[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I the only one who's not angry about this CBA stuff?

Swiss Cheezhead

I've been following along as closely as possible, reading a dozen or more CBA-related newsbits every day. I was expecting to feel something strongly negative if/when a lockout officially occurred. But I didn't. I just remained as curiously fascinated as I've been for the last couple of months.

I don't want to get into which side I favor and why. The main point I'd like to add to this unbelievably huge and complicated discussion is that we are in the United States of America, where disagreements over $9 billion can take place, and the worst things that can happen are hurt feelings and the loss of football games.

What I'd like to stop seeing and reading are the arguments that go like this:

Pro-owners: "These ego-inflated primadonnas need to stop acting like they're special and be happy with what they've got. If they think they can get better pay and benefits in a different occupation, they can go try."

Pro-players: "These crusty billionaires need to stop being greedy and be happy with what they've got. If they think they can do better with different players, they can go try."

What do you think both sides are doing? They each have leverage, and they're each using it to advance their own interests. Both sides have shown that (so far) they're committed to their own conflicting standpoints. Basically, they're saying to each other, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" Good for them.

Because this is America, they'll both get what they deserve. And, oh yeah, the fans will get what they deserve, too.

Yes, I have chosen to devote an inordinately large portion of my life's attention to The Game played by other grown men. Yes, I pay a lot of money every year to enhance my enjoyment of The Game. Yes, I watch The Game on TV so dedicatedly that it's easy for me to understand why the TV contracts are so enormous. So, yes, I also understand that the end result of all that is a bunch of people -- team owners and players -- who are getting ungodly rich from The Game. Why should I be surprised that the two sides don't agree about how that money is spent?

Plus, I had fair warning. I remember the last CBA negotiations like they were yesterday. I (devoted fan as I am) have known about the possibility of a lockout for years now. Did that cause me to decrease my consumption of the game? On the contrary.

It's not only not surprising; it's not even unique. It's happened before in the NFL, and more recently in other sports. And it represents a general rule of thumb of human nature: People often disagree about what to do with surpluses. You know what happens when somebody hits the PowerBall jackpot? They lose friends and family members, because everybody questions how the winner is divvying up the cash.

In the analogy, we the fans are the government. We created the lottery, and we pumped up the jackpot to levels that make ordinary human beings think and behave irrationally. Now, let's shut up and steer clear while the winner's family and friends figure it out.

Just pay attention and be patient. If you think you can find a better sport out there, you can go try.

All I care to say is that I am right there with you. I am not going to pretend to know the ins and outs other than whatever propaganda they feed us. I have been on the workers side of negotiations in the past and seen how slanted management could make things look. I will not take a stand and I am not angry about it at all. Let the process run its course.

I'm right there with you. While I'm a huge football fan I say F' em. BOTH sides - F' em both. I mean the billionaire owners are still greedy with all their current wealth, and the players - so many people would love to be in their shoes for a fraction of their salary. I mean they don't "work". They get paid to lift weights, smack other guys rumps, and chase each other around on a grass field. And then you have the NFLPA tell the current players, "in order to deal with the freeze in salary, reduce the size of your entourage, keep your wallet and your budget in tact if you do go out, and don't go out and buy several cars this offseason." (That was quoted the other day on local sports radio) Seriously..

With everything else that's going on today - most notably the casastrophic events in Japan - football and every greedy bastard involved can suck it.

I went through all this with the NHL lockout a few years ago. I am a much more passionate hockey fan than a football fan, so I was reading up on the situation with the NHL, looking at the positions of both sides, and I even read the proposals made by both sides when they were made public. If you go back and look at the older threads about that lockout, I was right in the thick of it.

As for this situation with the NFL, I couldn't give a tinker's damn about it. If it gets worked out, great, if there's no football next season, I'll get by just fine. There is nothing about this work stoppage that is triggering any kind of response from me other than apathy.

I'm finding that I don't really care either.

Separately, if you believe that "there is no such thing as bad publicity" then it's quite possible that both sides look at this as nothing more than an extended marketing campaign to get media outlets that don't usually have anything to say about the NFL to now have stuff to say. Which raises awareness. Which may lead to additional viewers / fans once this all is settled.

