[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some all-time Playoff numbers to chew on.

keggerz

I'm curious about how many of those play-off losses were at home.

Post #31 - He's 2-5 on the road (vs 6-4 at home), and 4 of the 7 one-and-dones were on the road.

Though I don't disagree with you (and in fact CH said the same) that Manning hasn't been a "great" playoff QB, so perhaps that does negate all he's done to have his team in contention every year... But with the above stats, it does make it alot tougher for people like red-dumb to claim that it's just because Manning is a choke-artist.

By the way, I can't believe no one's picked up on the irony of RRJ claiming to be a Giants fan. If the video was called "Two Mannings One Cup", Eli would be the cup. :wacko:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post #31 - He's 2-5 on the road (vs 6-4 at home), and 4 of the 7 one-and-dones were on the road.

Though I don't disagree with you (and in fact CH said the same) that Manning hasn't been a "great" playoff QB, so perhaps that does negate all he's done to have his team in contention every year... But with the above stats, it does make it alot tougher for people like red-dumb to claim that it's just because Manning is a choke-artist.

By the way, I can't believe no one's picked up on the irony of RRJ claiming to be a Giants fan. If the video was called "Two Mannings One Cup", Eli would be the cup. :wacko:

Well, I guess I should have read further. Though the question was not rhetorical, I actually guessed there were more home losses.

And I certainly don't intend to diminish his overall success. I think anyone who doesn't include him among the best QBs both now and of all time is foolish. He is absolutely a 1st ballot HOF and that should be about as a foregone a conclusion as there is when the time comes.

Well, in truth, it's not like history is crapping on Manning. Juicy Juice is crapping on Manning. Manning's name always comes up when we're discussing great QBs, of both now and all-time. But when we start lining up pros and cons, the frequency with which he failed to win even one play-off game given all the chances he had to do so, absolutely stands out as a festering con. Just like you put how often he took his team to the play-offs in the pro side.

So, again, in the overall evaluation, the two negate each other to some extent. However, if the discussion is specifically about him tanking in the play-offs, it very much does not. And I doubt taking a step back and looking at the caliber of the team in general during that stretch is going to paint him much better. It's not like they've been sneaking in despite talent and losing to teams they were expected to lose to. As many years as not, it was the other way around. I'm curious about how many of those play-off losses were at home.

As a Colts fan, I agree. As I've stated, I think Manning is probably the greatest regular season QB of all time. But only an average playoff QB. Have there been times when he led a flawed team to the playoffs and lost? Yes. Have there bee times when he led flawed teams to the playoffs and won? Yes. The year the Colts won the SB, they had the 32nd ranked run defense. In the year they lost the SB, they had the 32nd ranked rushing offense. So there have been times he has helped carry a flawed team.

But get this. . . the Colts have had a top 11 defense (total yards) FIVE times. Manning has been one and done in FOUR of those seasons. Twice with the eleventh ranked defense (although considering 12 teams make the playoffs, perhaps not that impressive). But ONCE with the eighth ranked D and once with the THIRD ranked defense. I'm sorry, but you have to win those games. The year that stands out to me was the year they were ranked third, but allowed Billy Volek and Michael Turner to win in Indy after a bye. The defense sucked that day, but so did the Colts offense.

good stats and analysis, but I think it proves both sides of the argument. yes, a remarkable and unprecedented record of making the playoffs, as well as a low rate of postseason success.

maybe what it proves is that a great QB can only carry a team so far. I am reminded of the first 10 years of Elway's career. Elway could just carry mediocre teams through the AFC championship, Manning not quite as far. but in fairness, the AFC in Manning's era is a helluva lot stronger than it was in Elway's.