[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl XLV

Menudo

Who Will Win The Super Bowl ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Vs. Spread - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
    • Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5)
  2. 2. Straight - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Pittsburgh Steelers

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing devils advocate of some delusional Packer fans who think PIT has no chance, wants it less, or has better players man to man. Or trying to slow the induction of Rodgers into the HOF. Sorry pal, you havent a clue. I have no agenda. As Ive said before several times.

Where did we say any of this?

Uhm, GB hasn't exactly been torn up by TE's. When's the last time this has even been an issue?

'Mendy' vs. Starks. Well, who is leading the playoffs in rushing yardage? Starks looks really good. He's basically a decoy, but when he hits those holes, it's fun to watch. Mendenhall looked good against the Jets. Packers run defense has been outstanding lately. Forte was the only RB who did anything so far in the playoffs against the Packers and he didn't break 100 yards rushing.

GB goes 5 deep for WR's. True, most would be,at best, #2's, but even the teams with the best secondaries struggled against 4-5 wide. Pitt goes 3 deep.

Has anyone been watching the Packers DEF lately? Hello, Williams, Shields and heck, even Peprah have been playing out of their minds.

Little concern at the LB, where Walden is hurt, but they've been holding their own. Most likely because of Raji, Jennings, Green, Pickett. Raji is a man possessed.

Punter: GB, hands down. If you don't think special teams is important, just ask the Bears how that went for them.

Kicker, whoever Pitts kicker is. I have no confidence in Crosby, although being indoors helps.

Packers controlled the Bear game and got a little lax there in the second half. This was the first playoff game I wasn't worried at all. Packers were just better than Chi.

One thing I'm curious about: people are talking about Pitt's experience vs. the Packers lack of. What about desire? I'm hoping GB will 'want it' more. But, I've always said, talent usually wins in the end. Who has more talent in the end? I think GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I am a homer, though, so let me have it!

Should be fun! GB 35 - Pitt 21.

Where did we say any of this?
Edited by Living the Dream

I'm hoping GB will 'want it' more. But, I've always said, talent usually wins in the end. Who has more talent in the end? I think GB is better man to man than Pitt.

I am a homer, though, so let me have it!

Should be fun! GB 35 - Pitt 21.

He said he hopes and he thinks... Which is not what you based your post off of. He gave an opinion that doesn't come off arrogant or cocky.

And clearly, you do have an agenda.

Edited by piratesownninjas

He said he hopes and he thinks... Which is not what you based your post off of. He gave an opinion that doesn't come off arrogant or cocky.

And clearly, you do have an agenda.

Playing devils advocate of some delusional Packer fans who think PIT has no chance, wants it less, or has better players man to man. Or trying to slow the induction of Rodgers into the HOF. Sorry pal, you havent a clue. I have no agenda. As Ive said before several times.

I'M ROOTING FOR GB IN THE SUPERBOWL.....

Even if it means I dont think they win....

Lets see, didnt I say some delusional packer fans who THINK Pit has no chance, wants it less or has better players man to man.

Exactly what he said.

Geez, Seriously dude.

BTW, I thought you put me on ignore? Liar?

And what agenda, when in the same post, on the next line that you left out, I said

Go away troll, you are just trying to pick a fight you cant win.

Honor your word before, and ignore me. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Living the Dream

Lets see, didnt I say some delusional packer fans who THINK Pit has no chance, wants it less or has better players man to man.

Exactly what he said.

Geez, Seriously dude.

BTW, I thought you put me on ignore? Liar?

And what agenda, when in the same post, on the next line that you left out, I said

Go away troll, you are just trying to pick a fight you cant win.

Honor your word before, and ignore me. Thanks in advance.

Your agenda towards Packers fans, not the Packers franchise. And let's be honest, you've blocked me from sending you PM's only to unblock me so you can send me a threat or some other nonsense, followed by you blocking me so I can't respond. And I'm not picking a fight homes. It's a message board, and I'm simply making a post on said message board. You no longer rile me up, as I've figured you're all schtick.

Your agenda towards Packers fans, not the Packers franchise. And let's be honest, you've blocked me from sending you PM's only to unblock me so you can send me a threat or some other nonsense, followed by you blocking me so I can't respond. And I'm not picking a fight homes. It's a message board, and I'm simply making a post on said message board. You no longer rile me up, as I've figured you're all schtick.

Real Packer fans are some of the people I respect most around here. Big John, fatman, Randall, chavez. So I have no agenda towards real packer fans. And funny they dont respond to my opinions because they know its simply that. Where do you fit in this scenerio. You dont .....

Real Packer fans are some of the people I respect most around here. Big John, fatman, Randall, chavez. So I have no agenda towards real packer fans. And funny they dont respond to my opinions because they know its simply that. Where do you fit in this scenerio. You dont .....

You're right. You decide who is and who isn't a packers fan.

xoxoxo

By the way, all of you Non-Steeler fans are sooooo lucky. You don't realize how much stress is involved in watching your team play in every other Super Bowl. It really takes its toll................. :wacko::tup:

This can't be over-stressed and I never thought I'd hold out my opinion until I knew the status of a single O-lineman, but I am. I'm sure Roth and the back-up will at least get their snap down by then, but Raji will create fits if Pitt's best O-lineman is not across from him. And in a game that seems as evenly matched as this one does, that could easily be the difference.

Well, the thing is, it isn't just Raji eating up the backup; it's the ripple effect it creates - if an injured Pouncey/backup C is getting demolished by Raji, he needs help. Which suddenly means you're having to single up either Clay Matthews or the forgotten man Cullen Jenkins.

The contrast between the two teams is startling. And part of the reason is that the two franchises seem so similar. They both are steeped in history. They both have owners to whom players are fiercely loyal. And ownership hasn’t changed for either team in decades. But the Rooneys are regarded as the greatest owners in the NFL. The Fords are not.

