[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl XLV

Menudo

Who Will Win The Super Bowl ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Vs. Spread - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
    • Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5)
  2. 2. Straight - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Pittsburgh Steelers

I know I am biased, but, I think this has the potential to be a phenomenal Super Bowl. Two of the biggest fan bases in the NFL, and two of the most successful franchises in NFL History. It matches up two good defenses and two good QB's. Both teams looked great getting off to big leads last week, but, then showed weaksnesses leatting their opponents back in the game.

Once again, I think the Steelers offense will depend on hwo their offensive line performs. I've been hard on them all year, and they have been patching up spots all year, but, I have to give them credit. They did a solid job against the Jets. Of course, Mendenhall ran as hard as I've ever seen, so, he did make-up for some of their shortcomings, as did Ben with his mobility. I think that the Packers have better corners. If the Steelers do not get heavy pressure and contain Rodgers, I have a bad feeling that Rodgers will be lightinup up McFadden, Gay & Clark who are liabilities when the defense doesn't get pressure. Keeping the Steelers D-Line & LB's out of the backfield is easier said than done, but, if they do it, I fear that Rodgers will light up the Steelers secondary. When these two teams played last year, it was an amazing shoot-out with the Steelers winning on a last second pass to Wallace for the win.

In the end, I expect an exciting back and fourth game, and think both offense will find ways to put points on the board. In the end, I just believe that it is the Packers year and that they will edge out the Steelers in a memorable Super Bowl.

Packers 34

Steelers 31

Edited by Menudo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So will you be betting on the Packers to profit from your pain?

So will you be betting on the Packers to profit from your pain?

I never bet on the Steelers game. On Sunday, I was trying to find to get a bit through on my blackberry, but, couldn't get on. I was going to take the Bears and the points. Thank goodness for the crappy service on my Blackberry at that bar in the Burgh. :wacko:

I have to tell you right out of the gate I like the Steelers and the points. I mean, despite America's love affair with the Packers we are talking about a group of guys that have been there, and a group that hasn't. That has to account for something in a game that on the surface looks like a coin flip. As much as I'd love to jump on that Packers bandwagon, I'm just not sure they can slay this monster. I'm definitely leaning toward taking the Steelers and the points in this game.

The fan in me will be rooting for the Packers, but the bettor in me says take the team that always seems to win when they get there plus the points.

Edited by rattsass

I never bet on the Steelers game. On Sunday, I was trying to find to get a bit through on my blackberry, but, couldn't get on. I was going to take the Bears and the points. Thank goodness for the crappy service on my Blackberry at that bar in the Burgh. :wacko:

Same with me and the Packers. Maybe a few friendly bets for a cup of coffee but that's as far as it goes. Should be a good one. Good luck. It's going to be a long two weeks. My prediction to come later. I must say that it is shocking, but admirable to see a Steelers' fan predicting a loss. Is that just for karmic reasons? :tup:

I know I am biased, but, I think this has the potential to be a phenomenal Super Bowl. Two of the biggest fan bases in the NFL, and two of the most successful franchises in NFL History. It matches up two good defenses and two good QB's. Both teams looked great getting off to big leads last week, but, then showed weaksnesses leatting their opponents back in the game.

Once again, I think the Steelers offense will depend on hwo their offensive line performs. I've been hard on them all year, and they have been patching up spots all year, but, I have to give them credit. They did a solid job against the Jets. Of course, Mendenhall ran as hard as I've ever seen, so, he did make-up for some of their shortcomings, as did Ben with his mobility. I think that the Packers have better corners. If the Steelers do not get heavy pressure and contain Rodgers, I have a bad feeling that Rodgers will be lightinup up McFadden, Gay & Clark who are liabilities when the defense doesn't get pressure. Keeping the Steelers D-Line & LB's out of the backfield is easier said than done, but, if they do it, I fear that Rodgers will light up the Steelers secondary. When these two teams played last year, it was an amazing shoot-out with the Steelers winning on a last second pass to Wallace for the win.

In the end, I expect an exciting back and fourth game, and think both offense will find ways to put points on the board. In the end, I just believe that it is the Packers year and that they will edge out the Steelers in a memorable Super Bowl.

Packers 34

Steelers 31

Noticed you have taken this position a lot this year. Working this angle still since it seems to be working for you? You have the winner right but I don't see Pittsburgh, or Green Bay for that matter, scoring that many points. This has the makings of a great Super Bowl, let's just hope that the zebra's don't get in the way.

Edited by theprofessor

A complete homer, but I think Green Bay spreads the Pittsburgh D out and Rodgers gets his first ring.

I think of all the teams that made the playoffs, only the Pats could give the Steelers D fits more so than Green Bay.

