[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cam Newton media workout today

tazinib1

I don't think anyone is saying that. Mayock was basically saying that Russell had the best pro day he's ever seen and he was a complete bust so before anyone watches a MEDIA workout and proclaims he'll be phenomenal, they just need to keep some things in check. Could Newton be a future star and pro bowler? Of course. Could he be all hype and never make the transition? Of course.

+1 well said

so the better his workout, the closer he is to jamarcus russell. that is brilliant logic. :tup:
while that vague description fits reggie bush, it also fits any number of perennial pro-bowlers, hall of famers, etc.

you guys are killing me with this "the better he looks in workouts, the more he will suck in the NFL" crap. so you're wary of the guy, that's fine, you probably have good enough reasons to be. but trying so hard to turn any positive into a negative makes it look like you have an axe to grind and objectivity is out the window.

:wacko: Calm down Az, no one is saying "The better the workout, the bigger the bust."

All Mike Mayock (the godfather of NFL prospect scouting) is saying is let's not all get big Dilfers over this kids' media day workout. He then reminds us the last time we all got super hyped for the "best workout ever," it was Jamarcus Russell.

My issue with Cam, aside from being an SEC quarterback, which I am always skeptical of - is his character. His father has convinced him the two of them can do whatever they want because he's earned it.

Sell your services to the highest bidding college team? Sure, they want you son, why shouldn't they pay you for it? Auburn has told me I shouldn't come to your National Championship game, but don't worry son - I'll be there anyways, there will be no consequences. You can find me in the endzone, come give me a big hug after the game and make a media spectacle of it - they can't do anything to stop it. Son, I'm going to call all the media to have them come look at that arm of yours. No, don't worry about the combine.

Not only do I not see that stopping once he gets into the NFL, I see it becoming detrimental to a seemingly talented kids' career and life.

I don't follow college ball, so I don't know much about this newton kid, but when I hear certain people who should have a pretty good idea about what he might be able to do, then you have some 'person' saying he needs more work than jesusTebow, it makes me LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Your actions show otherwise.

Are those the same experts who thought Jamarcus Russel was the best football player in his draft class, who debated between whether P Manning or Leaf was the better QB, and said Mandarich would be a pro bowler at OT for a decade or more?

while that vague description fits reggie bush, it also fits any number of perennial pro-bowlers, hall of famers, etc.

you guys are killing me with this "the better he looks in workouts, the more he will suck in the NFL" crap. so you're wary of the guy, that's fine, you probably have good enough reasons to be. but trying so hard to turn any positive into a negative makes it look like you have an axe to grind and objectivity is out the window.

Well I'm smart enough to know that if a player has a media day staged for him that it will be designed to enhance all his strengths while cloaking all his weaknesses. Newton's head and character at the least are still wide open to question as are some physical traits. Only time will tell iif he is a stud but right now I need a little more than a staged sdeshow to convince me.

Are those the same experts who thought Jamarcus Russel was the best football player in his draft class, who debated between whether P Manning or Leaf was the better QB, and said Mandarich would be a pro bowler at OT for a decade or more?

I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying. The thing I take exception to is when armchair GM's start saying things like:

He didn't have balance and was throwing off his heel. Needs ALOT of work and I would say more so than Tebow at this point.

Cam Newton is a first round prospect, early mid or first, he is a first Round prospect.

Tebow wasn't invited to the draft for a reason, he was pegged middle 2 or early 3 if my memory serves me correctly. Everyone felt it was a reach to jump back into the first round and take him.

I've heard others mention this too. What exactly are Mallett's off-field issues?

I never said anything about off-field issues with Mallett. His issues are actually on the field, which IMO makes them worse. His body language and attitude towards his teammates drove me crazy when I was trying to decide whether or not I'd want him to be the QB of the Seahawks. Leaders don't whine and pout when a WR drops a ball or tear their lineman up ON THE FIELD when they miss a block. The other stories I've heard are that his teammates can't stand him, mostly from John Clayton's reporting. More than anything though, for me, it was the body language. He was so disappointed with his teammates that he let it effect him to the point where he checked out of a couple games. True leaders and competitors are going to make the next play no matter what happened on the last one. He was more consumed with whining than winning. I just don't think grown men will follow that guy.

