[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OROY/DROY

tazinib1

I'll get this started as well. Hell I'm bored and the traffic has been dismal.

DROY: CB Devin McCourty, New England Patriots

One more interception and pass break up than Joe Haden, and allowed just 55.6% of passes thrown his way. A remarkable rookie year.

OROY: QB Sam Bradford, St.Louis Rams

It's not really close is it? Mike Williams had a fantastic rookie season for the Bucs, but was not consistent. He's gonna be a gamer though.

Not close on either side for me

DROY: Ndamukong Suh , DT, Lions what he did as a rookie was amazing for a position that hasn't produced a playmaker in along time he was a disruptive force. Haden and McCourty were good but this guy was amazing.

OROY: Sam Bradford, QB, Rams good rookie year for the Rams without alot of competition from the offensive side of the ball Mike Williams was the only other candidate that came to my mind quickly aswell.

I heard Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan talking recently on Sirius wondering if Suh was the best interior lineman in football right now. If that's the question on the table, there is no way he doesn't win DROY.

WOOHOO we have a debate!!

Ok I'll throw out some numbers to justify my pick in McCourty.

82 tackles

1 sack

7 INT

2 Forced Fumbles

17 passes defended

55.56% passes completed against (Thats Revis Island numbers right there folks)

Suh: Believe me, it was hard picking against him but I did.

65 tackles

10 sacks

1 INT

1 FF

1 TD

Granted, for a DT, those numbers are amazing in there own right. I just think McCourty was the best defensive player on a poor defensive team that helped NE to the playoffs.

Granted, for a DT, those numbers are amazing in there own right. I just think McCourty was the best defensive player on a poor defensive team that helped NE to the playoffs.

I think it's an eyeball test thing. Suh is a dominant factor in the defense on many plays where he has no stats, and it's easier to see than what McCourty does.

Cannot imagine it not being Suh and Bradford. No one comes close really. Mike Williams is a distant second to Bradford. McCourty played on a defense that got to drop back every game and just defend the pass. That was easy and McCourty was picked on at least early too. Suh played on a crappy team that did not have a 30 point lead in every game. He was by far the best defender IMO.

Suh and Bradford without a doubt

WOOHOO we have a debate!!

Ok I'll throw out some numbers to justify my pick in McCourty.

82 tackles

1 sack

7 INT

2 Forced Fumbles

17 passes defended

55.56% passes completed against (Thats Revis Island numbers right there folks)

Suh: Believe me, it was hard picking against him but I did.

65 tackles

10 sacks

1 INT

1 FF

1 TD

NE makes the playoffs without McCourty....Suh was a major impact on the Lions poor D and without him that D would have been an even bigger mess...As a rookie he has already established himself as one of if not the best DT in the game today.

Suh is a common name for all football fans. Not all football fans (mainly casual) don't know about McCourty. But hell, I love the kid (McCourty) and hope he wins. But I disagree with you saying the Pats are a poor defensive team they have the following besides McCourty:

-Jerod Mayo had 175 tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR

-Vince Wilfork had 57 tackles (shows how great Suh's #'s are)

-Pro Bowler Pat Chung had 96 tackles, 3 INT's

-Brandon Merriweather had 68 tackles and 3 INT's

Suh is a common name for all football fans. Not all football fans (mainly casual) don't know about McCourty. But hell, I love the kid (McCourty) and hope he wins. But I disagree with you saying the Pats are a poor defensive team they have the following besides McCourty:

-Jerod Mayo had 175 tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR

-Vince Wilfork had 57 tackles (shows how great Suh's #'s are)

-Pro Bowler Pat Chung had 96 tackles, 3 INT's

-Brandon Merriweather had 68 tackles and 3 INT's

they ranked 25th in Defense...they were/ARE a poor defensive team.

[bartScott]They can't stop a nose bleed[/bartScott]

Edited by keggerz

Suh is already a man among boys. He's a guy that the offensive must contend with on just about every play. Statistics can't define the impact that he had.

I like McCourty. I hoped that he would drop to the Lions second pick.

I think the rookie of the year awards go to the best player - not based upon their value to their respective teams. If I'm a defensive coordinator and I get my pick of any defensive player for my team, there aren't that many guys that I would pick in front of Ndamukong Suh, and Devin McCourty ain't one of them.

they ranked 25th in Defense...they were/ARE a poor defensive team.

Maybe my least favorite statistic in all of football. I'm assuming you're referring to "total" defense, which in actuality is nothing more than total yards given up. There's nothing "total" about it. Clearly, a team that frequently has large leads (and sits back in a prevent defense for a good chunk of the second half on a regular basis) is likely to give up more yardage than a team in a close game. Not every time, but a lot of the time. From what I watched of the Patriots this year, they were much better than the 25th defense in the league. Maybe not top 10, but definitely better than 25th. Here are a few other statistics, that help tell the whole story:

Points Allowed (per game) - 19.6 (8th best in the NFL)

Sacks - 36 (T-14th)

INT - 25 (1st)

Fumbles taken away - 13 (T-7th)

Defensive penalty yards - 687 (5th best in the NFL)

Defensive TD's - 6 (2nd)

So, in basically every defensive category that matters, other than total yards, the Patriots defense is significantly better than 25th. In fact, they're in the top 10 of most of those categories, and the top 15 of ALL of them (other than total yards allowed). That's what I really dislike about the term "total defense." There's nothing total about it... It refers to yardage given up, and nothing more.