That being said, I do think Mendenhall will have room to work, and if Green Bay stumbles early on it could be a wreck.

I do know that Rodgers will have to play like he did against Philly and Atlanta to beat the big bad steelers.

I am so sick of these so called 'homers' picking against their team to win. We don't need the drama, be a man.

Noticed you have taken this position a lot this year. Working this angle still since it seems to be working for you? You have the winner right but I don't see Pittsburgh, or Green Bay for that matter, scoring that many points. This has the makings of a great Super Bowl, let's just hope that the zebra's don't get in the way.

I am not doing my picks for karma or schtick, I'm giving my honest opinion. If you noticed, I predicted the Steelers to go 9-7 in my pre-season predictions. I thought the Roethlisberger caused drama, being without him for the first 4 games, and losing one of our best O-Lineman to an already sub-par O-Line was going to cause a tough season. I was happy to be wrong.

In the playoffs, I originally had the Steelers losing to the Pats in the AFC Championship game, as the Pats had owned us for the last several years. After Baltimore's opening game victory, I thought our O-Line would be our un-doing in the Ravens game. The Jets just seemed like it was their year after knocking off the Patriots & Colts in the previous two weeks. Once again, I expected our O-Line to be our un-doing and the Jets to stay on their roll like the Steelers did in 2005. As for this game, the Packers are exactly the type of team that can give the Steelers D fits. They can spread us out because they have depth at WR and a great QB. I do think that IF the Steelers O-Line continues to over-achieve, the Steelers can put up some points as well. My gut still tells me that the Packers squeeze this out, but, of course, I hope that the Steelers continue to prove me wrong.

Obviously I'm a homer, but, the Steelers organization continues to amaze me. This year, they have overcome all of the drama, the injuries to the one area where they couldn't afford injuries and are playing in another Super Bowl. Of course, I want a 7th title, but, I'm proud to be a Steeler fan regardless of the outcome. They have given me so many thrills and so much excitement over the years, and I know that their time of being at or near top most every year will come to an end eventually (Like it did in the 80's), so, Im trying to appreciate it all as much as I can. Being at that AFC Championship game was something that I will NEVER forget and is one of my top sports memories of my lifetime so far.

I have to keep in mind that after enjoying the Steelers and what will hopefully be another fun Penguins run, baseball season is right around the corner, and I'll start my annual suffering. :wacko:

Edit to Add: Maurkice Pouncey's availability and health is a big issue for this game. He is, without question, the best offensive lineman the Steelers have.

Edited by Menudo

pretty evenly match except imo:

qb: edge gb

rb: strong edge pitt

wr: egde gb

te: edge pitt

d: split

st: split

mendy (and the ability to run) will be difference

My Rankings:

QB - Even

RB - PIT

WR - GB Slight

TE - PIT

OL - GB Solid

DL - Even

LB - PIT Slight

CB - GB Solid

S - PIT Slight

PK - GB

Punter - GB Slight

Coaching - PIT Slight

Experience - PIT

My Thoughts

QB - Pitt - Experience can not be over looked in this game, and seeing what the bears D did to Rodgers in the 2nd half, Pitt is going to be even tougher to contain. Ben and Co have already fought through 2 of the best defenses in the game, NYJ and Balt, and beat them both.

RB - PIT - not even close here.

WR/TE - Push - If it was strictly WR, I give the depth advantage to GB, but the best player advantage to Wallace. But when you factor in the TE, Miller is a huge part of the passing game. So lets break this down further - Wallace vs jennings. Push at best, though Wallace is going to be tougher to contain. Driver vs Ward. adv Driver, though Ward will be in the soft spots of the D and a easy 1st down target for Ben. Sanders and Brown vs Nelson and James Jones. The 2 rooks are more dynamic, but are rookies. And it depends on which Jones shows up, the one who catches the ball or the one who drops it. Miller vs Catchless as Big John calls him, huge advantage to Miller.

OL - push - Pouncy will be a big loss, if he is out. But Ben can still make plays with defenders draped on him. And GB OL isnt stellar either.

DL - Even - I actually like both of these units to make plays and this could be a deciding point in the games outcome, which DL plays better.

LB - PIT - Even if Mathews and Harrison is a tie, which I take Harrison, Farrior, Woodly and Timmons are far superior to Bishop, Hawk and Walden.

CB - GB - Williams and Taylor are great, but the hole is on the other side for both teams. Woodson isnt on an island anymore and plays alot in the box and blitzes.

S - Pitt - Poly nuff said. Biggest playmaker on either defense.

