

Edited by Living the Dream

LMAO, way to contradict yourself there. Newton deserved the Heisman, but nobody plays the position as well as luck, and it isnt even close. How is it not close. Newton faces the best defenses in the country every single week, where Luck faces the pathetic -10 defenses game in game out. Newton has played and beat what 4-5 ranked teams right now, stanford hasnt beat a one, losing by 3 Tds to Oregon. Id be willing to wager Newton doesnt lose by 3 Tds against Oregon. Newton wont let that happen. Luck couldnt stop it. Luck is a game manager, with a big arm, and is elusive. No doubt he will be very good at the next level. But Newton is a better athlete, and at this level, a better QB, and it isnt even close.

For the record, Va tech is pathetic on defense and their play calling is horrible as well.

Va Tech letting these slow white guys beat them deep. This is probably how they lost to a 1 AA team earlier in the year.

This from the same guy that after Boise St beat Vtech in the opening game of the season had to dismiss the quality of the win by saying Virginia Tech was crap and would have a losing season :wacko: Then Vtech rolled off rolled off 10 straight. :lol: You have no credibility at all. Just keep bashing and bashing because you bring absolutely NO value to these boards. :rofl:

Great win for Stanford and another stellar performance by Andrew Luck. :tup:

I'm pretty sure Luck doesn't play on D, which was what I was referring to. :wacko: Taylor isn't "tearing them up" (yet) but I predict he will make some huge plays to win this game and may just take it over outright.

And I'm sorry but when you can't make XPs somehow I can't believe in your team winning the game.

ehh not so much

This from the same guy that after Boise St beat Vtech in the opening game of the season had to dismiss the quality of the win by saying Virginia Tech was crap and would have a losing season :wacko: Then Vtech rolled off rolled off 10 straight. :lol: You have no credibility at all. Just keep bashing and bashing because you bring absolutely NO value to these boards. :rofl:

Great win for Stanford and another stellar performance by Andrew Luck. :tup:

Great win for Stanford as they have never been a top 5 team to finish the season.

Stanford coaching was such a huge mismatch. the playcalling for stanford was superb, and va tech was terrible.

va Tech won 10 straight, wow, the ACC must really suck then. After this performance, va Tech looked lost on both sides of the ball. Give stanford some credit for that, but when you consistently let slow white boys beat you deep, you are simply not very good on defense.

This game was the equivilant of OU beating Uconn. va Tech shouldnt have been ranked nearly that high. and when you dont beat a ranked team all year, you shouldnt be ranked in the top 15.

Edited by Living the Dream

This game was the equivilant of OU beating Uconn. va Tech shouldnt have been ranked nearly that high. and when you dont beat a ranked team all year, you shouldnt be ranked in the top 15.

It really wasn't actually. There's not a rational soul alive who thinks UConn is as good a team as VTech is. V Tech isn't about to lose their coach to a middle of the pack school from another BCS conference, for instance. And V Tech beat FSU who is currently ranked and will undoubtedly be ranked since they won their bowl game as well as NCSU who was just outside the top 25 and will likely end up ranked after beating #22 WVU by 16 pts.

Great win for Stanford as they have never been a top 5 team to finish the season.

They were #2 in 1940.

Anyway glad to eat crow on that one. Turned it off at the half. Heck that's probably why Stanford took over. :wacko: Agree Luck should be a stud NFL QB for years to come.

I've been annoyed by the Pac-10 homerism this year, but, I've got to say that the Washington & Stanford wins were quite impressive. :tup:

However, one of those "homers" is an Arizona fan, so, that should overshadow the PAC-10 love-fest.

As for me, Penn State sucked and the Big Ten is doing awful......... :wacko:

It really wasn't actually. There's not a rational soul alive who thinks UConn is as good a team as VTech is. V Tech isn't about to lose their coach to a middle of the pack school from another BCS conference, for instance. And V Tech beat FSU who is currently ranked and will undoubtedly be ranked since they won their bowl game as well as NCSU who was just outside the top 25 and will likely end up ranked after beating #22 WVU by 16 pts.

+1

I've been annoyed by the Pac-10 homerism this year, but, I've got to say that the Washington & Stanford wins were quite impressive. :tup:

However, one of those "homers" is an Arizona fan, so, that should overshadow the PAC-10 love-fest.

As for me, Penn State sucked and the Big Ten is doing awful......... :wacko:

you won't hear a peep out of me about Arizona..........just brutal end to the season

Wash ain't all that but Stanford is a damn good team and could beat anyone right now.

I think it would be very interesting to see Stanford face Oregon in a rematch. Not saying that I think they should be playing for the NC, but I'm pretty sure Harbaugh and Stanford feel like they really let that one slip away, after getting off to a 21-3 lead early. No disrespect to Oregon, because they dominated Stanford for the better part of three quarters, but knowing what they know now (that that game essentially eliminated them for NC consideration), Stanford has to be thinking that they should/could have found a way to keep that game close, and maybe pull out the W. Oregon was the better team that night, but I also think Stanford panicked, and let things get out of control... Losing that big early lead, they didn't know what to do to stop the momentum Oregon gained by erasing the lead so quickly. It's pretty clear to me that Harbaugh is about as good as there is in the college game, in terms of play-calling, preparation, etc. Knowing what he knows now (and recognizing the mistakes they made in that game against Oregon), I think he would like his chances in a rematch. Not saying they would win, but I think it would be a great game.