Not trying to pick on you, Keg, but like I said... this is arguably the worst "statistic" in football. Call it what it is... Yards given up, not "total" defense.

As for DROY, as someone said, a simple "eyeball test" tells the difference between Suh and McCourty. One player (Suh) completely dominated games by himself, and changed the way the opponents' offenses went about trying to protect their quarterbacks. Just his mere presence in the game commanded attention that few other defensive players in the league demanded, and it made others (VandenBosch, for example) better as a result.

Meanwhile, McCourty was just the opposite. Granted, he's a nice player who made the best of his opportunities (takeaways, etc.), but some of that is a result of the good players around him. They made him better, not the other way around.

As for DROY, as someone said, a simple "eyeball test" tells the difference between Suh and McCourty. One player (Suh) completely dominated games by himself, and changed the way the opponents' offenses went about trying to protect their quarterbacks. Just his mere presence in the game commanded attention that few other defensive players in the league demanded, and it made others (VandenBosch, for example) better as a result.

Meanwhile, McCourty was just the opposite. Granted, he's a nice player who made the best of his opportunities (takeaways, etc.), but some of that is a result of the good players around him. They made him better, not the other way around.

This analysis is not complete or fair. It's a simple fact that, considering the way most people watch NFL games is on TV, the impact a D-Lineman has on a game is much more visible than the impact a CB has on any game.

McCourty was phenomenal. He was the top DB in that defense, one that couldn't rush a passer to save it's life.

Again, I think Suh is the guy, but McCourty is a lot closer than people will give credit for, whether by calling the Pats "the 25th best defense" or by claiming that someone else made him better. Taz is closer to right. He might not be Revis good, but he wasn't that far off.

There were some very good defensive players to come out of the last draft but none of them could possibly beat Suh right now and the impact he has had on the game. As has been mentioned he is already considered the best DT in the game, who was the last tackle to put up double digit sacks for starters? I am guessing either Laroy Glover or Warren Sapp without bothering to look it up. Either way his impact was as big as advertised before the draft McCourty is a good young CB as is Joe Haden, I think that both Eric Berry and Earl Thomas will be very good S in the future aswell but right now Suh is the only one who could possibly win this award.

This analysis is not complete or fair. It's a simple fact that, considering the way most people watch NFL games is on TV, the impact a D-Lineman has on a game is much more visible than the impact a CB has on any game.

McCourty was phenomenal. He was the top DB in that defense, one that couldn't rush a passer to save it's life.

Again, I think Suh is the guy, but McCourty is a lot closer than people will give credit for, whether by calling the Pats "the 25th best defense" or by claiming that someone else made him better. Taz is closer to right. He might not be Revis good, but he wasn't that far off.

Fair enough. Either way, Suh should win in a landslide.

You may be right, though... Maybe McCourty made others around him better, more than I'm giving him credit for. I'll take your word for it, and be the first to admit that although I watched my fair share of every team in the NFL (New England included), I definitely didn't watch every game of theirs (which I'm guessing you did).

I'll add this, in my defense... I think Suh is a once-in-a-generation type of DT. I'm not sure the same could be said for McCourty. Revis, maybe. McCourty, not yet, at least. Clearly, they played different positions, and "domination" at those positions is completely different as well (and may be harder to define at one position than the other), but I still think Suh dominated in a way that few other rookies have ever done. In my opinion, nobody else comes close, this year.

Edited by Gopher

Fair enough. Either way, Suh should win in a landslide.

You may be right, though... Maybe McCourty made others around him better, more than I'm giving him credit for. I'll take your word for it, and be the first to admit that although I watched my fair share of every team in the NFL (New England included), I definitely didn't watch every game of theirs (which I'm guessing you did).

I'll add this, in my defense... I think Suh is a once-in-a-generation type of DT. I'm not sure the same could be said for McCourty. Revis, maybe. McCourty, not yet, at least. Clearly, they played different positions, and "domination" at those positions is completely different as well (and may be harder to define at one position than the other), but I still think Suh dominated in a way that few other rookies have ever done. In my opinion, nobody else comes close, this year.

I do not disagree one speck WRT Suh's dominant presence. Suh is the guy. In another year, McCourty wins. Not this year...how close it is being a matter if irreconcilable debate other than counting the votes cast. I would not be surprised to see the players 1. Suh 2. McCourty on 80% of the ballots cast.

Suh deserves it. It would be foolish to suggest otherwise IMO.

Rob Gronkowski - OROY

:wacko:

I think that's an outstanding pick, but no way Bradford doesn't win.

EDIT:

Just looking at Gronk's numbers (I know receiving numbers do not tell the whole story) He probably wasn;t productive enough to win, even if he was extremely efficient.

36 Catches

49 Targets (Roughly 73.5% caught)

444 Yards

9 TDs

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Beat me to it. Very nice addition and I'm sure he will get some votes...but Bradford, just like Suh :tup: , will get the nod.

Why the :lol: about Suh :wacko: How can you not think he was deserving? If anything it is way refreshing to see both the top and 2nd pick take these awards home because it seems like more often than not the top picks haven't lived up to the hype.