[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some all-time Playoff numbers to chew on.

keggerz

Juicyjuice was ragging on Manning (stating how Manning has seven 1 and dones in the playoffs) in a thread that had nothing to do with Manning but still what he said kinda got me thinking so without further adieu....

Can you guess how many starting QBs have 7 or more playoff appearances since the NFL merger in 1970?

Answer: 14 QBs since the merger in 1970 have made the playoffs as a starting QB 7 or more times.

Back to the 1 and dones juicyjuice was talking about, the list below does show that Peyton Manning has more 1 and ones then the other 14 but he has also made the playoffs in a higher % of his years played then any other QB on the list too.

As for the list, the 1st number is the number of times they made the playoffs....the next is the number of seasons they played in the NFL...the next number is the % of times they made the playoffs during their career...the next number is their 1 and dones and the last is the % of times they went 1 and done in their career.

Name.......playoffs..........years played.......% made POs.....1 & dones..% of times 1 & doneFavre.......12..................20..................60%................3.............25% Montana.....11..................15..................73%................4.............36%PManning....11..................13..................85%................7.............64%Marino......10..................17..................59%................3.............30%Bradshaw.....9..................14..................64%................3..............33%Elway........9..................16..................56%................3..............33%Staubach.....8..................11..................73%................3.............38%Kelly........8..................11..................73%................2..............25%Brady........7..................11..................64%................2..............29%Aikman.......7..................12..................58%................2.............29%McNabb.......7..................12..................58%................1..............14%Young........7..................15..................47%................1..............14%Griese.......7..................14..................50%................4..............57%Moon.........7..................17..................41%................4..............57%

So while you can see that Manning does actually have the most 1 and dones in NFL history he has also taken his team to the playoffs the 2nd most times in NFL history and has the best % of getting a team to the playoffs of any QB on the list.....Montana is clearly at or near the top of everyone's "Best QB Ever" list, as he should be but did you know that of Montana's four 1 and dones that 3 happened in consecutive years....Steve Young is the top QB in the clubhouse that has a ring in that he only has one 1 and done and that accounted for just 14% of his playoff appearances as a starter....yet McNabb who also only has a single one and done has no rings to speak of ( :wacko: ) and then there is Jim Kelly who only has two one and dones with the 3rd lowest 1 and done % and he has zero rings too...I know that juicyjuicy trys to tweak the colts homers and manning backers but I have a hard time saying someone is a "loser" because they either have X number of 1 and dones in the playoffs or no SB rings or only X number of SB rings...In the end, everyone is fighting to win the SB and if they don't then their season technically wasn't a success but to dismiss getting to the playoffs seems like a pretty lame thing to do...I mean Manning has as many or more playoff appearances than 39% (12 teams) of the other 31 teams since the NFL merger in 1970 and that includes the 6 playoff appearances by the Jaguars (dig at juicyjuice :tup: )

The teams that Manning, Montana and Favre have more playoff appearances than:

Name (number of playoff appearances since merger)

Texans (0)

Panthers (4)

Jaguars (6)

Ravens (7)

Saints (8)

Cardinals (8)

Lions (9)

Bengals (9)

Falcons (10)

Bucs (10)

Seahawks (11same number of appearances as Manning)

Browns (11 same number of appearances as Manning)

Next, I am planning on tackling "The Debate", you know, who is better Manning or Brady...I have some metrics that I plan to look up and utilize and at present haven't looked at them at all and have no clue how the research will turn out...but it should be interesting and I feel safe in saying that they will be metrics that no one has utilized before when trying to debate Manning or Brady.

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and Moon played more years then any other if you count the (6) years in the CFL

He also is the only player in both Pro Football Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame

Bud Grant is also in both but as a coach

Yes this isn't a Warren Moon thread but I have to throw his name out there anytime I can because I believe he and Montana are the two best at QB to ever lace them up

Oh and Moon played more years then any other if you count the (6) years in the CFL

He also is the only player in both Pro Football Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame

Bud Grant is also in both but as a coach

Yes this isn't a Warren Moon thread but I have to throw his name out there anytime I can because I believe he and Montana are the two best at QB to ever lace them up

Kelly and Young would have more years with the USFL too (not sure off the top of my head who else)...but yeah, Moon is/was great and I don't think gets near the respect he deserves.

You could have stopped right there. The term "choker" comes to mind. Can't handle the big games, story of his life.

So he got one superbowl... against Rex Grossman? :tup:

Made the playoffs more than 39% of the other 31 teams since the merger...yeah that equals choker :wacko:

You could have stopped right there. The term "choker" comes to mind. Can't handle the big games, story of his life.

So he got one superbowl... against Rex Grossman? :wacko:

A ring is a ring in my book. I'm sure there is no disclaimer engraving on the back stating who the opposing QB was.