Edited by Seahawks21

That is just a bit different from a guy that has accomplished nothing verbally undressing a guy in the middle of the field for all to see. Just a bit. I knew the Manning argument was coming from some smart guy.

There is just a bit of a difference between a competitor and a whiner. Just a bit.

Postseason: 9-10 :wacko:

I thought you were a Jags fan, which would be an embarrassing comparison, but since your profile says Giants:

:tup: 9-10. Which is only 11 games short of how many playoff appearances your NY Giants have had since 1925, AND an almost equal win percentage as well by the way (.45).

Peyton Manning has an equal or better playoff record than 15 NFL franchises' all-time post season record. (Giants, Jags, Rams, Oilers, Seahawks, Saints, Lions, Vikings, Bucs, Chargers, Chiefs, Bengals, Falcons, Browns, Texans)

Mallett yelling at his teammates in the huddle (similar to Clausen blaming his WRs publicly) isn't really the same is Peyton yelling at Donald mid-play about missing his blocking assignment, regardless of records or greatness.

Mallett yelling at his teammates in the huddle (similar to Clausen blaming his WRs publicly) isn't really the same is Peyton yelling at Donald mid-play about missing his blocking assignment, regardless of records or greatness.

I like the part where peyton falls to the ground like a sack of potatoes before any and all contact, sometimes even when no contact is imminent. He wishes he was as tough as his brother, the best QB in the nfl!

I like the part where peyton falls to the ground like a sack of potatoes before any and all contact, sometimes even when no contact is imminent. He wishes he was as tough as his brother, the best QB in the nfl!

Jealousy is tough to deal with. I'm sorry you have to take it out on everyone here.

My issue with Cam, aside from being an SEC quarterback, which I am always skeptical of - is his character. His father has convinced him the two of them can do whatever they want because he's earned it.

Sell your services to the highest bidding college team? Sure, they want you son, why shouldn't they pay you for it?

Auburn has told me I shouldn't come to your National Championship game, but don't worry son - I'll be there anyways, there will be no consequences. You can find me in the endzone, come give me a big hug after the game and make a media spectacle of it - they can't do anything to stop it. Son, I'm going to call all the media to have them come look at that arm of yours. No, don't worry about the combine.

Not only do I not see that stopping once he gets into the NFL, I see it becoming detrimental to a seemingly talented kids' career and life.

1. You're assuming Cam knew what was going on with money exchanging for his services.

2. Aurburn has the right to tell him not to show up, but that is his son, and already missed the Heisman Trophy presentation. I have no problem with is dad being there.

3. Time will tell, but I think that Arizona/Buffalo/wherever will have a greater control over Newton than Aurburn.

1) I doubt Cam was clueless as to the discussion his father was having.

2) I'm pretty sure it goes on all the time and I stopped believing big-time football players were saints long ago.

3) I'm certain that Cam's dad wont be able to be as big a pain in the ass to whatever pro team he ends up at as he was to Auburn.

Why? Because this is the big-time and guys are paying real money. Where back-up centers make more than the kind of money that will land a program on suspension. College programs have to genuflect before the families of recruits and, since likely all of them are skirting the rules, have to handle situations like this with kid gloves. The pros? It's all out there in the open. The rules are way to easy to follow for these guys to get into compromising situations. "Sure, we paid him. Yep, we flew him here on our private jet, bought him dinner, flew him to Nevada and bought him a whore. Anyone got any problems with that? Oh, and daddy? If you don't chill the hell out, we will blackball your kid and he'll be out of the league in no time. So go watch the game at home like everyone else." You don't think all of these guys don't have enough muscle to shut Cecil up?

Like others have said, probably 90% of guys who made the pros have some a-hole dad who was nearly on par with Cecil. We just know about this one.

