[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

$625 Cookbook

buddahj

Seems interesting, but I won't be dropping coin on it, that's for sure.

Well, mostly because you'd then have to turn around and spend 10s of thousands in lab equipment to make most of the things in the book.

Make no mistake, this is not a cookbook. This a tome on science and food. My fear, actually, is that it will do more harm than good to cooking as a whole. There are already likely as many chefs who are into this sort of thing and are actually talented enough to use this technology to make delicious food as we need. Especially considering that each one of them has guys working under them who are learning the right way to harness this mix of science and art.

This book means that any d-bag who's willing to plunk down the money for the machinery can start turning out hi-tech food. And, from what I've seen thus far, in the wrong hands, the food is down-right weird. Sure, in the hands of the true visionaries, this sort of thing can be an amazing thing. But if the same hacks that are pounding out sub-average fancy stuff decide to "take it up a notch" and go this way, I fear the results will be tragic.

Right now the worst they can do is over-cook the rack of lamb or over salt the demi. Wait until they try calcium carbonate/sodium alginate reactions and the other squirrely stuff these guys are doing.

I've eaten at a few of the places who dabble in this world and produce inspired and beautiful food. I've also been served far more attempts at this by guys who simply had no business messing with it and it's been unfortunate to say the least.

Well, mostly because you'd then have to turn around and spend 10s of thousands in lab equipment to make most of the things in the book.

Make no mistake, this is not a cookbook. This a tome on science and food. My fear, actually, is that it will do more harm than good to cooking as a whole. There are already likely as many chefs who are into this sort of thing and are actually talented enough to use this technology to make delicious food as we need. Especially considering that each one of them has guys working under them who are learning the right way to harness this mix of science and art.

This book means that any d-bag who's willing to plunk down the money for the machinery can start turning out hi-tech food. And, from what I've seen thus far, in the wrong hands, the food is down-right weird. Sure, in the hands of the true visionaries, this sort of thing can be an amazing thing. But if the same hacks that are pounding out sub-average fancy stuff decide to "take it up a notch" and go this way, I fear the results will be tragic.

Right now the worst they can do is over-cook the rack of lamb or over salt the demi. Wait until they try calcium carbonate/sodium alginate reactions and the other squirrely stuff these guys are doing.

I've eaten at a few of the places who dabble in this world and produce inspired and beautiful food. I've also been served far more attempts at this by guys who simply had no business messing with it and it's been unfortunate to say the least.

I love a good meal, but if scientists are going to take on food, they need to invent a fcking food pill that I can take when my wife and I can't decide where to go, can't decide what to order in and are too tired to cook anything, a scenario that invariably involves an argument and ruining my prospects of sex.