[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFLPA May Be No Longer

WJW

I received, as a season-ticket holder, this email from the Eagles a few minutes ago:

March 11, 2011

As an important member of the Philadelphia Eagles, we felt it was appropriate to pass along a statement from the NFL regarding the events that transpired this afternoon. Although we will be limited in what we can say about the discussions, we will do our best to keep you informed.

Thank you for your continued support.

Philadelphia Eagles

NFL STATEMENT:

The fastest way to a fair agreement is for both the union and the clubs to continue the mediation process. Unfortunately, the players' union has notified our office that at 4pm ET it had "decertified" and is walking away from mediation and collective bargaining, presumably to initiate the antitrust litigation it has been threatening to file. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, the clubs offered a deal that would have had no adverse financial impact upon veteran players in the early years and would meet the players' financial demands in the latter years.

The union left a very good deal on the table. It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

The union was offered financial disclosure of audited league and club profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs.

The expanded health and safety rules would include a reduction in offseason programs of five weeks (from 14 to nine) and of OTAs (Organized Team Activities) from 14 to 10; significant reductions in the amount of contact in practices; and other changes.

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham 'decertification' and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

The NFL clubs remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached. The NFL calls on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finger pointing, name calling, agents poaching other agents' players... all within several hours.

This is going to be a long and painful trip... I hope NBA and MLB fans are watching, because their future seasons are now in the hands of the NFL.

I have ended up falling onto the side of the ownership here, it does seem like the Union left a good deal on the table and never really intended on negotiating in good faith.

I started to feel this way last week when it was apparent Smith was in over his head. I put this all on his shoulders.

I just got this e-mail

National Football League

Dear NFL Fan wiegie,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work

tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players'

union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair

agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For

the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is

a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away

from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the

clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that

was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran

players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the

latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap

that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation

of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively

affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans;

implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season

format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval

of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82

million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of

our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we

all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process

until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations

immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can

be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly

committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs

and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and

foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight

of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,

Roger Goodell

So we've concluded the owners made a fair and equitable offer because they say it was a good offer?

Damn straight. They shouldn't have even offered what they did.

If I was a retired player, I'd be pissed right now. Gil Brandt was on Sirius a bit ago and discussed a labor issue years ago when Tex Schramm was still around and noted that ownership suggested a piece of the pie be set aside for retired players, and the then-current players said no 'cause it was coming from their end. Kinda like this time around.

I maintain that the greed of the players and the ego of DeMaurice Smith are why we are where we are.

The NFLPA had no interest in negotiating. That much is clear now, so like I said before, F the players.

So we've concluded the owners made a fair and equitable offer because they say it was a good offer?

So you are implying the owners either lied or that what they offered wasn't fair?

I was all for the players not a week ago. From the actions of the Union the last few days, the deal offered by the NFL that was turned down, and what seems like ignorance from the player representatives to the teams (meaning they have no idea what the real consequences are of the actions taken today), I have turned sides. Just seems like the owners tried to make a fair BUSINESS deal, and the Union had zero intention on even seriously negotiating yet put everybody through the process anyway.

I will say this - the NFL is doing a very quick and effective job of turning fans on the players. Which is probably a good strategy considering once Peyton, Brady and Brees are sitting next to each other in the court room - the NFL suits will be hard pressed to win the sympathy of fans.

I will say this - the NFL is doing a very quick and effective job of turning fans on the players. Which is probably a good strategy considering once Peyton, Brady and Brees are sitting next to each other in the court room - the NFL suits will be hard pressed to win the sympathy of fans.

:wacko:

You mean 3 of the highest paid players in the NFL trying to justify that they are not being fairly compensated is gonna win the hearts of fans??? I think you got it backwards Kyle.

I think the former Union is doing a good enough job turning the fans on the players right now....

You mean 3 of the highest paid players in the NFL trying to justify that they are not being fairly compensated is gonna win the hearts of fans??? I think you got it backwards Kyle.

To you and me, maybe not.

To the average sports fan - seeing three of the most popular players in the league, on "the same team," fighting because they've "been treated unfairly" - is going to go a lot further than people sitting across from them that no one recognizes.

Edited by kpholmes

Wow. Jeff Pash (NFL Exec VP of labor) is at the mic ripping the union's negotiations. Sounds like the league was giving them A LOT. If what he's saying is true then indeed it was the union's plan all along to decertify.

Big surprise. The NFLPA has been run by aholes for a LONG time.

:wacko: Frankly I'm happy to see them choke on it, the greedy POFSs. Let something take its place or we can just do something else with our fall Sundays.

To you and me, maybe not.

To the average sports fan - seeing three of the most popular players in the league, on "the same team," fighting because they've "been treated unfairly" - is going to go a lot further than people sitting across from them that no one recognizes.

Ok so we are on the same page then..just check'n

All I can say is the players and the owners are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.I for one will never watch another NFL game if we lose this season due to a labor squable.When MLB went on strike and lost the World Series i decided then that I would never follow it again.I don't even glance at the standings in the newspaper to this day.All I can say is thank god for college football and the SEC.

All I can say is the players and the owners are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.I for one will never watch another NFL game if we lose this season due to a labor squable.When MLB went on strike and lost the World Series i decided then that I would never follow it again.I don't even glance at the standings in the newspaper to this day.All I can say is thank god for college football and the SEC.

I have to admit, it wasnt a conscious decision, but I stopped going to Yankee games regularly after their last strike, and have never followed the Rangers again after the NHL strike (even though that strike saved the league, really). Now, I was never, EVER close in obsession to those sports like I have always been to the NFL. But the players union, right now, has given me a really bad taste in my mouth, and if the season is lost because of thier actions (I no longer see it as the owners actions), then I am afraid of what happens next....

Bon Jovi still owns an Arena team, right?