[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl XLV

Menudo

Who Will Win The Super Bowl ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Vs. Spread - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
    • Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5)
  2. 2. Straight - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Pittsburgh Steelers

Clearly you hate the Packers and it affects every analysis you've done on them in the post-season. So rest assured that everyone here knows you dislike them. We get it.

Here's my analysis: I'm picking the team you DON'T pick to win - in this case, GB - because they've proven you wrong thru every playoff game this season.

And I know you can't stand it. :wacko:

:tup: Now that was funny. :lol:

Edited by bpwallace49

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I'm a homer.

Didn't mean to imply every player, at every position on the Packers was better than Pitts. It came out wrong.

What I meant was, overall, GB has a stronger team. However, that's just this homer's opinion.

I guess that's why they play the game...

Dude, no need to be reconciliatory to Living In A Dream - he's a rabid Packer hater and still bitter about the Ice Bowl.

Clearly you hate the Packers and it affects every analysis you've done on them in the post-season. So rest assured that everyone here knows you dislike them. We get it.

Here's my analysis: I'm picking the team you DON'T pick to win - in this case, GB - because they've proven you wrong thru every playoff game this season.

And I know you can't stand it. :tup:

I picked GB to beat Philly and ATL. I picked Chicago in the last round. I dont hate GB at all. I just dont get the crazy over the top comments how great they are. They were hot in the 1st 2 weeks, but almost choked a chance at the SB to a 3rd string QB, and that cant just be over looked as if it didnt happen. Its like Pitt shouldnt even show up to this game if you listen to the people saying how elite Rodgers is, and how they are better than Pit man to man.

Rodger is an elite Fantasy QB, but we are too quick to translate that into a great QB before he has done anything. If you are happy he got you to the SB, great. But if Pit wins and he plays like he did against Chicago, is he still elite with 2 poor performances in his last 2 games of the playoffs. I merely point out the other side of the argument that so many act like doesnt exist. Im actually rooting for GB, as Pit broke my heart twice as a kid, and I havent forgotten. And we owned GB in our hay day of the 90s. :wacko:

One more thing, if Rodgers wins this game, he will have done something Favre never did, win a game in Big D.

Edited by Living the Dream

And I know you can't stand it. :lol:

Sarge making a roid rage(Matthews as he has aired every thread with a passion) comeback of epic proportions!!!!! Just the usual hating of anyone who doesn't believe in what is the truth.... Ya Know Sarge's playbook... wasn't around in the main FF forums for most of the year (hiding in the woodworks) :tup: But coming out with a flurry in postseason where most take a break in hopes he can resurrect himself with yet another handle!!! Can't wait to see the next handle after this ban..... :rofl: Or a PM wanting to come see us and see who the REAL man is :wacko:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Sarge making a roid rage(Matthews as he has aired every thread with a passion) comeback of epic proportions!!!!! Just the usual hating of anyone who doesn't believe in what is the truth.... Ya Know Sarge's playbook... wasn't around in the main FF forums for most of the year (hiding in the woodworks) :tup: But coming out with a flurry in postseason where most take a break in hopes he can resurrect himself with yet another handle!!! Can't wait to see the next handle after this ban..... :lol: Or a PM wanting to come see us and see who the REAL man is :wacko:

Do I know you, You seem to have a delusional idea of facts here. Hiding in the woodworks, are you crazy. I was in the baseball threads all post season, we debated on the WS for over a week, and I gave props to the Giants and admitted I was wrong when I like most of ESPN picked Texas to win the WS. What more do you want? Are you upset Im not impressed with your self described feats via PM, how you were the greatest baseball player of your generation, and I was stupid to debate Texas would win because you say you still own some record somewhere? Seriously, Who gives a chit, I wasnt impressed. matt Cain, Lincecum and the kid pitcher were the reason SF won and Texas lost, not your self described accolades of 20 years ago. Also, I was in the the college forums all season. Sorry if I didnt post here enough for your liking. There really wasnt much to say here in this forum, as Dallas sucked. I certainly wasnt going to argue that fact. Besides my fantasy leagues occupied most of my free time during the season, outside my passion for the rangers and Sooners. trust me if Dallas was winning, you would have seen more of me here. Probably smoking the same crack pipe some packer fans are smoking today. :rofl: You know, in fantasyland about how Pitt has no chance, man to man they are superior. rodgers is Mr Elite, etc. etc. etc. Hell i thought Menudo would be bad, but some Packer fans have made him look like a choir boy.

