[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man would I love to see a 18 game Season

archiebonker

I would love to see the NFL go to a 18 game season. The CFL does it and I can't see why a league like the NFL couldn't. I really think the players, not wanting too, is ridiculous. Isn't it just less PreSeason games and more regular season?

It would be the best thing for the NFL, and Fantasy Football. Chances are it won't happen, but I'm crossing my fingers.

p.s. Bring back the Winnipeg Jets in the NHL.> :wacko:

I'm against it. Another two games in the regular season may leave us with half of the starters in the Super Bowl being depth guys.

Don't mess with a perfect setup.

And lets be honest here, the only people that really want less pre-season are season ticket holders. Those last two games decide who's going to get the last few spots on the roster.

To tell you the truth, I think 18 games would be great for FF. You could have 16 teams in your league (more money), have each team play each other and still have 3 weeks of playoffs with out the worry of having it in the last game of the season.

And I'm sure they would have 2 bye weeks for each team anyways. So the injuries shouldn't be as big a problem as they are talking about.

To tell you the truth, I think 18 games would be great for FF. You could have 16 teams in your league (more money), have each team play each other and still have 3 weeks of playoffs with out the worry of having it in the last game of the season.

1) We have a 14 team league, 2 conferences, and get in 19 games where every team plays its conference opponenets twice and every team in the other conference once. 3 weeks of playoffs with 6 teams in and our SB is week 16. You can do it under the current schedule. Think doubleheaders.

2) If a week 17 SB is stupid, think of how much worse a week 19 SB would be. Longer seasons mean more time for the good teams to separate from the bad. There could likely be a lot of scrubs playing instead of studs in your scenario, even though you don't play in week 20.

3) The roadway to Hell is paved with good intentions. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. A longer season lessens the importance of any one game and there are going to likely be a lot more injuries as the longer season will lead to players playing more fatigued and banged up than they already do.

There's a very good chance that this idea will really dilute the product. I think 16 regular season games really pushes the edge of the envelope already and I am 100% against increasing the number of games.

Good for Owners, Vegas, and Fantasy Football? Yes.

Good for the players or my marriage? Not so much.

If it passes...can I crash at your place for a few months?

always liked the shirts...we interrupt this marriage for hunting season and thinkin those women are gettin off easy

1) We have a 14 team league, 2 conferences, and get in 19 games where every team plays its conference opponenets twice and every team in the other conference once. 3 weeks of playoffs with 6 teams in and our SB is week 16. You can do it under the current schedule. Think doubleheaders.

2) If a week 17 SB is stupid, think of how much worse a week 19 SB would be. Longer seasons mean more time for the good teams to separate from the bad. There could likely be a lot of scrubs playing instead of studs in your scenario, even though you don't play in week 20.

3) The roadway to Hell is paved with good intentions. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. A longer season lessens the importance of any one game and there are going to likely be a lot more injuries as the longer season will lead to players playing more fatigued and banged up than they already do.

There's a very good chance that this idea will really dilute the product. I think 16 regular season games really pushes the edge of the envelope already and I am 100% against increasing the number of games.

Fine points all. Especially 2.

Fine points all. Especially 2.

+1 on all that, and I really don't like the possibility of 2 sets of bye weeks. Leaving my feelings about the NFL aside (which I also think it will dilute the product), it could turn into an absolute mess for fantasy...

To the OP, does it really allow for more teams in a league? It might actually necessitate smaller leagues and/or bigger rosters, because of more potential for injuries and double the bye weeks to deal with. Rosters will need to have more quality players/handcuffs, or else you run the risk diluting the game of fantasy football just the same

If you thought people were frustrated by all the injuries to their fantasy players this last year, just wait...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Well, I'm 1000% for it. Like I said, here in Canada. The CFL plays a 18 game season and in alot rougher weather then they do down south. Plus they only have one bye week. With less depth of talent , you would think we would notice the injurys more. But you really don't. I know it's not the NFL, but it's still professional football with alot of the guys moving in and out of the NFL each year.