Nicely done, Keg. In your analysis, I'd like to see how many points each QBs respective defense gives up on average. It's like looking at great pitchers, one of whom has 20 wins, one of whom has 15 wins. Which is better? The instinct is to say the 20-win guy, but if the 15-win guy had, on average, 2 fewer runs of support from his offense and an ERA almost a full run lower, that says a lot more. That's one of the reasons that "wins" and "Super Bowls" can only tell so much of the tale. Of course, there will always be the "who has more rings" people. To them, I say "give me a break". Not every great quarterback is put onto a team that has the components necessary to be a champion. Heck, early in Elway's career he virtually carried his teams to the SB, but because he couldn't win one until "Terrell Davis" bailed him out, people think Elway doesn't belong in the conversation of "greatest QB ever".

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm looking forward to this analysis, and I hope it takes into consideration each QB's "run support".

Name.......playoffs..........years played.......% made POs.....1 & dones..% of times 1 & doneFavre.......12..................20..................60%................3.............25% Montana.....11..................15..................73%................4.............36%PManning....11..................13..................85%................7.............64%Marino......10..................17..................59%................3.............30%Bradshaw.....9..................14..................64%................3..............33%Elway........9..................16..................56%................3..............33%Staubach.....8..................11..................73%................3.............38%Kelly........8..................11..................73%................2..............25%Brady........7..................11..................64%................2..............29%Aikman.......7..................12..................58%................2.............29%McNabb.......7..................12..................58%................1..............14%Young........7..................15..................47%................1..............14%Griese.......7..................14..................50%................4..............57%Moon.........7..................17..................41%................4..............57%Roethlisberger.........5..................7..................71%................1..............20%

I added a name to keep an eye on at the bottom of your list.

:wacko:

Nicely done, Keg. In your analysis, I'd like to see how many points each QBs respective defense gives up on average. It's like looking at great pitchers, one of whom has 20 wins, one of whom has 15 wins. Which is better? The instinct is to say the 20-win guy, but if the 15-win guy had, on average, 2 fewer runs of support from his offense and an ERA almost a full run lower, that says a lot more. That's one of the reasons that "wins" and "Super Bowls" can only tell so much of the tale. Of course, there will always be the "who has more rings" people. To them, I say "give me a break". Not every great quarterback is put onto a team that has the components necessary to be a champion. Heck, early in Elway's career he virtually carried his teams to the SB, but because he couldn't win one until "Terrell Davis" bailed him out, people think Elway doesn't belong in the conversation of "greatest QB ever".

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm looking forward to this analysis, and I hope it takes into consideration each QB's "run support".

actually that is one of the metrics*I planned on looking at for "The Debate"

*I plan to look at that but then want to look at it compared to NFL averages etc...

Name.......playoffs..........years played.......% made POs.....1 & dones..% of times 1 & doneFavre.......12..................20..................60%................3.............25% Montana.....11..................15..................73%................4.............36%PManning....11..................13..................85%................7.............64%Marino......10..................17..................59%................3.............30%Bradshaw.....9..................14..................64%................3..............33%Elway........9..................16..................56%................3..............33%Staubach.....8..................11..................73%................3.............38%Kelly........8..................11..................73%................2..............25%Brady........7..................11..................64%................2..............29%Aikman.......7..................12..................58%................2.............29%McNabb.......7..................12..................58%................1..............14%Young........7..................15..................47%................1..............14%Griese.......7..................14..................50%................4..............57%Moon.........7..................17..................41%................4..............57%Roethlisberger.........5..................7..................71%................1..............20%

I added a name to keep an eye on at the bottom of your list.

:wacko:

I had no agenda so I didn't put anyone close...simply took those with 7 or more playoff appearances...here is the link I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_...playoff_records (that only gave records so anyone with a total of 7 or more wins/losses I think did a search on at this link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm added their name in the search box and if you scroll down you can see under their stats where it shows their playoff records as a starter by year.

I had no agenda so I didn't put anyone close...simply took those with 7 or more playoff appearances...here is the link I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_...playoff_records (that only gave records so anyone with a total of 7 or more wins/losses I think did a search on at this link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm added their name in the search box and if you scroll down you can see under their stats where it shows their playoff records as a starter by year.

Excellent work :wacko:

He has a propensity to end games with a pick 6.

Besides the SB against the Saints . . . can you name another? Even that game didn't "end" with a pick 6. The next drive ended near the goal line.

Edited by CaptainHook

Why don't you do an analysis of how many times he's been sacked without contact. Sorta like a SWC statistic we can track, Sacks Without Contact.

oh if they had all the stats that I wanted to get my hands on...or should I say, if I could get my hands on the stats that the NFL has :wacko:

Why don't you do an analysis of how many times he's been sacked without contact. Sorta like a SWC statistic we can track, Sacks Without Contact.

208 consecutive regular season games started and counting . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

he has played in 208 regular season games plus playoffs, are you really going to make me go thru each of those game logs :wacko:

edit: Manning has been sacked 231 times in 208 regular season games, an average of just 1.11 times/game...of an average of just 17.8 times/season...the most he has ever been sacked in a season is 29 times...he has been sacked 15 or fewer times in 5 of his 13 seasons (less than 1 time/game for the mathematically challenged), he has been sacked 19 or fewer times in 8 of his 13 seasons...so my guess is that there aren't near as many "SWC's" as you call them, simply because there aren't many sacks :tup:

Edited by keggerz