[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congratulations to WW (Whit Walters)

KevinL

As cool as it is that Whit won, his personal heartfelt story below makes me sad. Wonder if he has a golden voice?

Homeless man is the king of fantasy football

By MJD

Three million people competed at fantasy football on ESPN.com this year. One man managed to rise above all of them, and he did it despite not having a computer. Or a place to live.

For the sake of comparison, I finished under .500 in a league of 12 people, and I spend all day with my face buried in NFL news, stats and highlights.

Obviously, Whitney Walters, 33, of Dallas, TX., knows something I don't. Walters ended up homeless after needing back surgery an argument with David Dorey, going on medical leave from his job, and being forced to leave his home because it was condemned.

And still, he was better than over 3 million people at fantasy football.

He used computers at his father's nursing home, his mother's house, and the library. He knocked on neighbors' doors and asked if he could use their computers.

If you're wondering about specifics, Walters drafted Arian Foster(notes) and picked up Brandon Lloyd(notes) as a free agent. He made trades for Adrian Peterson and Dwayne Bowe(notes).

Oddly, Tony Romo(notes) was his quarterback, but when Romo went down with a season-ending injury, Walters had to make due with a string of borderline fantasy quarterbacks. He clinched the top spot behind Tim Tebow's surprising Week 17 performance against the Chargers. From The Salem News:

"My fantasy football was the one thing that kind of seemed to be going right at the time," Walters said. "There was a lot to be upset about, but the one thing that was steady and heading in a positive direction was the fantasy football. So I thought I might as well stick with it and ride it out. Thank God I did."

For his unbelievable performance, Walters won a $3,500 Best Buy gift card, which he's selling to his mother for $2,500 cash and he gets to play tag football with some former NFL loudmouth.

Link to the real story

Congrats :wacko:

Although I find the idea of this contest hilarious. You good at Fantasy Football? Winner gets to play Flag Football!!!! Same thing right? What could go wrong? I'm sure all those stat nerds keep a really good 40 time. :tup:

They'd be better off having the winner play against someone in Madden than to actually have them run some routes.