When it comes to FF. Why is that guys just want to play Fantasy Football with out the challenge of thinking. It's called a challenge, and having to think about having less depth on your rosters and maybe 2 bye weeks. Makes things interesting and it really shows who's the best Owner in your league. (or most lucky). I think it would be a great thing to have and we don't play any of our playoffs in the final week anyways. So I wouldn't be worring about Week 19 , just like we don't worry about week 17 now. So add teams to your leagues if it goes to 18. Make it a 16 team league, with each team playing each other and have 3 weeks of playoffs.

I think this would be perfect .

About the wifes comment. I think they would be upset if you were watching football for a extra two weeks , watching Hockey for 10 months, or Baseball for 9. Either way, you can't win. So we might as well have a few more Monday Nighters. :wacko:

And I'm sure they would have 2 bye weeks for each team anyways. So the injuries shouldn't be as big a problem as they are talking about.

Not all injuries are of the 1 week kind.

Well, I'm 1000% for it. Like I said, here in Canada. The CFL plays a 18 game season and in alot rougher weather then they do down south. Plus they only have one bye week. With less depth of talent , you would think we would notice the injurys more. But you really don't. I know it's not the NFL, but it's still professional football with alot of the guys moving in and out of the NFL each year.

I think this would be perfect .

The CFL doesn't have Pat Willis and LaRon Landry knocking people into next month. It's a different level of violence we're talking about here. And saying the NFL should do it because it works in the CFL is insanity. The NFL has a perfect setup now as is. It's not hard to figure out that the more games you play, the greater chance you have for injury...

18 Games=Greater chance for injury=More injured stars=Lower quality of football which is what the league wants to get away from right? The lower quality?

Not to argue that the NFL has better Quality, but to say that a 300lb Linebacker in the CFL is that much different then NFL ones is saying alot. They still have to play the same game, except a bigger and wider field up here. Plus it's a crime when the NFL "Stars" have to play in -10 while players like Theismann, Moon, Ricky Williams, Flutie, Garcia, Ochocinco and many others have played in -30 sometimes.

I'm not saying they have to do it because they play 18 up here. What I'm saying is. I don't think 2 less PreSeason games in exchange for 2 Regular Season games. Will make as much difference as you guys think. Hell, NHL players play almost a 100 games and manage. And you can't tell me that's not physical.

And I'd love to see it for FF. I like the challenge.

Not to argue that the NFL has better Quality, but to say that a 300lb Linebacker in the CFL is that much different then NFL ones is saying alot. They still have to play the same game, except a bigger and wider field up here. Plus it's a crime when the NFL "Stars" have to play in -10 while players like Theismann, Moon, Ricky Williams, Flutie, Garcia, Ochocinco and many others have played in -30 sometimes.

I'm not saying they have to do it because they play 18 up here. What I'm saying is. I don't think 2 less PreSeason games in exchange for 2 Regular Season games. Will make as much difference as you guys think. Hell, NHL players play almost a 100 games and manage. And you can't tell me that's not physical.

And I'd love to see it for FF. I like the challenge.

I'd be willing to bet that Pat Willis putting you on your ass, or LaRon Landry hitting you going 20 mph is going to hurt more so than an average CFL LB/Saftey.

No one is talking about the tempetures, so I'm not sure that has any merit. Do any of your CFL stars have to play in 90 degree heat with the humidity through the roof? Nope, but it doesn't make a difference in the discussion.

People like to act as if those two pre-season games don't matter. Fact is that they do. Coaches and GM's are making decisions on which 53 guys are going to be on an active roster, who's going to the practice squad, and who's going to the streets. The thought process that the bottom guys of the 53 aren't important is asinine. We're talking key special teams players. We're talking Sam Shields going to the practice squad or being active for the 2011 season.

And you call it a challenge, I call it over doing it.

And hockey is a physical sport, but it's a different animal than the violence in the NFL.