Oh, and I think Newton has "it". In the right program, I think he can be great.

Here is a nice little nugget that totally slaps in the face what I saw during film and that glorified media session:

Finally, let's finish up with this -- As I'm writing this (Thursday night), there are 188 comments on my Cam Newton story that went up mid-day Wednesday. Fact is, the Heisman Trophy winner is moving the needle in a very serious way, and I'd expect that to continue. Part of it? All the intrigue over Tim Tebow last year kind of spills over. And the scout I've talked to telsl me that Newton is clearly the better prospect of the two former Florida teammates. That's in almost every category, except one: Leadership. Newton had a strong hold over his Auburn teammates, but Tebow was almost unmatched in the category. "That was a hard locker room at Florida," said the NFC personnel exec I quoted in the story. "There are a lot of personalities, some lazy guys, and Tim got them to play with passion. ... Tim had 'it', no question. I think Cam does too, but we still have to find out." And if you think the "it" doesn't matter, you can reference how Tebow rallied Denver in some meaningless games as a rookie. It's significant. --Albert Breer NFL.com

Obviously I was looking at the wrong pair of feet when I made my Tebow reference :wacko: Unless he has dramatically improved his drop and foot plant, I'm not really sure what this "scout" was watching. Then again, maybe I'm looking at the wrong things all together.

See RRJ? I gave you your ammo this time.

Doesn't it suck when nobody answers your question, like you better start a Ryan Mallett thread just to get a response?

From what I understand, Mallett is Dumb.

From PFT:

When it comes to former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, reports have emerged of late regarding the issue of drug use. No one has reported that Mallet uses or has used drugs. But they’re coming dangerously close to doing so.

On Sunday, Rob Rang of CBSSports.com reported that Mallett will be asked at the Scouting Combine about “so-called lack of leadership and reports of illegal drug use.”

Now, former Rams and Panthers exec Tony Softli, who now works for 101espn.com in St. Louis, has echoed Rang’s report.

“Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept [Mallett] from coming out for the 2010 draft,” Softli writes.

Again, no one is saying that Mallett has used drugs. But it’s safe to say that he’ll be grilled about it at the Scouting Combine, and that teams will try hard in their allotted 15 minutes to get past the scripted and rehearsed responses he’ll be ready to recite with name, rank, and serial number consistency.

Would I be wrong to be optimistic if Mallett goes to the Seahawks at 25? He's just the kind of statue that Pete Carroll had so much success with at USC. Still, I'd be a little shocked if he falls out of the top 16 or so. He's a big kid, cannon arm, and also happens to be the best pure passer in the draft. He'll "wow" people at the combine. All he has to do is "wow" one GM. I've ragged on the kid most of the season based on his body language on the field, and wouldn't take him in the top 12, but he's talented enough to take a gamble on any later than that.

No way Carrol drafts Mallett. Huge mistake if he does. There isn't a QB in this draft that warrants a #25 pick (maybe Cam). Besides, Mallett is a horrible decision maker and is terrible when he gets pressure from the front 7. To make matters worse he's got slow feet and horrifically inaccurate on the run. Add this to his questionable character and his propensity to alienate his receivers when they make mistakes, this is a menu for disaster.

Edited by theprofessor

I'm not so worried about the off-field stuff. His parents took money and he has a jerk for a dad. I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of NFL players in the exact same boat that didn't get caught. If Cam seemed like an a-hole about the whole thing, I might feel differently. I'd be much more concerned over the issues of a guy like Mallett.

Taz, some guys really excel in that environment, to the point where there literally aren't any incomplete passes. Still, there have been guys over the years that have had less than stellar pro days, Dan LeFevour most recently, who saw his rising star fall quickly. Wait for one Jake Locker, for example. If guys can't throw, they can't throw, no matter how much you try to help them look good.

Dilfer is usually pretty tough on guys. He does tend to swing and miss quite a bit, but I do typically respect his analysis.

Seems like a perfect fit for the raiders and al davis..... :wacko: