[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LA Chargers ?

Living the Dream

Isnt SD one of the most expensive places in the country to live, outside maybe NY. How has the city not taken care of this already. A small tax increase over 20 years would probably pay for most of it. A new stadium would obviously bring more Superbowls to the area, as well as more revenue to business around the new stadium, much like it has in Arlington Texas from the Cowboys. Where the Cowboys used to play, it was a run down part of Irving Texas, with very few quality restaurants and bars near by. And 35 minutes from downtown so it had nothing to do with the city of Dallas.

I too think Jacksonville would be the most appropriate team to move. There is lil history there, the city isnt really big enough to support the team with so many other options for entertainment dollars in Florida. Green Bay is so successful selling out in a city just over 100K people because there is little other to do there for those dollars. Plus so many are willing to travel long distances to go to games. And you also have a rich history of that franchise. Seems Jacksonville has none of that, and they dont put out a winning product on the field either. Maybe LA could make them more relevant.

Wonder what the team name would be if the Jags moved to LA..

The LA Drama Queens with MJD running his mouth so much about other players. :wacko:

Edited by Living the Dream

I really doubt it. The team that ends up moving won't be a traditional team that has years in their current city.

I could see the Rams going back...but the obvious and most likely one is Jacksonville.

They've had so many blackouts, are one of the youngest teams in the league, and there are two other teams in Florida. Trust me, I love there, and no one would miss them : )

If you live in SD, and are a Chargers fan, would you atill be a fan of the LA team? They're only 90 minutes or so away.

2 1/2hrs with no traffic. And yes I would, unlike when the Rams were hijacked to St.Louis. That broke my heart.

I have actually let my knowledge of the current status of a new stadium slip as the talks have been stale for so long. I think McBoog or Chargerz would be more up to date than I. At least until I get caught up.

The new proposal is a downtown stadium next to the Padres. I'm still adamant that the Chargers will stay in SD. However, after 8 years of failed proposals, I'm starting to lose faith in the SD city counsel getting something done.

This is a different tune...

Anyway-

The new stadium deal is really reliant on redevelopment monies from California and the new Governor is trying to stop all those funds. If he succeeds, the stadium deal is dead.

The new stadium deal is really reliant on redevelopment monies from California and the new Governor is trying to stop all those funds. If he succeeds, the stadium deal is dead.

This.

I really doubt it. The team that ends up moving won't be a traditional team that has years in their current city.

I could see the Rams going back...but the obvious and most likely one is Jacksonville.

They've had so many blackouts, are one of the youngest teams in the league, and there are two other teams in Florida. Trust me, I love there, and no one would miss them : )

no.

This this.

Governor Moonbeam also will sick his environnazis on the project to kill it as well. As it stands, the soil is supposedly "contaminated" and must be rehabilitated before the state will allow development. If they play this card, it will take years before they could start construction, further driving up the cost.

It would be a great thing for the downtown area, though I am not sure how they handle getting the traffic in and out. Football games are different from baseball in this respect.

I see the Chargers gone at some point in the next few years. If not LA, then San Antonio is still simmering in the background. They showed after Katrina that they could support an NFL team in that city.

Texas=Football. Hell, they could probably fill a stadium in this state if they mover to Brownsville.

The Vikings are NOT going anywhere

Well, we will find out this Summer for sure. It is do or die for the MN legislature to decide whether to help build a new stadium or not. I can really see this going either way at this point.

It didn’t snow in San Diego. Nor did ice fall from the Qualcomm Stadium roof, as it did Friday at Cowboys Stadium, injuring several workers.Super Bowls should be held in destination cities. Dallas isn’t one. Roger Goodell has to know that. Being an employee, he just can’t say it. New stadiums be damned. :wacko:

Interesting article on the topic. LA has its issues as well. "It’s good to see Goodell was not overly moved by the typical Hollywood glitz that offered far more promise than substance."

Does not only apply to the Chargers, but is a League wide concern as stated in the article. Interesting to see the commissioner sight the Chargers situation specifically and apply it to the whole league.

Well, we will find out this Summer for sure. It is do or die for the MN legislature to decide whether to help build a new stadium or not. I can really see this going either way at this point.

With our history of losing pro sports teams (North Stars, Lakers) and losing them but for the narrowest of divine interventions (T-Wolves, Twins), plus the third worst budget status by population in the US, plus the never ending drone of the anti-tax people who think paying an extra cent on a $200 purchase is the end of the world, plus the natural tightfistedness of the inhabitants, I'd say a Vikings stadium is unlikely.

Then again, we thought that about the Twins and all it took was some farsighted people in the right place.

With our history of losing pro sports teams (North Stars, Lakers) and losing them but for the narrowest of divine interventions (T-Wolves, Twins), plus the third worst budget status by population in the US, plus the never ending drone of the anti-tax people who think paying an extra cent on a $200 purchase is the end of the world, plus the natural tightfistedness of the inhabitants, I'd say a Vikings stadium is unlikely.

Then again, we thought that about the Twins and all it took was some farsighted people in the right place.

I think Governor Dayton is ready to do it, but the new majority Republican Congress in MN has said that they are not inclined to issue any "corporate welfare" as they see it. Although they just approved a new St. Paul Saints stadium and renovations to the Target Center... so that's most likely just brave talk (hot air). Still, if it happens, there will have to be some kind of creative financing employed. I don't know why everyone seems to dismiss gambling as a means to raise money for a new stadium, but I think that's already off the table. Stupid.

The games were blacked out this past season because they weren't selling out the games. How can the Chargers fan base disagree with the team moving?

I can only remember two that were blacked out this year after five or six years of sell-outs. None of the divisional games were blacked out.

Part of the problem in selling out the games is that there are several thousand field level seats at Qualcomm Stadium that are either totally or partially obstructed due to the poor design of the stadium. They are always the last seats to be sold. I'm sure that can be said about other stadiums too, but at our old decrepit stadium it's especially difficult to sell those seats.

Another problem here is the San Diego press has become exceptionally doom and gloom about the Bolts staying. Alot of people have been turned off by the constant rumors of the Chargers leaving San Diego and haven't been buying tickets.