[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler has a torn MCL

T_bone65

Very true.

Cutler is a result of his own actions thus far in the league, and people seem to already look with a critical eye at his every action. Unfair or not, perceptions linger.

Case in point. Other NFL players were calling him out . . has anyone seen that before with an injured player publically? Cutler seems to be a magnet for automatic negative opinions of him, and doesnt give a rip about trying to change those perceptions. (whether or not he should or cares to is up to him. I dont care either way, just making an observation)

Wy does it matter that other players are calling him out. There are also other players defending him.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think Zia is either --

A. Jay Cutler

or

B. related to Jay Cutler ?

:wacko:

I may be in the minority in defending him, but I think he is getting a bum rap. No one here has yet been able to point out to me any specifics that make him a monster truck aficionado. It's all opinions and perception.

Here's a great read on the stoopidity of this idea that armchair tough guys like howboutthemcoboyz - amongst others- have such a crush on.

Here's another one:

First, if you haven't read Spencer Hall's article, read it. I concur in every particular.

Done? Sweet. Now, an analogy (they're those things on the SAT, for you Big XII fans):

Brett Favre:Mark McGwire::Jay Cutler:Barry Bonds.

Think about it. Favre is out there dragging around the field, playing progressively worse until finally being dragged off, and Minnesota''s out of contention - and each of his previous three seasons after "retiring" ended with a game-killing interception, usually in the playoffs - but because he's a good ol' boy and a gunslinger and like a kid having fun out there, he completely skates. Even after we all saw why he wears that jersey number. (Too soon?)

Meanwhile, here's Jay Cutler with a grade-2 tear of the MCL - but because people don't like his personality, he gets no benefit of the doubt. Actually, strike that - because people don't like what they think is his personality. Problems with the coach in Denver? Jay's a spoiled little whinebagger, and never mind that Denver fired Josh McDaniel once they realized that you can't catch New England Patriots-ness like you would a cold. Cutler ineffective in Chicago? Never mind that Chicago led the league in sacks allowed this year, or that #6 already has one concussion on the season. Comes out of the NFC title game on a national stage? Well he must be a girly-man wimp, since he can obviously walk around, they should have to drag him bleeding off the field as he fights to grab his helmet and run back out there! Never mind that an MCL tear on a quarterback's plant leg is basically an invitation to crumple in a heap, assuming you can stand up long enough to try to plant on it.

The NFL machine - the league, its amen corner on ESPN, and even some of the players, who haven't wrapped their heads around what "union" means - have already made their decision. Jay Cutler is Not Their Kind Of Guy. And in the ultra-conservative, ultra-conformist, neo-Dickensian world of the NFL, that's the worst mark a player can bear. Meanwhile, off we go with one alleged rapist in the Super Bowl and a convicted dogfighter in the Pro Bowl.

But Cutler's the bad guy. Ah. OK.

Tell you what, all you muttonheads burning your spamshirts in the Windy City - if you're tired of our boy, why not consider releasing him? I'm sure there are at least a few teams that might like to take a chance. Speaking as a guy who has Redskins fandom the way other people have, say, herpes, I'd sign Cutler tonight with no hesitation at all. Because unlike the usual assortment of steroid freaks and has-beens on the Sabbath gasbag shows (Deion? DEION SANDERS thinks somebody's soft? That's like having Paris Hilton call you a slut), those of us who have actually seen #6 at work know the truth: if he ever had an O-line commensurate with his talent, Cutler would have some kind of ring already.

A little advice for the yuk-yuks on cable, and AM radio, and throughout the blogosphere: forget about what you "know" and try looking at what's actually going on. You might be a little surprised. Meanwhile, I'll be out somewhere raising a glass in my black-and-gold #6 jersey, because that's our guy. I got his back.

I may be in the minority in defending him, but I think he is getting a bum rap. No one here has yet been able to point out to me any specifics that make him a monster truck aficionado. It's all opinions and perception.

I am with you brother, thats why I started this thread when I heard he had torn his MCL.

:lol:

you think your boy in your avatar woulda came out of the NFC championship game with that injury?

Yes. Your argument IS so weak that you have to change the subject to another player (Payton) and the scenario (Cutler didn't pull himself, the coaching staff pulled him). Urlacher was right - the players and fans of teams that weren't playing Sunday are jealous. Keep trying though. :wacko::tup:

Exactly right. Jim MIller and Rich Gannon both opined what I think as well.

The guys is as tough as nails. Have you not seen him lower his head and plow though defenders for a first down? I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

You wanna be athletes suck peytons sack while he sacks himself at the first sign of contact, then cry about a dude with a blown out knee? :wacko:

Too bad they can't all be as tough as turf toe sanders or pretty boy romo.

Edited by redrumjuice

I have seen Peyton do that numerous times.

I've also seen Peyton rally the troops and build his guys up. Manning makes everyone around him better. Last year in the Packers/Cards playoff game the wheels were off early and the Packers were behind the eight ball. Aaron Rodgers was talking to his guys, getting them ready to right the ship. When Pittsburgh fell behind to Baltimore a few weeks ago we see Roethlisberger calming his guys down and telling them point blank they were going to come back. Can you say the same thing about Cutler? Why would Jimmy Johnson rail against Cutler in the post game show and say that he has a bad attitude, tears his guys down, doesn't build them up and throws everyone under the bus? I find it hard to believe that all of these guys in the know just pick on him for no reason.

