[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wilfork says 18 game season would be stupid

Patriots

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...&position=7

Hey Vince - Me paying for 2 meaningless pre-seasons games is stupid. Me sending your employer the money for those tickets 5 months in advance is stupid. Me fighting rush hour traffic, paying $40 to park, and then get to see the thrid stringers is stupid.

I honeslty do not care about your well being.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Vince - Me paying for 2 meaningless pre-seasons games is stupid. Me sending your employer the money for those tickets 5 months in advance is stupid. Me fighting rush hour traffic, paying $40 to park, and then get to see the thrid stringers is stupid.

I kinda doubt he likes that any more than you do.

So it makes more sense to increase the likelihood that we see second and third stringers in games that matter?

I feel the exact opposite. Nobody ever complains that the NFL season is too short, and all this does is water down the game even more to line more dough in their pockets. I agree, I do not give a crap about their well-being when they're already getting compensated what they are.

The issue is that preseason games are too expensive, costing roughly the same as a regular season game. The easy solution would be to lower ticket prices for meaningless preseason games, but of course they'd rather opt for more $$... It doesn't mean it's going to improve the game, and likely will do just the opposite.

So it makes more sense to increase the likelihood that we see second and third stringers in games that matter?

I feel the exact opposite. Nobody ever complains that the NFL season is too short, and all this does is water down the game even more to line more dough in their pockets. I agree, I do not give a crap about their well-being when they're already getting compensated what they are.

The issue is that preseason games are too expensive, costing roughly the same as a regular season game. The easy solution would be to lower ticket prices for meaningless preseason games, but of course they'd rather opt for more $$... It doesn't mean it's going to improve the game, and likely will do just the opposite.

Agree.

IMO, the owners don't really want an 18 game season, they are just using this as a bargaining chip. Players won't reduce their pay by 20%. Fine! Lets extend the regular season by 20% with no increase in pay.

Edited by NAUgrad

Agree.

IMO, the owners don't really want an 18 game season, they are just using this as a bargaining chip. Players won't reduce their pay by 20%. Fine! Lets extend the regular season by 20% with no increase in pay.

Disagree. An 18 game season will be THE sticky point to a successful CBA or not. The rookie salary cap is secondary. An 18 game regular season means one thing...re-negotiation of the television contract.

i have said it before and I will say it again...about 25% of the league plays 18 games every year...also, the average NFL career is like 3.6 years...adding 2 more games/year is like adding barely more than 7 games to an NFL players career.

Funny... I don't remember any playoff teams complaining about having to play that extra game or two. Also don't think you'll hear any of the Packers (most injured team this year in total IR games lost) players complaining about having to play in their 24th game this weekend.

FYI NAUgrad... The owners absolutely want 18 regular season games.

I was at a conference last week and had the chance to hear from and speak to a few people "in the know" on the labor issue. There will be a lot of public gnashing of teeth over the 18 game season, but it's pretty much a done deal at this point. The NFL could always phase it in over a couple years, but look for a 20 week NFL regular season coming soon.

Funny... I don't remember any playoff teams complaining about having to play that extra game or two. Also don't think you'll hear any of the Packers (most injured team this year in total IR games lost) players complaining about having to play in their 24th game this weekend.

I was at a conference last week and had the chance to hear from and speak to a few people "in the know" on the labor issue. There will be a lot of public gnashing of teeth over the 18 game season, but it's pretty much a done deal at this point. The NFL could always phase it in over a couple years, but look for a 20 week NFL regular season coming soon.

that was what I was getting at

Great info there WW. You need to chime in more often.

From 2004-2007 Vince Willfork played in 72 games (reg season and playoffs) or should I say an average of 18 and that was with him missing 3 regular season games in 2006.

For his career, 2004-present, Wilfork has played in a total of 119 games (106 regular season, 13 playoffs) for an average of 17 games/year...and over his career he has missed just 6 games.

I get what your saying. It's about money obviously and that's it. If the players currently get 60% of the pie, adding 20% more games with no more pay should sway that % back in favor of the owners. Correct? Which is what they want. I don't think, maybe I'm wrong, that this is as much about an 18 games season as it is about the owners getting a bigger chunk of the overall pie.

Of course no playoff teams are complaining, they are in the playoffs. That argument doesn't make any sense. They have to play extra games to win it. Do you think they would be complaining if they had to play 25 games to win it? Of course not. If I was a player, I'm not sure I'd want additional games added at no pay either. I'd rather stick with a 16 games season and take less pay.