As for the Pac-10 and Big 10 (since it seems almost inevitable that we compare the two, in nearly every thread on these boards), I look at it like this... The two conferences are actually fairly similar, in the sense that they both have two teams capable of playing with anybody, on any given day... Oregon and Stanford in the P-10, and OSU and Wisconsin in the Big 10. Of those four teams, I do think Oregon and Stanford are the best, given what we've seen from them all season. I think Boise and TCU are also in that category (able to give anybody in the country fits), along with Auburn and Alabama (I think they proved that they belong, by dominating their bowl game). There are a few other teams that MAY belong in that category, but we'll never know about some of them, for a couple of reasons. Oklahoma, for example... What did they really prove to us, by beating UConn? Nothing, really. I'm not saying that they belong in that top tier of teams, nationally, or that they don't. But, it's just unfortunate that they got such a crappy bowl matchup. Others that could be in that top tier, in my opinion, are LSU and Arkansas. The winner of the Arkansas-OSU game probably solidifies themselves in the list of elite teams, while the loser most likely drops to the second tier. As of today, my "tiers" would break down like this:

TIER 1:

Auburn (I put them at the top only because of the conference they come from)

Oregon

Stanford (Despite the loss, they've simply impressed me more than TCU has, particularly in their respective bowl games)

TCU

Boise State

Wisconsin (Close loss to TCU... missed FG possibly cost them the Rose Bowl)

Alabama (Despite 3 losses, I'm convinced that they belong, and could play with anybody... one-point loss to Auburn, plus their convincing bowl win)

If there was an eight-team playoff, I put the above seven teams in, as well as one of the following:

TIER 1-A:

Ohio State (winner of tonight's game belongs in the top eight, loser probably not)

Arkansas (see above)

Oklahoma (might belong in the top tier, but would have liked to see them play another top team in bowl game, to justify it)

LSU (as long as they win their bowl game, you can make the argument that they belong in the top tier)

Tier 2:

Oklahoma State

Texas A&M (even if they win, I can't put them in the top tier, with three losses)

Iowa (the third best team in the Big 10 is the Hawkeyes, not the Spartans

Virginia Tech (played their way out of the top tier last night)

Nebraska (same, in their bowl debacle)

Mississippi State (played their way in)

Missouri (bottom of the tier 2 teams)

Tough to say, in my opinion, who among the 1-A teams deserves that eighth spot... One of the four gets eliminated tonight. Oklahoma, through no fault of their own, didn't get a chance to prove themselves in this bowl series. If LSU and Arkansas both win, they probably both deserve a shot, at the expense of Wisconsin or Bama.

Back to the Big 10 and Pac-10... Like I said, I think they're similar in that they both have two teams that are head and shoulders better than the rest of their respective teams. Oregon/Stanford are simply stronger teams than OSU/Wisconsin... not by a ton, but I think they both would beat either Big 10 team. The major difference, between the two conferences, is that the Big 10's next best teams struggled down the stretch (Iowa), while the Pac-10 had a team (Washington) play much better than expected, particularly in their bowl game. Honestly, I think Iowa is the 5th best team, looking at both conferences, after the "big 4." But, they ended the season terribly, then came back to beat Missouri without their best two offensive players. Michigan State is pretty much what many thought they were... A top-25 team who benefited from their schedule. No way are they better than top 18-20 in the country, IMO.

As much as people like to say that the Big 10 has been horrible this bowl season, it's not like the results have been a surprise. Personally, I'm surprised by none of the games, so far. The two that I picked to go the opposite of how they've gone were Iowa (thought Missouri would beat them, given the offensive weapons they were missing) and Wisconsin (thought they executed very poorly against TCU, and should have won that game). Nothing against TCU... they're a great team. But, Wisconsin was gaining yards in big chunks by running the ball, yet chose not to run a lot of the time. Don't understand that.

The rest went pretty much as expected... Big 10 teams were underdogs, and lost. Michigan State was exposed as somewhat of a fraud (although I think part of it is that Bama is REALLY good, though inconsistent at times, which is why they belong in the top 8), and Michigan has no defense (we knew that all year). Penn State lost to Florida... no surprise, really, and Northwestern had no business playing in a bowl game (with a 3-5 conference record), and got caught up in a shootout with a better offense in Texas Tech. What I'm more disappointed in, than the results, is the way the games were scheduled... Four Big 10 games at the same time on Saturday? Really lame. Not that I would necessarily have watched all four, had they been played at different times, but that's just another example of how pathetically poor the college football post-season is managed. The equivalent of the Big 10 basketball tournament playing all four quarterfinal games at the same time. Great planning. :wacko:

In an ideal world, rather than an eight-team playoff, I'd love to see a 12-team playoff this year. Give Auburn, Oregon, TCU, and Stanford a bye, and then have the next eight play each other. No matter how you slice it, though, there's always going to be an argument about who gets that 12th spot. Somebody is going to get left out. What we're left with, instead, is a great matchup between Auburn and Oregon. I'm not complaining, as it should be a very fun/intriguing game, but it would be far more fun to see some of the other elite teams (Stanford, TCU, etc.) get a shot in an 8- or 12-team playoff.