[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think Goodell is trying to put Roth on tilt?

skylive5

Goodell says Steelers didn't come to Roethlisberger's defense

By Chris Chase

If Ben Roethlisberger(notes) wins the Super Bowl MVP next week, the trophy presentation with Roger Goodell might get pretty awkward.

In this week's edition of Monday Morning Quarterback, Peter King quotes Goodell as saying he "doesn't feel any connection" with the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback. He also mentions that none of Roethlisberger's teammates backed him up while the NFL commissioner was investigating the incident at the Georgia bar last March:

"I bet [i talked to] two dozen [steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.'"

What's the purpose of cutting down one of the marquee players in the Super Bowl a few days before the game? We get it, Roger; you don't like Roethlisberger. You think he was guilty of more than bad judgment that night and want us to know that by hanging his teammates out to dry. Why call attention to this now, of all times?

King doesn't put the quote into context, so we can't be too critical of Goodell. Perhaps the commissioner was recounting the Steelers' lack of support as an example in the spring of how much Roethlisberger has turned his life around since then. Even if that's the case, there are about a hundred ways Goodell could have said it better.

The "no connection" thing is baffling, context or not. I don't think David Stern and LeBron James are taking a steam together or that Bud Selig is nagging Derek Jeter about when they're finally going to go see "Black Swan." It's not important that the NFL commissioner have "a connection" with one of his players. It's business, not personal.

This is Super Bowl week, the seven days of the year where every story, no matter how trivial, gets magnified by a degree of 10. I mean, the date of a team photograph has been in the headlines for five five days! Now is the time Roger Goodell chooses to take a dig at Ben Roethlisberger, who happens to be one of the quarterbacks taking part in his league's showcase event

?

:wacko:

I wouldn't have defended him either. He was putting himself above the team, and was a jacka$$ who felt entitled. Word is that he has made some serious changes for the better, time will tell if that is true or not.

I wouldn't have defended him either. He was putting himself above the team, and was a jacka$$ who felt entitled. Word is that he has made some serious changes for the better, time will tell if that is true or not.

That isn't the point..... the timing is the point.

He's a rapist. Quite obviously one too if you ask me. If you read the report released online...i dunno how he's not in jail. Nobody's supporting him, and I'm glad to see even the commish trying to get in his head, if that's what he's trying to do anyway. He's the least deserving person to be in the Super Bowl

you mean, he hasn't raped anyone else? oh let's all throw roses at his feet!

:wacko:

I haven't defended him once and I'm still not defending him. I still don't like the guy.

Or waited until after the SB.

All I know ... is that all my money is now on GB instead of Pitt.

So, your money was on Pittsburgh, but, you think this story will effect the outcome of the game ? Or were you kidding ?

In my opinion, this will effect the game as much as the Packers team photo story, which is to say that it won't make a lick of difference.

My post isn't really about the useless Roth. I have no use for him that is for sure.

It is about the NFL Commissioner coming out with a statement that will most definitely have an adverse effect on one of the SB teams. Why would he choose this time... a week before his leagues biggest game.... to put those remarks in play?

Edited by skylive5

So, your money was on Pittsburgh, but, you think this story will effect the outcome of the game ? Or were you kidding ?

In my opinion, this will effect the game as much as the Packers team photo story, which is to say that it won't make a lick of difference.

I think it will make a difference. Roth now knows that his teammates do not have his back.... where before he might have wondered.

The photo story was just a story.... injured players aren't even considered part of the team by those still playing. Everyone knows that and it has always been that way. There have even been books written about how injured players are treated and feel. That is nothing compared to your Commish throwing you and your team under the bus just before your biggest game of the year.

I think it will make a difference. Roth now knows that his teammates do not have his back.... where before he might have wondered.

The photo story was just a story.... injured players aren't even considered part of the team by those still playing. Everyone knows that and it has always been that way. There have even been books written about how injured players are treated and feel. That is nothing compared to your Commish throwing you and your team under the bus just before your biggest game of the year.

Well, I disagree and think this will have zero impact on the outcome of the game. However, I'm obviously biased, so, I'll let others decide what kind of effect it may have. I personally think all of this stuff brought out in the media, usually has very little to do with the outcome on the field. I'm sure that Roethlisberger already knew that his teammates weren't happy with him or defending him. In fact, in the Pittsburgh papers, there were guys who called him out in public forums, including team leaders like Ward & Farrior. Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

He's a rapist.

Based on this logic, everyone at the Huddle is a rapist.

If the police/prosecutors do not have enough evidence to bring an alleged crime to trial, then the accused is innocent.

Was there ever a time in this country where a person was presumed innocent until proven guilty? because it is certainly not the case today.

:wacko: go broncos !!!!!

if he's welcomed back next year with open arms, you'll have a point. or if I personally had had anything good to say about the broncos in the last 2 years. or if I'd gone on and on making a disingenuous show (for a few weeks, at least) of how I just can't cheer for perrish cox and I really wish my team would get rid of him.

have fun cheering for your rapist dirtbag franchise QB!