[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S. seizes 10 sports streaming websites

damageinc

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Ten websites that were allegedly engaged in the live streaming of major sporting events have been seized and shut down by authorities, the government said Wednesday.

The 10 sites were among the most popular on the Internet for users hoping to access copyrighted sporting events, the U.S. Attorney's Office said

According to the government's complaint, which was unsealed Wednesday, each of the seized sites aggregated illegal, pirated broadcasts, and provided links to site visitors.

Some of the world's biggest sports leagues were allegedly victimized, including the National Football League, National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, World Wrestling Entertainment and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said the seizure, carried out just days before the Super Bowl, reaffirms the government's commitment to protecting copyright material.

"The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters who are forced to pass their losses off to fans by raising prices for tickets and pay-per-view events," Bharara said.

The sites were disabled Tuesday, and have since been replaced by a posting notifying visitors that "This domain has been seized by ICE - Homeland Security Investigations."

The seizure were carried out by the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

ICE is the principal investigative arm of the larger Department of Homeland Security, and runs the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center, which coordinates government efforts to combat intellectual property theft.

Atdhe.net, channelsurfing.net, hq-streams.com, hqstreams.net, firstrow.net, ilemi.com, iilemi.com, iilemii.com, rojadirecta.org and rojadirecta.com are the names of the seized sites

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Better not go after my boy Justin! Seriously, I have watched probably 300 sporting events on atdhe while working on the weekends. All the boxing, football, college basketball. I had a feeling this was coming eventually but I'm gonna have to buy a slingbox.

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Better not go after my boy Justin! Seriously, I have watched probably 300 sporting events on atdhe while working on the weekends. All the boxing, football, college basketball. I had a feeling this was coming eventually but I'm gonna have to buy a slingbox.

+1

I'm not sure of the technical reason Justin.tv has survived this long, but POWER to the PEOPLE!!

"The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters who are forced to pass their losses off to fans by raising prices for tickets and pay-per-view events," Bharara said.

The sites were disabled Tuesday

So that means prices for tickets and pay-per-view events will go back down, right? :wacko:

..|.. these guys. They should have about 800 better ways to spend their time/our taxpayer $. eg how about the Immigration and Customs Enforcement people go do some "enforcement" down around our Southern borders?

I am a good example of the stupidity of the government's effforts. I'm not all that computer savvy, and I never knew that I could potentially get all those games for free rather than paying for Sunday Ticket or going to a sports bar. Thanks to them, now I know. And knowing is half the battle.