[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lockout

Cunning Runt

I listen to Sirius NFL radio almost all day and read all sorts of different articles, etc, tweets, etc...... so I feel like I'm well-educated on the issues involved.

And after all my analysis, I really do hope that ownership crushes the union in these negotiations.

Not looking to debate 'cause you aren't gonna change my mind.

Just wanted to put it out there.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying it's been Goodell and lawyers representing the owners side and neither Kraft or Jerry or Al are even there?

Goodell, NFL General Council Jeff Pash and outside counsel Bob Batterman for the NFL to be exact. And yes..that is what I am saying.

I listen to Sirius NFL radio almost all day and read all sorts of different articles, etc, tweets, etc...... so I feel like I'm well-educated on the issues involved.

And after all my analysis, I really do hope that ownership crushes the union in these negotiations.

Would you mind humoring us and elaborating? I'm rather uneducated on the subject and would love to hear an argument for the owners. Thanks.

Well, I know everyone was waiting to hear your vote but do you want to include any reasons in your analysis? I'm not really saying one is right and the other is wrong, but the owners opted out, so the players weren't really the ones that were complaining about current deal. So what brings you to the conclusion that the players deserve to be "crushed" and the owners should be able to do said crushing?

Why not lay out some reasons why you think this way? I'd be very interested in hearing your arguments.

The players want the status quo 'cause they know the deal they got in 2006 was skewed to their advantage.

I'm frankly tired of hearing how players health care needs to be taken care of. I'm tired of hearing how they've got to go on Cobra if they're locked out. I'm tired of hearing how 2 more games would be a tragedy. Who's to say ownership couldn't play their starters full time in two of the preseason games? It'd be no different. I'm tired of rookies making so damn much money who haven't played a down.

Players are employees. Nothing more. And very well-paid ones at that. Just 'cause they're too stupid to look out for their own futures doesn't make the league responsible for them. If they're concerned about future health concerns, don't play. They have a choice.

Just not a fan in any way, shape, or form of the players' position on basically any of the issues.

Goodell, NFL General Council Jeff Pash and outside counsel Bob Batterman for the NFL to be exact. And yes..that is what I am saying.

Goodell has enough of the owners on his side that if he recommends a deal they'll approve it. Better to have Goodell there than, say, Jerry Richardson.

2V

Players are employees. Nothing more.

Name me another field on the planet where their employees have to go through a combine, get poked, prodded, stared at naked, drafted, and then within three years can never work in the field again for the rest of their lives, and I'll think about agreeing that players are employees and nothing more. I don't know about you, but when I watch Peyton Manning, the first thing I think is, "man, that guy's teammates should be making less money and the owner of his business should be making much more."

Edited by Seahawks21

Name me another field on the planet where their employees have to go through a combine, get poked, prodded, stared at naked, drafted, and then within three years can never work in the field again for the rest of their lives,

That was part of the employmnet contract to work at fanball.

Why do you think 2v came here? :wacko: He had a problem with the "can never work in the field again" part.

An interesting fact about these recent "negotiations" if you will. Not 1 owner....not 1..has attended ANY of the 7 day meetings. What does that tell you.

Because things went so great with Jerry Richardson and Manning showing up? Goodell is representing the owners. And this is mediation. It's not going to be finished by March 3rd, but I bet something is settled right before the draft.

Are you saying it's been Goodell and lawyers representing the owners side and neither Kraft or Jerry or Al are even there?

Kraft and Jerry are imo are the reason we have a lockout. They don't want their money going into revenue sharing and helping out small market teams. It's easier to take money off of the NFLPA to shut them up.

And I do believe that the owners gave in to the NFLPA on that CBA so we could have football. It's time for the NFLPA to give a little as well.

I'm tired of hearing how they've got to go on Cobra if they're locked out. I'm tired of hearing how 2 more games would be a tragedy. I'm tired of rookies making so damn much money who haven't played a down.

Just 'cause they're too stupid to look out for their own futures doesn't make the league responsible for them. If they're concerned about future health concerns, don't play. They have a choice.

I don't know enough about this whole situation to take a side, but I don't know how anyone could argue against these points :wacko:

I'm frankly tired of hearing how players health care needs to be taken care of.

Just 'cause they're too stupid to look out for their own futures doesn't make the league responsible for them. If they're concerned about future health concerns, don't play.

...or get their own health care and don't buy $50k cars etc. No argument there.

Name me another field on the planet where their employees have to go through a combine, get poked, prodded, stared at naked, drafted, and then within three years can never work in the field again for the rest of their lives,

aw.

Name me one where it's common for employees to become millionaires within a few years - by playing a game. boo hoo.

PS I shed no tears for owners either, but cmon.

Name me another field on the planet where their employees have to go through a combine, get poked, prodded, stared at naked, drafted, and then within three years can never work in the field again for the rest of their lives...

Does this sound eeriliy equivalent to pledging a fraternity?

Name me another field on the planet where their employees have to go through a combine, get poked, prodded, stared at naked, drafted, and then within three years can never work in the field again for the rest of their lives, and I'll think about agreeing that players are employees and nothing more.

:wacko:

If my company wanted to pay me $10M up front - before I even worked a day for them and they couldn't recover it regardless of what happened to me as long as I didn't violate my contract - and then another $1M a year for 3 years under the condition that I never work in my field again for the rest of my life, and then further put as a condition of employment that I get poked, prodded, stared at naked, and drafted - you know, I would take that deal in a heartbeat and never look back.

The percentage that the players get is unprecedented. That percentage doesn't include all of the owners' other expenses in running a pro football franchise, which are substantial. If the owners still make millions after all of that? Hey, more power to them. Owners of successful businesses are supposed to make a ton of money.

Don't forget that part of the reason the NFL is so outrageously successful is that they have not let the players run away with the sport like some other pro leagues have. They also take great care of the players while they are employees - granted that it is in their own best interest as well as the players' to do so - and the pension plan for players is extremely lucrative and can be earned in a very short time. Hell, they even provide free taxi service anywhere, anytime for players and the players still get pinched for drunk drving regularly. How many companies do so much for employees?

Not that any of this matters to you. Workers of the world unite!

Edited by Bronco Billy

:tup:

If my company wanted to pay me $10M up front - before I even worked a day for them and they couldn't recover it regardless of what happened to me as long as I didn't violate my contract - and then another $1M a year for 3 years under the condition that I never work in my field again for the rest of my life, and then further put as a condition of employment that I get poked, prodded, stared at naked, and drafted - you know, I would take that deal in a heartbeat and never look back.

sing it sister !! :wacko:

I agree that the players get more than enough compensation; however, their deal is a percentage of revenues. How can you have such an agreement and not open the books?

Ever hear of accountants? Besides, one of the companies does open its books fully: The publicly owned Green Bay Packers. You, I, or anyone else can see them, they are a matter of public record. So its not like the NFLPA is completely in the dark.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The owners are saying that they need to renegotiate the deal cuz of expenses, yet they won't prove that there's a disconnect between income and outgo.

They don't need to. THEY'RE THE OWNERS!

The owners caved in on the outrageous percentage of revenues because the players held the upper hand and used their leverage.

Now the owners hold the upper hand and are applying leverage.

Funny how that works. And the players will still get a buttload of money, health benefits, the ability to gain additonal income through endorsements because of the health and popularity of the league, plus numerous other benefits that you & I can't even dream of.

No one is forcing the players to play in the NFL. They choose to. They are welcome to make a living in any other way they are capable if they don't want to comply with league rules in return for making millions of dollars themselves.

No one is forcing the players to play in the NFL. They choose to. They are welcome to make a living in any other way they are capable if they don't want to comply with league rules in return for making millions of dollars themselves.

Except the majority would never be able to sustain the lifestyle of an NFL player. Of course it would help a great deal if they chose to stay in school and have a diploma to fall back on....oh wait...what was I thinking. Yeah...no pity here.

The percentage that the players get is unprecedented. That percentage doesn't include all of the owners' other expenses in running a pro football franchise, which are substantial.

The owners get the first billion off the top before the pie is divvied up.