...assuming, of course, that it doesn't become overly protracted...

While I have my opinion on which side is to blame, it doesn't anger me one bit. I love football, and my Eagles, but the recent events around the globe only further the notion that life is too short to sweat stuff over which you have no control.

They'll play again one day....maybe September, maybe October, maybe next year....but they'll play again...and I'll watch and root for my home team :wacko:

In the analogy, we the fans are the government.

No, we are the morons who paid $1000 for tickets expecting to hit it big and came away empty.

But angry? Hell I'm happy about it :wacko: Die NFL die! Let the owners cry about losing millions. Let the thug and circus clown ahole players go get a real job. Not only is this not bad, it's fantastic and desperately needed for everyone - the owners, players, AND yeah fans. Do something besides vegetate in front of the TV all day on fall Sundays. And no I don't mean video games.

Edited by BeeR

No, we are the morons who paid $1000 for tickets expecting to hit it big and came away empty.

But angry? Hell I'm happy about it :wacko: Die NFL die! Let the owners cry about losing millions. Let the thug and circus clown ahole players go get a real job. Not only is this not bad, it's fantastic and desperately needed for everyone - the owners, players, AND yeah fans. Do something besides vegetate in front of the TV all day on fall Sundays. And no I don't mean video games.

serious question for you...then why are you even here posting if you feel this way about the NFL?

Because despite all there is to be nauseated about the w/the NFL and the direction it's taken, I still love football and have enjoyed the NFL in some ways despite itself (granted FF has made a big diff that way). I admit part of me would miss the NFL season. But again I think was probably overdue and is needed for many reasons. Love/hate thing I guess.

I love football and I love FF football. But all these guys make me sick. Here most people are struggling to pay bills and things are happening all over the world. We have guys and girls fighting and dying across the world for our freedom here in North America. Who do these guys think they are? Why do they think they are all worth millions and Billions.

You know what? Until these guys actually figure out that we are in charge and we are the ones that pay their salary. Go watch another league (Try watching the CFL), go play football with your kids or friends. Enjoy life.

Believe me, I'll miss watching NFL......but if all I'm going to be is pissed off about these spoiled asses. Maybe it's better if we just forget them for now.

But angry? Hell I'm happy about it :tup: Die NFL die! Let the owners cry about losing millions. Let the thug and circus clown ahole players go get a real job. Not only is this not bad, it's fantastic and desperately needed for everyone - the owners, players, AND yeah fans. Do something besides vegetate in front of the TV all day on fall Sundays. And no I don't mean video games.

:wacko:

During one of the major sports' cancelling a season, didn't a bunch of fans try to get together and boycott games? I would love to see that for a season or two...oh how things would change.

At first, I was surprised at how frustrated I was after last Friday. Depressed even, thinking about the possibility of no football this season. However, as the days go by, I have been able to reevaluate my emotions and have come to the conclusion that nothing that has happened so far really affects me personally. In regards to the NFL, I am selfish: I don't care about player salaries or owner profits. I only care that football is on for me to watch on Sundays. I don't pay for NFL Ticket (can't get satellite signal where I live) and if I want to see my team play badly enough I have to go to the bar. Going to an actual game is far too expensive for me---they priced me out of that experience a long time ago. So, I am left with watching whatever is on network TV, and / or indulging in the RedZone on Comcast. The only thing I worry about is that eventually the NFL will go to 100% pay per view for the games. That is where I will draw the line, but I think it's going to happen. At that point, for me, it will no longer be worth the cost to follow football.

During one of the major sports' cancelling a season, didn't a bunch of fans try to get together and boycott games? I would love to see that for a season or two...oh how things would change.

Well if you're going to dream, dream big.

That's what people said about baseball and last time I checked, owners and players alike are still racking in sick amounts of money. Far too many stupid/pathetic people out there who are such slaves to pro ball leagues that any boycott will have any real lasting effect.

I havent followed it one bit. I dont even know what they are fighting about and I dont care. I just think with all that $ on the table they will get er done and if they dont, its just another year the Eagles dont get a super bowl ring.