BTW, I kinda like this handle, so I think I'll keep it. And resurrect what. Playing devils advocate of some delusional Packer fans who think PIT has no chance, wants it less, or has better players man to man. Or trying to slow the induction of Rodgers into the HOF. Sorry pal, you havent a clue. I have no agenda. As Ive said before several times.

I'M ROOTING FOR GB IN THE SUPERBOWL.....

Even if it means I dont think they win....

Edit to Add: Maurkice Pouncey's availability and health is a big issue for this game. He is, without question, the best offensive lineman the Steelers have.

This can't be over-stressed and I never thought I'd hold out my opinion until I knew the status of a single O-lineman, but I am. I'm sure Roth and the back-up will at least get their snap down by then, but Raji will create fits if Pitt's best O-lineman is not across from him. And in a game that seems as evenly matched as this one does, that could easily be the difference.

I am so sick of these so called 'homers' picking against their team to win. We don't need the drama, be a man.

OK, moran, let's see you post you're team is going 16-0. Even better, you're team is going undefeated the whole way. Not only will you be just a homo, er, homer, you'll be the biggest man on the internet. You do have a team right? Or do you switch week to week?

We all know Menudo's a Steeler diehard, just like I'm a Lions diehard,( you can make jokes on a different post. )

For you to post something like the comment above, your gf must not let you off the porch. I'd love to pick the LIons to win every week, and even the SB. If I'm not seeing a win, I'd be far from not saying so. The man post's his opinion, and a boy comes along knocking it.

This can't be over-stressed and I never thought I'd hold out my opinion until I knew the status of a single O-lineman, but I am. I'm sure Roth and the back-up will at least get their snap down by then, but Raji will create fits if Pitt's best O-lineman is not across from him. And in a game that seems as evenly matched as this one does, that could easily be the difference.

"Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain) was on crutches and sporting a hard cast on his lower left leg Wednesday morning."

Still has a week and a half to rest, but it's not looking good.

"Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain) was on crutches and sporting a hard cast on his lower left leg Wednesday morning."

Still has a week and a half to rest, but it's not looking good.

If he doesn't play, he's as big a pussily as Cutler

For Puddy, and to brag about my favorite team :tup:

:wacko:

So the Super Bowl is set with the Packers and the Steelers. Which of these two teams would you like to see the Lions emulate most?

As the Pittsburgh Steelers closed out the AFC title game Sunday night against the New York Jets, my wife Christy turned to me and said, “Don’t the Steelers always win?”

“Yep,” I said. “Pretty much.”

Three Super Bowls in the last five years. Eight Super Bowls overall. Six titles with perhaps another one on the way. They’ve had three head coaches in my lifetime. They are the model of stability in all of sports.

If you’re part of the thirty- or fortysomethings reading this post, you’ll agree — The Pittsburgh Steelers are the gold standard in all of sports. The Yankees have had down periods. The Canadiens and the Celtics have fallen off the map on occasion. Even the Lakers were dreadful for a year or two (although they’re the closest thing to the Steelers that we have).

I’ve been alive for 40 years. During that span, the Steelers have had eight losing seasons. During that same period, the Lions have had 26. The Steelers have played in 15 conference title games. The Lions, one. So you tell me who should the Lions try to emulate?

The contrast between the two teams is startling. And part of the reason is that the two franchises seem so similar. They both are steeped in history. They both have owners to whom players are fiercely loyal. And ownership hasn’t changed for either team in decades. But the Rooneys are regarded as the greatest owners in the NFL. The Fords are not.

I always ask NFL people how these two ownership groups could look so similar from the outside, and yet perform so differently on the field. It’s baffling. How does someone like Mike Wallace thrive in Pittsburgh, while Mike Williams is a dud in Detroit?

Larry Foote tried to come home for one season here in Detroit in 2009 — and hustled back to Pittsburgh to take a backup role the moment it became available.