PK - Push Crosby has a bigger leg, but the Pit kicker is plenty accurate. And In my predictions Crosby doesnt make a FG in this game.

Punter - who cares

Coaching - PIT

Experience - PIT

Another thing I find hard to believe, is the #6 seed in the NFC is actually favored over the AFC Rep. All season long people have been saying the top teams in the AFC are the best teams in the league. And yet a team that practically backed into the playoffs, is the new favorite to win it all. Yes, GB looked great against 2 suspect passing Ds like ATL and Philly. But certainly didnt look as hot against Chicago. Why is that, maybe because CHI actually plays defense and the other 2 are avg at best overall. Pitt is the #1 D in the league, better than Chicago at almost every level, except maybe DL with Peppers. I think we see the Rodgers of that game, and not the Rodgers vs Atlanta. In closes games if GB can keep it close, I dont see Ben losing in crunch time, where Rodgers hasnt really shown he is clutch when the game is on the line, where Bens seems to play his best when the game is on the line.

My gut says we have a 7-7 game midway through the 2nd qtr.

Pitt scores the next 10 points to go up 17-7

GB scores again in the 3rd qtr to make it 17-14

Pitt scores late to ice the game, possibly a defensive score and win 24-14

Coaching, experience, Clutch QB play, and a D that will give Rodgers hell all day is going to be the difference.

E2A: Not taking anything away from GB, their D is solid, and Ben will have his problems as well. I just think we see the Rodgers of last Sunday and not the Rodgers of the 2 weeks prior in this game. And with the Game on the line the Pitt QB is clutch.

Edited by Living the Dream

Green Bay will struggle against Mendy (I assume Pouncy will play). Forte had a great game this week. I look for Mendy to do the same.

Green Bay has aslo struggled against the TE this year, and Miller is one of the more talented TEs that Green Bay has played against.

I think the Steelers will win due to lack of offenseive opportunities for the Packers offense. I see the Steelers playing ball-control and gridning the clock down with long sustained drives. I just dont know if the Packers offense can put together a FULL GAME plan that will play to win instead of "not to lose" against a great defense.

Also Big Ben is the strongest and most physical QB in the league. He can shrug off LBs like nothing, and if Green Bay brings the CB and safety blitzes again, Roth rolling out can really hurt them.

Uhm, GB hasn't exactly been torn up by TE's. When's the last time this has even been an issue?

'Mendy' vs. Starks. Well, who is leading the playoffs in rushing yardage? Starks looks really good. He's basically a decoy, but when he hits those holes, it's fun to watch. Mendenhall looked good against the Jets. Packers run defense has been outstanding lately. Forte was the only RB who did anything so far in the playoffs against the Packers and he didn't break 100 yards rushing.

GB goes 5 deep for WR's. True, most would be,at best, #2's, but even the teams with the best secondaries struggled against 4-5 wide. Pitt goes 3 deep.

Has anyone been watching the Packers DEF lately? Hello, Williams, Shields and heck, even Peprah have been playing out of their minds.

Little concern at the LB, where Walden is hurt, but they've been holding their own. Most likely because of Raji, Jennings, Green, Pickett. Raji is a man possessed.

Punter: GB, hands down. If you don't think special teams is important, just ask the Bears how that went for them.

Kicker, whoever Pitts kicker is. I have no confidence in Crosby, although being indoors helps.

Packers controlled the Bear game and got a little lax there in the second half. This was the first playoff game I wasn't worried at all. Packers were just better than Chi.

One thing I'm curious about: people are talking about Pitt's experience vs. the Packers lack of. What about desire? I'm hoping GB will 'want it' more. But, I've always said, talent usually wins in the end. Who has more talent in the end? I think GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I am a homer, though, so let me have it!

Should be fun! GB 35 - Pitt 21.

Uhm, GB hasn't exactly been torn up by TE's. When's the last time this has even been an issue?

'Mendy' vs. Starks. Well, who is leading the playoffs in rushing yardage? Starks looks really good. He's basically a decoy, but when he hits those holes, it's fun to watch. Mendenhall looked good against the Jets. Packers run defense has been outstanding lately. Forte was the only RB who did anything so far in the playoffs against the Packers and he didn't break 100 yards rushing.

GB goes 5 deep for WR's. True, most would be,at best, #2's, but even the teams with the best secondaries struggled against 4-5 wide. Pitt goes 3 deep.

Has anyone been watching the Packers DEF lately? Hello, Williams, Shields and heck, even Peprah have been playing out of their minds.

Little concern at the LB, where Walden is hurt, but they've been holding their own. Most likely because of Raji, Jennings, Green, Pickett. Raji is a man possessed.

Punter: GB, hands down. If you don't think special teams is important, just ask the Bears how that went for them.

