[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Attention: Menudo

nuke'em ttg

What ya wanna bet he has to post in this thread again? :lol:

I'll take that bet......$100.......no, make it $1000...............wait :wacko::tup:

This reminds me of Dumb & Dumber:

Harry: I think you're wrong Lloyd.

Lloyd: How much you want to bet?

Harry: I don't bet.

Lloyd: What do you mean you don't bet?

Harry: I mean I don't bet.

Lloyd: my little buddy pusssy pussssy. Yeah, right. I bet you 20 bucks I can get you gambling before the end of the day.

Harry: No way.

Lloyd: I'll give you 3 to 1 odds.

Harry: No.

Lloyd: 5 to 1.

Harry: No.

Lloyd: 10 to 1.

Harry: You're on.

Lloyd: I'm gonna get ya. I don't know how, but I'm gonna get ya.

wow . he is well deserving but I assumed Betttis

Bettis would be 4th on my list of favorites.

2nd - Greg Lloyd

3rd - Hines Ward

The distance between those 4 would be tight. They are pretty much 1a, 1b, 1c & 1d :wacko:

I have vowed that when Bettis gets inducted, I will make my first trip to Canton. Hopefully, it is sooner rather than later. When do the announce who made it from this year's finalists ?

Bettis would be 4th on my list of favorites.

2nd - Greg Lloyd

3rd - Hines Ward

The distance between those 4 would be tight. They are pretty much 1a, 1b, 1c & 1d :wacko:

I have vowed that when Bettis gets inducted, I will make my first trip to Canton. Hopefully, it is sooner rather than later. When do the announce who made it from this year's finalists ?

Shamelfull that you ignored the Steelers of the 70's. IMO the best NFL team there ever was.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over for the remaining nine games. The Steelers recorded five shutouts, including three in a row, during this stretch. During this nine-game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns (in the same game) and five field goals. The defense allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had an average margin of victory of 22 points. Eight of the Steelers' starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl that year. Four would be selected to the Hall of Fame.[1]

As a Jets fan, my favorite is still Don Maynard, then Joe Klecko, the most deserving player of all time that will never get into the HoF.

Only Polamalu deserves to be mentioned with at least 10 players from the 70's Steelers. Bettis can't hold a candle next to Franco.

Shamelfull that you ignored the Steelers of the 70's. IMO the best NFL team there ever was.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over for the remaining nine games. The Steelers recorded five shutouts, including three in a row, during this stretch. During this nine-game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns (in the same game) and five field goals. The defense allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had an average margin of victory of 22 points. Eight of the Steelers' starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl that year. Four would be selected to the Hall of Fame.[1]

As a Jets fan, my favorite is still Don Maynard, then Joe Klecko, the most deserving player of all time that will never get into the HoF.

Only Polamalu deserves to be mentioned with at least 10 players from the 70's Steelers. Bettis can't hold a candle next to Franco.

I don't know if it is shameful that I was too young to remember those teams / players. I was 4 months old, 1 year old, 4 years old & 5 years old during the Steelers' championship years. I don't really remember them too well. Obviously, I've watched a lot of replays, heard a lot and read a lot, but, my favorites are from the era since I've been old enough to watch the Steelers.

Also, most All-Time Steelers rankings do have Franco ahead of Bettis, but, only slightly. I know numbers don't tell the whole story, and Franco was on 4 championship teams, but, their numbers are strikingly similar.

They both played 13 season:

Bettis: 13,662 yards, 91 TD's, 3.9 ypc, 71.2 ypg

Franco: 12,120 yards, 91 TD's, 4.1 ypc, 71.0 ypg

Franco

Edited by Menudo

LOL, I was just baitin ya Menudo. I have always been a Jets fan, but I loved watching those 70's Steelers. They remained one of my favorite franchises (after the Jets) right up until I came to the Huddle and met you. :wacko:

Knowing that you dislike them only makes the victory taste sweeter :tup:

I don't know if it is shameful that I was too young to remember those teams / players. I was 4 months old, 1 year old, 4 years old & 5 years old during the Steelers' championship years. I don't really remember them too well. Obviously, I've watched a lot of replays, heard a lot and read a lot, but, my favorites are from the era since I've been old enough to watch the Steelers.

Also, most All-Time Steelers rankings do have Franco ahead of Bettis, but, only slightly. I know numbers don't tell the whole story, and Franco was on 4 championship teams, but, their numbers are strikingly similar.

They both played 13 season:

Bettis: 13,662 yards, 91 TD's, 3.9 ypc, 71.2 ypg

Franco: 12,120 yards, 91 TD's, 4.1 ypc, 71.0 ypg

Franco

If you were old enough to remember them both it is not even close. Franco wins by a mile. I am old enough to remember well the teams of the 70's and the poster that said Troy is the only one that would even be mentioned with those guys is pretty spot on. If you saw Lambert and Ham play the game, that would be the end of any linebacker discussion. Now you bring in Mean Joe and nearly as mean Mel Blount. Dominant does not evn come close to describing those two players. None of the guys in the last two decades could even sniff playing time on those teams of the 70's. Even Hines Ward. Stats aside. He would not have played ahead of Swann or Stallworth.

If you were old enough to remember them both it is not even close. Franco wins by a mile. I am old enough to remember well the teams of the 70's and the poster that said Troy is the only one that would even be mentioned with those guys is pretty spot on. If you saw Lambert and Ham play the game, that would be the end of any linebacker discussion. Now you bring in Mean Joe and nearly as mean Mel Blount. Dominant does not evn come close to describing those two players. None of the guys in the last two decades could even sniff playing time on those teams of the 70's. Even Hines Ward. Stats aside. He would not have played ahead of Swann or Stallworth.

Something tells me Hines gets on the field because of his willingness to block as well as such a solid WR.

Hell Bettis maybe an OL on the 70s team. :wacko:

something I heard yesterday on local ESPN radio when Pat Sumerall was being interviewed.

Terry Bradshaw was going to be drafted by the NYG in the same round Pitt took him, and he would have been their TE, not QB. How history could look much different if the Giants drafted ahead of Pitt that season

Sumerall also said when he was checking out of a hotel he ran into Rooney. Sumerall said what are you going to do about the Pitt coaching situation, and rooney said, are you interested in the job. Sumerall said, no he just started his broadcasting career and was happy with his choice. 2 weeks later Chuck Knoll was hired.

I guess I may be alone on this, but Rocky Bleier is my favorite by a long shot. His story inspires and amazes me every time I think about it. He embodies the heart and soul of what I envision as somebody to be inspired by.

While Bleier was not the football player that many of those Steelers from the 70's were, he would also be my choice. In fact he is one of my favorite NFL players of all time. Incredible story, incredible man.