If 25% of the league plays 18 games anyway, well, they are about to play 20 games and then apparently 22 games. That's a ton of additional games. Don't you think? I still think this is a movement by the owners to just own a bigger piece of the pie. If the players agreed to some sort of pay cut, then I think the 18 game season goes away. I don't know this for a fact, just my opinion.

The NFL currently has 20 games on their schedule (4 pre-season and 16 regular season). They are going to add two regular season games but remove two pre-season games. So they are technically not proposing to add any games to the overall schedule. And a 2 game addition to the regular season is just a 12.5% increase to the regular season schedule.

My point about the playoff games is indeed valid. The MAIN issue presented by the players and media in opposition to the added 2 regular season games is an increased risk of injury. But that doesn't seem to be an issue with the additional playoff games.

With the AFL-NFL merger of 1970, Professional Football was granted a Sherman Anti-Trust Act exemption, which emboldened some team owners to expand the exhibition schedule and to require season-ticket holders to pay for one, then two, then three home exhibition games if they wanted to keep their season tickets. The exhibition season then became, and remains, a large source of owner revenue that is not shared with the players. For several years through 1977, the NFL season consisted of 14 regular season games and six exhibition games, usually three at home and three away, with some played at neutral sites. Starting in 1978, the regular season was expanded to 16 games, and the exhibition season was cut from six to four games.

link

Back in the "Good old days" players got to play 6 exhibition preseason games. Players didn't just play a few series and sit out the rest of the game to let the backups play. Guys like JIM MARSHALL who played in 282 consecutive games had to also play 6 preseason games (that didn't count) in addition to the games that counted.

It is a given that owners will stick the knife into the players any chance they can. Players will not want the knife stuck into them.

In addition... watch for the union to get off-season activity (OTA's, contact in camps, etc.) reduced in response to the increased regular season. It's not only about the regular season. NFL player activity is pretty much a year round gig now, and the players would welcome some relief in that area.

...also, the average NFL career is like 3.6 years...adding 2 more games/year is like adding barely more than 7 games to an NFL players career.

That's not logical. Assuming injuries happen at the same rate, an NFL player's career will be exactly the same length in terms of games. It will therefore be shortened in terms of years.

You paying for NFL tickets is stupid. I've been to games before, I'd rather watch them on TV.

18 games is too much, the season would be like the NBA or MLB where the regular season games are meaningless.

This year the Pats clinched in week 13, I couldn't stand watching them another 5 weeks with nothing to play for. Or worst, having to watch the Lions go 0-18, instead of 0-16.

This is nothing compared to the rumor that the playoffs are going from 12 to 16 teams. That's right, no more first round byes for the top two teams in each conference. Now that is something for fans to get pissed off over.

At the end of the day the NFL isn't stupid. They know not to tinker too much with the game. I highly doubt we see this come to fruition.

Its going to happen. I see nothing wrong with it personally, considering many have been complaining about meaningless preseason games for years. Seriously, starters are playing in the 3rd preseason game, almost a full game, and half a game the 2nd game. There just wont be that BS 4th game that starters play no more than a series if they play at all.

That's not logical. Assuming injuries happen at the same rate, an NFL player's career will be exactly the same length in terms of games. It will therefore be shortened in terms of years.

yes you are basically correct...my main point was to show that it isn't like the majority of guys are playing a ton of extra games like they want the public etc to think...the other thing is that under your assumption you assume that they all crap out due to injuries and that isn't the case either...if they are playing in a season and playing well it could extend their careers...IE: guy gets brought in off the PS in week 12 and plays the final 4 games...then that summer he gets fat, happy and lazy or maybe they just got "old" ...he doesen't make the team...his average was 4 games....but if the season was 18 games and he gets called up in week 12 and plays well he plays for 6 games...then gets fat, happy and lazy and doesn't make the team the next year...so there are other scenarios, just sayin :wacko:

Yeah, some teams do play 18 now with playoffs, and I bet they are ready to rest when the season is done. Just adding more games is gonna dilute the product.

The only idea I heard I liked, was to make preseason 2 games, and go to a 17 week schedule and all teams play off schedule, like London won't mean a team loses a home game, Play in Orlando, San Antonio, LA etc.

Some players' careers end due to age and not injury, so they'll play more games than not. Every player who's career will end due to "losing a step" will likely appreciate the more games a few year after his career is over.

Those minor injuries take a toll, especially at RB, WR and CB. Big knee injuries = your career over i.e. Daunte Culpepper