I'm against it. Another two games in the regular season may leave us with half of the starters in the Super Bowl being depth guys.

Don't mess with a perfect setup.

And lets be honest here, the only people that really want less pre-season are season ticket holders. Those last two games decide who's going to get the last few spots on the roster.

Pre-season is a joke. Teams can evaluate their players on their own time and money. They can extend training camp and hold more scrimmage games. Im wondering what the percentage of the players that get the last few spots on the roster actually play?

Pre-season is a joke. Teams can evaluate their players on their own time and money. They can extend training camp and hold more scrimmage games. Im wondering what the percentage of the players that get the last few spots on the roster actually play?

I like the four preseason games, and if you don't want to pay for pre season games, don't buy season tickets. If you've got the money to spend on said season tickets I dont want to hear you bitching about money. And I'd say 2-4 players make or miss the team in the least week or so.

I dont hold season tickets. Hell as of late I cant afford to go to a game. But you dont want to hear people that do have season tickets bitch, how long do you think that there would be an NFL without season ticket holders? Seems to me that the 70 or 80 thousand people that pay $125.00 plus a game, $7.00 for a beer or $4.00 for a crappy hotdog are the reason that we can sit on our couches and watch football. And if a season ticket holder wants to bitch about being required to pay 100 plus dollars for 4 practice games in order to pay the same amout to watch a real football game, well maybe they should be heard.

Edited by fingfootball

I dont hold season tickets. Hell as of late I cant afford to go to a game. But you dont want to hear people that do have season tickets bitch, how long do you think that there would be an NFL without season ticket holders? Seems to me that the 70 or 80 thousand people that pay $125.00 plus a game, $7.00 for a beer or $4.00 for a crappy hotdog are the reason that we can sit on our couches and watch football. And if a season ticket holder wants to bitch about being required to pay 100 plus dollars for 4 practice games in order to pay the same amout to watch a real football game, well maybe they should be heard.

until they bitch with their wallets, noone will listen.

Not all injuries are of the 1 week kind.

The CFL doesn't have Pat Willis and LaRon Landry knocking people into next month. It's a different level of violence we're talking about here. And saying the NFL should do it because it works in the CFL is insanity. The NFL has a perfect setup now as is. It's not hard to figure out that the more games you play, the greater chance you have for injury...

18 Games=Greater chance for injury=More injured stars=Lower quality of football which is what the league wants to get away from right? The lower quality?

Pretty much this. I agree it's perfect the way it is. Also consider there would be more meaningless games in weeks 17-19 as teams have wrapped up their divisions and bench their starters. I don't want to see the importance of each regular season game watered down.

until they bitch with their wallets, noone will listen.

I may be wrong, but that's probably what part of this 18 game season is about. WIth the economy the way it is, season ticket sales are likely down across the board. The NFL probably figures to eliminate 2 worthless games might be a concession to the season ticket holders.

I can't see two extra regular season games making that much difference with how important games will be near the end of the season. You can agrue the same thing now with 16. Wasn't there like 5 teams sitting players in the last two weeks?

I think 18 games would be great for all. The owners get more revenue, players make more money at the end of the season, we get to watch two more weeks of ball, and in Fantasy Football. It makes it more of a stragic chllenge to win your league. You can't just sit on your top few picks to win you the championship.

My vote still is for a 18 game season. Now if only we had some kind of football for 2011. :wacko:

Pretty much this. I agree it's perfect the way it is. Also consider there would be more meaningless games in weeks 17-19 as teams have wrapped up their divisions and bench their starters. I don't want to see the importance of each regular season game watered down.

i disagree with that matt... i think that due to parody more teams will still be alive towards the end of the season. i tend to be in the camp that 2 more games increases risk of injury.

from a ff standpoint, don't like how the possible two bye weeks would impact playoffs. if they stay with one, i am actually liking it a bit more if leagues decide to stay with a week 16 or 17 championship, as i think more teams will be competitive, hence fewer studs getting rested that early.