Kicker, whoever Pitts kicker is. I have no confidence in Crosby, although being indoors helps.

Packers controlled the Bear game and got a little lax there in the second half. This was the first playoff game I wasn't worried at all. Packers were just better than Chi.

One thing I'm curious about: people are talking about Pitt's experience vs. the Packers lack of. What about desire? I'm hoping GB will 'want it' more. But, I've always said, talent usually wins in the end. Who has more talent in the end? I think GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I am a homer, though, so let me have it!

Should be fun! GB 35 - Pitt 21.

Most ignorant statement by a huddler in 10 years. GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I understand many are picking the Pack, and they very well may win, but if you think better man to man, you think Pitt doesnt have a player than could start for GB, and that is just complete BS. You telling me GB has better safeties than Poly. Better LB 4 some than Farrior, Woodley, Timmons, and harrison. Better RB than Mendy, or TE than Miller.

How many TDs did Rodgers throw last week against a solid D. I certainly wouldnt say they struggled against the pass. held Rodgers to 244 yards, most in the 1st half, and picked him twice, once inside the Bear 5.

How many FG did Philly Miss, and a complete drop INT, or GB wouldnt even be in this position. yet everyone seems to be enamored with the ATL game, they forget they could have very easily lost the Philly Game, and Chicagos 3rd string QB led the Bears to 2 TDs, and before his 2nd INT, he was driving to tie the game in the 4th.

And you telling me GB being favored, isnt going to fire up Pitt even more. Who wants it more, you think Pitt is backing down or wants it less than GB does. If anything the coach from GB hasnt proven he wants anything more, he is playing not to lose with a lead, than to win.

I get the Pack are a solid team, and could see them winning the game, but this is quite possibly the biggest homer post Ive seen here in a while. GB is better man to man than Pitt. Complete garbage :wacko:

Most ignorant statement by a huddler in 10 years. GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I understand many are picking the Pack, and they very well may win, but if you think better man to man, you think Pitt doesnt have a player than could start for GB, and that is just complete BS. You telling me GB has better safeties than Poly. Better LB 4 some than Farrior, Woodley, Timmons, and harrison. Better RB than Mendy, or TE than Miller.

How many TDs did Rodgers throw last week against a solid D. I certainly wouldnt say they struggled against the pass. held Rodgers to 244 yards, most in the 1st half, and picked him twice, once inside the Bear 5.

How many FG did Philly Miss, and a complete drop INT, or GB wouldnt even be in this position. yet everyone seems to be enamored with the ATL game, they forget they could have very easily lost the Philly Game, and Chicagos 3rd string QB led the Bears to 2 TDs, and before his 2nd INT, he was driving to tie the game in the 4th.

And you telling me GB being favored, isnt going to fire up Pitt even more. Who wants it more, you think Pitt is backing down or wants it less than GB does. If anything the coach from GB hasnt proven he wants anything more, he is playing not to lose with a lead, than to win.

I get the Pack are a solid team, and could see them winning the game, but this is quite possibly the biggest homer post Ive seen here in a while. GB is better man to man than Pitt. Complete garbage :wacko:

Like I said, I'm a homer.

Didn't mean to imply every player, at every position on the Packers was better than Pitts. It came out wrong.

What I meant was, overall, GB has a stronger team. However, that's just this homer's opinion.

I guess that's why they play the game...

Like I said, I'm a homer.

Didn't mean to imply every player, at every position on the Packers was better than Pitts. It came out wrong.

What I meant was, overall, GB has a stronger team. However, that's just this homer's opinion.

I guess that's why they play the game...

Gotcha...

And you might add to your sig.

GB won 11 of those 12 titles before I was born, so in 41 yrs, they have exactly one.

Just kind of dumb for people to brag about things that happened before they were even born.

I'm a Huge Sooner fan, but I wasnt around to experience the 3 titles in the 50's, so I dont brag about them. It happened before I was a fan.

But to each his own.

Edited by Living the Dream

Gotcha...

And you might add to your sig.

GB won 11 of those 12 titles before I was born, so in 41 yrs, they have exactly one.

Just kind of dumb for people to brag about things that happened before they were even born.

I'm a Huge Sooner fan, but I wasnt around to experience the 3 titles in the 50's, so I dont brag about them. It happened before I was a fan.

But to each his own.

Clearly you hate the Packers and it affects every analysis you've done on them in the post-season. So rest assured that everyone here knows you dislike them. We get it.

Here's my analysis: I'm picking the team you DON'T pick to win - in this case, GB - because they've proven you wrong thru every playoff game this season.

And I know you can't stand it. :wacko: