[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First offseason injury

PaulOttCarruth

Per Rotoworld:

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver reports Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas suffered a torn Achilles' tendon while working out in Georgia.

Lombardi spoke with one of Thomas' teammates who confirmed the report. It's not yet known whether the Achilles is partially or fully torn. Either way, his status for the start of the season is now in doubt. While Thomas is a monster talent, he's been beset by foot and ankle injuries ever since he broke a bone while training last February. It may be too early to write Thomas off as an injury-prone bust, but the history on skill position players returning from Achilles tears is bleak at best. Thomas is set up for a second straight lost season. Brandon Lloyd is locked in as the No. 1 receiver for 2011, and Jabar Gaffney is now more likely to stick around.

Per Rotoworld:

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver reports Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas suffered a torn Achilles' tendon while working out in Georgia.

Lombardi spoke with one of Thomas' teammates who confirmed the report. It's not yet known whether the Achilles is partially or fully torn. Either way, his status for the start of the season is now in doubt. While Thomas is a monster talent, he's been beset by foot and ankle injuries ever since he broke a bone while training last February. It may be too early to write Thomas off as an injury-prone bust, but the history on skill position players returning from Achilles tears is bleak at best. Thomas is set up for a second straight lost season. Brandon Lloyd is locked in as the No. 1 receiver for 2011, and Jabar Gaffney is now more likely to stick around.

WOW

I was so high on him

D Thomas was traded in AOTAOP also.

Whomper can confirm that in negotiations I was staunch in that I liked his upside but had reservations about him...good thing I was planning on leaving him on DTS this year and have the depth at WR (Nicks, Calvin Johnson, Santonio, Steve Johnson, Mark Clayton, ESanders) to not really worry about it

Whomper can confirm that in negotiations I was staunch in that I liked his upside but had reservations about him...good thing I was planning on leaving him on DTS this year and have the depth at WR (Nicks, Calvin Johnson, Santonio, Steve Johnson, Mark Clayton, ESanders) to not really worry about it

I got nailed with a 4yr contract. Was I counting on him this year? yes and no but now I'm stuck with a 4yr contract and a WR short. Cmon man what the hell is he doing WORKING OUT IN FEB!! Does he think he's Jerry freaken Rice????? yeah...good luck with that Mr.Kankle.

thats chitty

:wacko:

All's fair in love and war. I for one, check every player before accepting a trade. Are you saying I'm being dirty?

ETA: On second thought, you're right. Pretty low. I just rescinded all my offers. :sigh:

Edited by tazinib1

:wacko:

Whomper sends:

Jonathan Stewart 3yrs

Ray Edwards 1yr

Demaryius Thomas DTS

$23

4.15 (Frazia's 4th rounder)

Keg sends:

Julius Peppers 2yrs

Xavier Adibi Open Contract

This is the most lopsided trade I think I have ever seen, and Ive been involved in my share of these.

When I rate a trade, I rate the pieces, usually on potential. Sometimes the one who gives up the best piece gets the next few best pieces, but that clearly didnt happen here.

1. Jonathon Stewart

2. D Thomas

3 - a. J Peppers

3 - b. $23

4. Ray Edwards

5. 4.15

Thomas has the potential to be a #1 WR in Denver. That potential was just thrown into this deal

DeAngelo Williams is probably on the move this offseason, or J Stewart will be next offseason. So Stewart could be a monster very soon.

Many are forgetting how good Ray edwards was in 2009, well not Keg, he knows, as he got him thrown into this deal

Peppers scored 176 this yr and 173 last yr. Edwards scored 153 last year, though had a very down year this year. He could certainly get back to that level.

This is the most lopsided trade I think I have ever seen, and Ive been involved in my share of these.

When I rate a trade, I rate the pieces, usually on potential. Sometimes the one who gives up the best piece gets the next few best pieces, but that clearly didnt happen here.

1. Jonathon Stewart

2. D Thomas

3 - a. J Peppers

3 - b. $23

4. Ray Edwards

5. 4.15

Thomas has the potential to be a #1 WR in Denver. That potential was just thrown into this deal

DeAngelo Williams is probably on the move this offseason, or J Stewart will be next offseason. So Stewart could be a monster very soon.

Many are forgetting how good Ray edwards was in 2009, well not Keg, he knows, as he got him thrown into this deal

Peppers scored 176 this yr and 173 last yr. Edwards scored 153 last year, though had a very down year this year. He could certainly get back to that level.

Id be curious how you sold this deal to whomper. I cant imagine the starting point, if this is what you ended up with.

I honestly can't remember but I think that Whomper asked me about Peppers and I basically said he wouldn't be cheap...