The answer to my question always seems to boil down to a culture. In Steeler land, there is a culture of winning that goes all the way back to Terry Bradshaw. In Lion land, there is a culture of losing that goes all the way back to Jeff Komlo.

So how do you change that culture? How do you get the ultimate loser to become the ultimate winner?

The first answer is that you don’t. The gap is way too broad and the number of teams and amount of parity is way too much to overcome. The Lions will one day get to the Super Bowl (I really believe that after watching the Giants win the World Series), but they won’t get to eight in our lifetime.

The second answer is consistency. There has to be a voice that the Lions players can follow. That may be Ndamukong Suh, who has performed well on and off the field since arriving in Detroit. Now he plans to spend the week in Hawaii trying to recruit free agents to come to Detroit.

It may be Matthew Stafford if he can stay in there for an entire season. (As we saw Sunday with the Bears, fans don’t like quarterbacks who get hurt.)

It may be Jim Schwartz. You can’t coronate Schwartz based on the four-game winning streak to end the season.

But look at some of the most stable franchises in sports: the Steelers, the Titans, the Jazz, the Braves, the Twins. These teams don’t turn over coaches year after year after year. As a result, the players are held more accountable. Bud Adams may one day regret choosing Jeff Fisher over Vince Young, but it sends a fantastic message to the team. You follow the way we do things, or you’re gone. I’d love to see Schwartz succeed and get the same leverage here in Detroit.

If there was some magic Steeler formula, every team in the league would have copied it already. The NFL is the ultimate copycat league.

At least there are some encouraging signs in Lions land. Suh’s a big one. But so are guys like Stefan Logan and Ashlee Palmer who came through when so little was expected of them. The Steelers and the Packers both have a lot of those guys on their teams. You win with stars like Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger and Clay Matthews and Troy Polumalu. But you have to have second- and third-tier guys who come up big as well. The Lions had that down the stretch, which is why they finished strong. Now they just need to have that from the beginning.

One more thing, if Rodgers wins this game, he will have done something Favre never did, win a game in Big D.

:tup: That was damn funny. :lol:

And when Rodgers had his game against Atlanta, that wasnt just fantasy stats. That was 31-36 passing on the road against a very good team. They guy is crazy accurate, and his evolution from getting routinely destroyed in the pocket to being very elusive at sensing and evading pressure is a great indication of a player that just keeps getting better. Even some of his misses are flat out drops by WRs which hurt his completion rate.

I just hope that if the Packers win the Super Bowl, that you finally give Rodgers his due . . . :wacko:

And when Rodgers had his game against Atlanta, that wasnt just fantasy stats. That was 31-36 passing on the road against a very good team. They guy is crazy accurate, and his evolution from getting routinely destroyed in the pocket to being very elusive at sensing and evading pressure is a great indication of a player that just keeps getting better. Even some of his misses are flat out drops by WRs which hurt his completion rate.

I just hope that if the Packers win the Super Bowl, that you finally give Rodgers his due . . . :wacko:

fair enough, and if he plays the way he did against chicago and Pitt wins, I hope not only will Packer fans step away from the ledge, but will slow their roll on his induction into Canton this offseason.

My point was never Rodgers wasnt a good QB, that is obvious. Just when I think of elite, I think of HOF type players, and if his career ended today, he isnt even close. For the record, Im not sure I think Brees is elite yet either. he did it once, but lost to the worst playoff record team in history, even if it was his defense that was the major cause of the defeat. And he hasnt taken his team to the post season enough yet to be there yet. Manning, brady, and Roeth are the only "elite- HOF type" QBs right now IMO. Brees is very close, and rodgers has yet to come close to what Brees has done, yet.

Gotcha...

And you might add to your sig.

GB won 11 of those 12 titles before I was born, so in 41 yrs, they have exactly one.

Just kind of dumb for people to brag about things that happened before they were even born.

I'm a Huge Sooner fan, but I wasnt around to experience the 3 titles in the 50's, so I dont brag about them. It happened before I was a fan.

But to each his own.

Congrats on being the first person on my "ignore" list. :wacko:

fair enough, and if he plays the way he did against chicago and Pitt wins, I hope not only will Packer fans step away from the ledge, but will slow their roll on his induction into Canton this offseason.