I always ask NFL people how these two ownership groups could look so similar from the outside, and yet perform so differently on the field. It’s baffling. How does someone like Mike Wallace thrive in Pittsburgh, while Mike Williams is a dud in Detroit?

The answer to my question always seems to boil down to a culture. In Steeler land, there is a culture of winning that goes all the way back to Terry Bradshaw. In Lion land, there is a culture of losing that goes all the way back to Jeff Komlo.

So how do you change that culture? How do you get the ultimate loser to become the ultimate winner?

The first answer is that you don’t. The gap is way too broad and the number of teams and amount of parity is way too much to overcome. The Lions will one day get to the Super Bowl (I really believe that after watching the Giants win the World Series), but they won’t get to eight in our lifetime.

The second answer is consistency. There has to be a voice that the Lions players can follow. That may be Ndamukong Suh, who has performed well on and off the field since arriving in Detroit. Now he plans to spend the week in Hawaii trying to recruit free agents to come to Detroit.

It may be Jim Schwartz. You can’t coronate Schwartz based on the four-game winning streak to end the season.

But look at some of the most stable franchises in sports: the Steelers, the Titans, the Jazz, the Braves, the Twins. These teams don’t turn over coaches year after year after year. As a result, the players are held more accountable. Bud Adams may one day regret choosing Jeff Fisher over Vince Young, but it sends a fantastic message to the team. You follow the way we do things, or you’re gone. I’d love to see Schwartz succeed and get the same leverage here in Detroit.

If there was some magic Steeler formula, every team in the league would have copied it already. The NFL is the ultimate copycat league.

What's funny about this is that even a few years into the Chuck Noll era, the Steelers had been a complete JOKE of a franchise. As a matter of fact, they hired Buddy Parker away from the Lions (where he won 3 NFL titles and lost another) and he finished 4 games over .500, with zero playoff appearances - which qualifies as the salad days for the pre-Noll Steelers. 11 coaches in the 34 years prior to Noll (12 if you count Walt Kiesling twice).

Bottom line is you get the players, and you get the coach. THAT turns it around. It can be done, and I do have to say it looks as though the Lions are on the right track; and while you can complain about the Fords being overly loyal to the incompetent Millen, they WERE to some extent imitating the "Rooney model" - a LOT of owners would have figured Cowher was done after his 22-32 stretch from 98-00.

A BIG part of the Rooney model is that you stick by your coach/GM through the rough patches. Granted, guys like Noll, Cowher, et al have built up some equity that someone like Wayne Fontes or Matt Millen wouldn't necessarily have in the bank, but the point remains.

EDITED TO ADD - this is not meant to demean the Steelers in any way; post-merger, they are pretty much IT. Even during the latter eras of the Noll era, they were still an average team; Miami and Dallas, the other contender for "best post-merger" BOTH have fallen off the map hard at times.

I am just pointing out that going into the 70s, if you said "Pitt is going to turn it around, become a model franchise, and be a team others seek to emulate," people would have pelted you with rotten vegetables.

Edited by Chavez

Congrats on being the first person on my "ignore" list. :wacko:

The main problem is it's like playing Whack-a-Mole - you ignore one alias and he's back with another in a few months.

I like pittsburgh. they and their fans sold their souls to satan when they welcomed the Rapist back with open arms, and you just don't bet against satan in a big game.

Hey, Johnny took the Devil down hard in that Charlie Daniels song.

a LOT of owners would have figured Cowher was done after his 22-32 stretch from 98-00.

What I loved about that situation with Cowher was that the fans were calling for Cowher's head. To squash the fan unrest and doubts, after that poor run, Rooney gave Cowher an extension, and he then silenced the critics. As it turns out, they knew what they were doing.

You are absolutely right, the Steelers were an absolute joke pre-Noll, no doubt about it.

Well, I'm off to LA to do a music video tomorrow. Yeah, some jackwad producer scheduled a music video on the biggest day of the year. I can guarantee if the US Open was on tomorrow, we wouldn't be shooting. Mother Penny Laneign JACKWAD!!! Enjoy the game...I need a post rest anyway.

:flipoff: producers.

What I loved about that situation with Cowher was that the fans were calling for Cowher's head. To squash the fan unrest and doubts, after that poor run, Rooney gave Cowher an extension, and he then silenced the critics. As it turns out, they knew what they were doing.

What's amusing to me is when some team is dissatisfied with Coach X, Bill Cowher's name is the FIRST one to come up.

And nothing against Cowher, but it's along the lines of "hmmm, I'm wondering what your opinion would have been after year 12 of Bill Cowher with no SB"

What's amusing to me is when some team is dissatisfied with Coach X, Bill Cowher's name is the FIRST one to come up.

And nothing against Cowher, but it's along the lines of "hmmm, I'm wondering what your opinion would have been after year 12 of Bill Cowher with no SB"

Winning the big one is the difference between Cowher's coaching career and Andy Reid's. Both are great coaches, who have had lots of success, but, as a coach, you have to win the big one to move into that next tier. At least, that seems to be the popular opinion.

Edited by Menudo

Winning the big one is the difference between Cowher's coaching career and Andy Reid's. Both are great coaches, who have had lots of success, but, as a coach, you have to win the big one to move into that next tier. At least, that seems to be the popular opinion.

I think it's fair to judge coaches on SBs won (players not so much, but that's a whole 'nother thread); still, sustained success is the indicator of a good coach - that means the HC kept winning as the roster turned over. But it all comes down to getting good players - anyone else think it's an accident the Steelers were VERY GOOD with Chuck O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart, but are verging on "great" with Roethlisberger?