HE came to me with a deal, I countered and I think that was it...but my memory isn't always the best...Whomp can chime in if need be.

I didn't post that to hijack the thread but will answer the question since it might add to some future FF thougths for others...

Couple of things about the league 1st:

1. We split out the DT and DE position and you MUST start 2 DEs (My 3 rostered 3DEs prior to this trade were Jared Allen, Peppers and Greg Hardy)

2. We get $100/year (that is to put the $23 into a bit better perspective) vs the $50 that many dynasty leagues at the huddle get.

3. It is a 16 team league

4. We start a combo of 5 RB/WR (can start as few as 0 RBs, and actually if you start 2 TEs then you only need to start a combo of 4 RB/WRs)

So as I see it I have a relative advantatge at DE just about each and every week by being able to run out Allen/Peppers...but I have 3 key RFAs and my cash was a bit lower than I would have liked so I put out a list of guys on my team I would be willing to entertain offers for. Whomper, I believe approached me about Peppers 1st and initially a deal wasn't getting done. Then I don't know, 2 weeks or so later he sent another offer. It was good offer and I am sure many would jump at it but it didn't floor me...or should I say I didn't see how it made my STARTING lineup better.

At RB and WR I had what I considered very good options, especially considering the starting requirements and the fact that it is a 16 team league: Best, Benson, Torain, Starks, Calvin Johnson, Nicks, Santonio Holmes, Steve Johnson, Mark Clayton, Emanuel (sp?) Sanders (fwiw at TE: ZMiller (oak),Fred Miller & Jared Cook)...

The reason that is all important is because it really takes away from my need to acquire Jonathan Stewart...I know and think that Stewart could end up being a horse but that doesn't take away from concerns about him for THIS coming year...I wouldn't be surpirsed in the least if Stewart sits more for me than he plays this year...but that doesn't mean that the potential to trade him or wait a year for him isn't there either but there is risk involved for sure....especially with the QB situation and overall team situation in Carolina...add to it that my team isn't rebuilding and you can see why I would be a bit more aprehensive (i guess that is the best way to describe it) about doing a deal for a guy like Stewart and losing a starter like Peppers...IF my memory serves me correctly I don't think that Ray Edwards was included in the deal initially but I told whomper I needed a DE back in the deal but that I also wasn't 100% sold on it being Edwards since I already owned Allen...I do think that Edwards can bounce back this year but honestly I am probably going to flip him since I don't want to be relying on 2 starting DEs from the same team....and to top it off Edwards does only have a 1yr deal...so was the juice on my side of the deal? Absolutely, but I was in a position to make that happen but to be honest I was still never 100% happy with the deal (even if DT didn't get hurt). That isn't saying I didn't get enough but just saying that I need to now work the pieces again to hopefully be able to strengthen my 2nd DE position as well as other parts of my team.

not sure if I rambled on to much or made any sense but I am off to some meetings and won't get much of a chance if at all to get back to this thread til much later today or tonight.

fwiw:

Jared Allen #2 DE this year 194 pts (12.131/game)

Peppers #7 DE this year 177 pts (11.046/game)

Edwards #31 DE this year 107.5 (7.679/game) but you said 153 points last year (9.594/game)

Stewart 6.86/game in 2010, 12.377 in 2009 but who knows how the possible loss of DeWill and the state of Car. will impact him this year and going forward...Peppers was safe...maybe not sexy but safe, especially for a contending team.

Edited by keggerz

1. Jonathon Stewart

2. D Thomas

3 - a. J Peppers

3 - b. $23

4. Ray Edwards

5. 4.15

Keg already received rousing pats on the back in our league forum for this trade. The sole purpose of including it on the main boards, in this thread, in its entirety was to get a few extra tugs on his meat whistle. If I want a player I always give more than I get to acquire him. Most of my trades give people a good laugh yet i quietly assemble the team I want and it usually serves me well.

Keg already received rousing pats on the back in our league forum for this trade. The sole purpose of including it on the main boards, in this thread, in its entirety was to get a few extra tugs on his meat whistle. If I want a player I always give more than I get to acquire him. Most of my trades give people a good laugh yet i quietly assemble the team I want and it usually serves me well.

:wacko: Thank you for that. Makes my drive to LA chippier.

Whomp also has done a very very good job assembling his AOTAOP team. Without any other context any joker can chime in on a "lopsides trade" but with no other rosters being posted no one really knows the value outside of the league members.

I find commenting on trades made by others in leagues (or posting trade offers for that matter) is very silly unless they are soliciting advice on a potential trade.

Whomper has traded roughly 152 times in AOTAOP and is the defending champ, so I sure as hell am not going to question any trades he does until I finish ahead of him. (why oh why did I take over ths rebuild of a team again? :wacko:)