My point was never Rodgers wasnt a good QB, that is obvious. Just when I think of elite, I think of HOF type players, and if his career ended today, he isnt even close. For the record, Im not sure I think Brees is elite yet either. he did it once, but lost to the worst playoff record team in history, even if it was his defense that was the major cause of the defeat. And he hasnt taken his team to the post season enough yet to be there yet. Manning, brady, and Roeth are the only "elite- HOF type" QBs right now IMO. Brees is very close, and rodgers has yet to come close to what Brees has done, yet.

The guy has been a starter for 3 years. Oh course if he was done today he wouldn't be a HOFer. Sorry, you need to get a clue.

Don't feed the troll, bp.

The guy has been a starter for 3 years. Oh course if he was done today he wouldn't be a HOFer. Sorry, you need to get a clue.

Ive said all Im going to say about him.... he wins this game, he takes a huge step. And I said Id give him his due then.

BTW, if my opinion is worthy of your ignore list, I take it you wont be commenting on my opinions any longer. RIGHT, right.. :wacko:

They found a broken bone in Pouncey's ankle, along with the high sprain. It is looking very doubtful for him. Also, it looks like Aaron Smith won't be playing either. Bummer, but, good teams have to overcome. The Packers have certainly overcome a lot of injuries all over the place this year. The Steelers just have happened to have most of their injuries occur at their weakest spot. Legursky actually played well, but, Pouncey will be missed, especially with a beast like Raji playing across from him. As for Smith, he was a long-shot to play, and they have been without him pretty much the entire season.

Pouncey article

:wacko:

Smith article

:tup:

The more I think about this game, the more I am thinking Green Bay wins it. I just keep thinking about how the Pack looked indoors at Atlanta, and how they looked when they thrashed the Cowboys in this stadium 45-7. Then I think about the fast Green bay defense and the patched together Steelers O-line. Yeah, the Steelers have the experience, and a penchant for ruining me every time I bet against them, but I think I am onboard with Green Bay here. I just can't find a reason not to believe in them any more.

The more I think about this game, the more I am thinking Green Bay wins it. I just keep thinking about how the Pack looked indoors at Atlanta, and how they looked when they thrashed the Cowboys in this stadium 45-7. Then I think about the fast Green bay defense and the patched together Steelers O-line. Yeah, the Steelers have the experience, and a penchant for ruining me every time I bet against them, but I think I am onboard with Green Bay here. I just can't find a reason not to believe in them any more.

That game was in Green Bay.

I think Steelers - spread or no spread...and Green Bay was my early pick and has been my team almost the entire playoffs to win it......but the Steelers showed me something a few weeks ago and I think they are the best team right now....

but who knows....they will all have an extra week of rest, playing in pretty much a dome...

It is going to be a battle. My concern is can the Packers spread the Steelers defense and nickel and dime them down the field like the Patriots did. They have the personnel to possibly pull it off. My other concern is the offensive line allowing the Steelers to run the ball. The Steelers have to have success in the running game on offense. This will allow them to go with play action and help with Ben's protection. Without running success, I fear the Packers defense may feast on Ben. This offensive line wasn't great before. Pouncey was one of the last people they could afford to lose. However, Ben is probably the best QB in the NFL to have behind a sub-par O-Line. If the Steelers can keep the game within reach, and put the ball in Ben's hands on the last drive with a chance to win it, I like the Steelers chances. He has been money in the clutch. My heart says that the Steelers can do it, as they've pleasantly surprised me many times before. However, my brain sees the Steelers coming up short in this one. I hope I'm wrong again, and as game week draws near, my excitement is growing.

On another note, the Packers are a hard team and fanbase to dislike. However, I'm getting there. On American Idol the other day, there was a girl shooting off about the Packers, and she annoyed the hell out of me. By next Sunday, I need to find a way to make them the Ravens in my mind. :wacko:

On another note, the Packers are a hard team and fanbase to dislike. However, I'm getting there. On American Idol the other day, there was a girl shooting off about the Packers, and she annoyed the hell out of me.

That's funny, when I saw her I imagined that she was the Green Bay female version of Menudo. :wacko: