[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki Barber coming out of retirement?

tazinib1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiki Barber has filed the paperwork to officially come out of retirement.

Barber hasn't played since walking away from the Giants after racking up 2,127 total yards in his age-31 season of 2006. Returning to the NFL after four seasons away is unprecedented for a player of Tiki's age. The closest comp may be Ricky Williams, who missed 2004, 2006 and all but one game of 2007 before returning in 2008 at age 31. Also similar to Williams' scenario, Barber recently claimed to be broke after going through a costly divorce. At age 36 with fresh legs, his upside is third-down back. The Giants still held his rights when he retired, so they'll have to decide whether to bring him back or release him once he's reinstated.

Hercshel Walker said he's going to go back to the NFL in 2-3 years, when he's 50. Scary thing is, he's in better shape than 95% of runningbacks on active rosters right now.

With all due respect, and with knowing what kind of shape Walker has kept himself in, this is a completely wee-todd-ed statement. 95%? Seriously? Come on.

That seems to be the talk of the town. Retaining Caddy as the 3rd down back will answer that question very quickly.

While I may have questioned the "he's in better shape than 95% of the current rostered NFL RBs", I think he'd probably be as good a bet as Caddy - if not a tad better. Who knows.

With all due respect, and with knowing what kind of shape Walker has kept himself in, this is a completely wee-todd-ed statement. 95%? Seriously? Come on.

Darin,

Walker is still a professional athlete. He trains year around, something that a lot of NFLers don't. So yeah, I think the guy is in the top 1% as far as what kind of shape he's in. Keep on being an elitist and calling someones opinion retarded though, that's super.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Darin,

Walker is still a professional athlete. He trains year around, something that a lot of NFLers don't. So yeah, I think the guy is in the top 1% as far as what kind of shape he's in. Keep on being an elitist and calling someones opinion retarded though, that's super.

Where did he call your post retarded?

Darin,

piratesownninjas,

I fully realize what Walker has been up to since his retirement. And :lol: at you calling someone "elitist". Hello!

Now, I certainly respect your opinion, but doesn't mean I can't call it koo-koo. It's simply my opinion that it's absurd. :wacko:

E2A: FWIW, I don't think the statement - as a whole - is koo-koo. I just think the percentage is off. There's just no way that a man approaching 50 years old is in better shape than 95 (or did you now say 99) percent of the league's RBs. I'd put Walker somewhere near the 50-percentile range, I reckon. There's just a huge difference between "fighting a bunch of scrubs in the MMA shape" and "NFL shape". Again, my opinion.

And hey, if in 2~ years he comes back and makes any impact whatsoever, well gosh darn good for him. I just think it's a pipe dream. Maybe Atlanta or Minnesota (the teams he'd eye to come back with) will sign him to some sort of trial contract just to see what he can do for the press' sake. :tup:

Edited by darin3

And hey, if in 2~ years he comes back and makes any impact whatsoever, well gosh darn good for him. I just think it's a pipe dream. Maybe Atlanta or Minnesota (the teams he'd eye to come back with) will sign him to some sort of trial contract just to see what he can do for the press' sake. :wacko:

Perhaps he can provide leadership in the locker room, and mentor some of the young folks. Seems worth it's weight in gold to me.

And for all the rest of you, his personal life is just that; it's not like he's raping and electrocuting anything.

Perhaps he can provide leadership in the locker room, and mentor some of the young folks. Seems worth it's weight in gold to me.

And for all the rest of you, his personal life is just that; it's not like he's raping and electrocuting anything.

He also quit, badmouthed his entire team, threw Eli under the bus, and then they won a Superbowl without him if I'm not mistaken?

That's definitely the kind of leadership I want in my locker room. :wacko:

Momma Barber always saying at the dinner table "Both my boys coulda' had a ring if one of them wasn't such a quitter!"

Edited by kpholmes

He also quit, badmouthed his entire team, threw Eli under the bus, and then they won a Superbowl without him if I'm not mistaken?

That's definitely the kind of leadership I want in my locker room. :wacko:

Momma Barber always saying at the dinner table "Both my boys coulda' had a ring if one of them wasn't such a quitter!"

If you were in the locker room, you might have a case. 5th level here-say is very convincing, I'm sure.

The Giants have his rights. If you are correct , they will unload them in a heart beat, I would assume.

With the "facts" you have, I assume you understand how consistently terrible he was treated that lead to the fallout.

I believe he is a much bigger stand-out then he gets credit for.

Guess we'll see.

If you were in the locker room, you might have a case. 5th level here-say is very convincing, I'm sure.

The Giants have his rights. If you are correct , they will unload them in a heart beat, I would assume.

With the "facts" you have, I assume you understand how consistently terrible he was treated that lead to the fallout.

I believe he is a much bigger stand-out then he gets credit for.

Guess we'll see.

Within hours of Tiki's announcement, the Giants stated they would not be retaining his rights.

MSNBC.com ..... Is your next reference from ..... DailyKOS.com? :wacko:

How about from a Giants spokesman? Or is that good enough?

"We wish Tiki nothing but the best, and when we are able to make the transaction, we will release him from our reserve/retired list," team spokesman Pat Hanlon announced.

Pat Hanlon via Twitter