My dislike for him started when he was in Denver and he cried to the ref every chance he could. Then the Eddie Royal thing sealed the deal. He doesn't have the "it" factor that Favre, Young, Aikman, and now Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers and Roethlisberger have. He's still got a long career ahead of him and this very well may help him turn the corner with his attitude.

Either way the guy was hurt and shouldn't be getting as beat up as bad as he is. People point to Brett Favre, or what Philip Rivers did in the playoffs a few years ago. Those are great moments, and if every QB was that tough then it wouldn't be as impressive. Cutler isn't one of those insanely tough QB's, but not many are.

Exactly right. Jim MIller and Rich Gannon both opined what I think as well. You f0ktard idiot couch QB's bistching about Cutler are ST00pid.

The guys is as tough as nails. Have you not seen him lower his head and plow though defenders for a first down? I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

You wanna be athletes suck peytons sack while he sacks himself at the first sign of contact, then cry about a dude with a blown out knee? :wacko:

Too bad they can't all be as tough as turf toe sanders or pretty boy romo.

In reality, we're all armchair quarterbacks. I don't think you're taking snaps under center.

What an asinine analogy the Brett Favre:Mark McGwire::Jay Cutler:Barry Bonds is...

Brett Favre=All time great

Mark McGwire=brought baseball back after the strike, and is an icon... albeit for two reasons.

Barry Bonds=The greatest baseball player I'll see in my lifetime

Jay Cutler=Not anything close to the other guys.

Cutler took a beating all year, and he never quit. he wasnt coming out by his choice. If he couldnt plant his leg to throw, protect himself, he wasnt helping his team win. Kudos for having the balls to make the first switch and then not waiting around after that didnt work for the next switch to try and win the game.

Something I havent seen talked about, but I heard on the radio Monday, they should have waited 50+ second till the 3rd qtr expired to put in Hthe 3rd string QB, as per rules, if he is inseerted before the 4th qtr, the other 2 QBs could not return to the game. think if the games is tied 14-14, and Hanie is hurt and there is no QB left to play the rest of the game. Could have been a major screw up there.

Something I havent seen talked about, but I heard on the radio Monday, they should have waited 50+ second till the 3rd qtr expired to put in Hthe 3rd string QB, as per rules, if he is inseerted before the 4th qtr, the other 2 QBs could not return to the game. think if the games is tied 14-14, and Hanie is hurt and there is no QB left to play the rest of the game. Could have been a major screw up there.

Correct.

This is the same reason Vick had to be listed as QB2 behind McNabb last season, instead of Kolb.

While Kolb was their #2 guy when McNabb went down, if they wanted to use Vick on gadget plays and keep McNabb in the game, Kolb had to be QB3.

From what i have heard Collins actually was injured aswell that was why he was taken out when he was.

As far as Cutlers critics go I am not sure why he cops such a bad wrap since he has been in Chicago anyway. Other than his facial expression he rarely goes after another player if they make a mistake infact off the top of my head I can't remember an instance when this has happened. The players there seem to be behind him so surely that means he hasn't alienated them either.

Sadly enough I think he only has one year left on his contract and right now I really doubt he extends with Chicago automatically after all that has happened and what i foresee happening in the opening games next year. This will mean the Bears could very well be starting from scratch again next offseason.

That is becuase the 3rd QB doesn't have to be on the active squad, so once you play him, you're stuck with him.

That is becuase the 3rd QB doesn't have to be on the active squad, so once you play him, you're stuck with him.

Not entirely accurate. As the newbie was trying to point out, they brought Henie in with just under a minute left in the 3rd quarter, so then you are correct, none of the previous qbs in the game could return later. But if they had waited until the 4th quarter to bring Henie in, then any of the other qbs that had already played would have been allowed to return if needed.

Surprised no one has brought this up... it was all over ESPN radio today.

Fans up in arms because Jay Cutler spotted walking around with his girlfriend at an outlet mall in California.

Dan Patrick said something to the extent of "Look, I defended Jay, because it's not my place to say whether someone can play or if they can't - but when he goes out, walking around, shopping at a mall, after having to leave the biggest game of his life because of injury, I can't defend the guy."

I agree with DP by the way. You go through what Jay did, you stay underground for a bit and it blow over.

Surprised no one has brought this up... it was all over ESPN radio today.

Fans up in arms because Jay Cutler spotted walking around with his girlfriend at an outlet mall in California.

Dan Patrick said something to the extent of "Look, I defended Jay, because it's not my place to say whether someone can play or if they can't - but when he goes out, walking around, shopping at a mall, after having to leave the biggest game of his life because of injury, I can't defend the guy."

I agree with DP by the way. You go through what Jay did, you stay underground for a bit and it blow over.

Right. Because the rigors of a stroll at the mall are identical to those encountered whilst playing professional football.

:wacko: