[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Wonderlic results

j2v

Article from Pro Football Weekly

Some high(low)lights:

LSU CB Patrick Peterson scored a 9, among the five lowest scores out of the 330 players who took the test in Indy.

They had quotes from three different scouts/evaluators, which all indicated that Peterson could still be a top man-coverage guy but he would struggle in a system where he was asked to disguise coverages (i.e. the Patriots).

George WR AJ Green scored a 10, also among the five lowest scores and lowest among wideouts. Alabama WR Julio Jones was only slightly better with a 15.

Again, a trio of evaluators weighed in. One said you wouldn't be able to ask Green to play X, Y, and Z; you'd have to give him one position and stick with it. Another said it would be tough for both Green and Jones to reach their full potential: "It's hard for dumb receivers." A third said the scores wouldn't represent a problem so long as the coaches don't overload them right away.

The top 10 scores:

Alabama QB Greg McElroy (43)

Boston College OT Anthony Castonzo (41)

Baylor OG Danny Watkins (40)

Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (38), Idaho QB Nathan Enderle (38)

Central Michigan ILB Nick Bellore (36)

Portland State TE Julius Thomas (35)

Florida State QB Christian Ponder (35)

Michigan OG Steve Schilling (35)

Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara (35)

The article also noted that many players are prepped on the Wonderlic so the scores may be misleading if they jump too dramatically. For example, Watkins evidently scored a 15 last spring, so the 25-point jump will raise red flags; some teams are apparently concerned about his ability to handle playing multiple positions (mentally, not physically). Amukamara improved by 21 points from the 14 he scored last fall. This line from the article: "...teams that have interviewed him have said the 14 score is a closer indicator of his intelligence."

Ouch, babe.

Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara (35)

Amukamara improved by 21 points from the 14 he scored last fall. This line from the article: "...teams that have interviewed him have said the 14 score is a closer indicator of his intelligence."

Prince carried a 3.4 GPA in high school and completed his undergraduate degree in 3.5 years (7 semesters) at Nebraska (found places quoting a "high" GPA but not a real number). He was on Big 12 academic honor roll one year. Granted I don't know how that all equates to the wonderlic but I highly doubt that Prince is acutally a 14 (although a 35 may be high). He also just started playing CB in college as I believe he originally played RB in HS. The kid is good, hard working, has great instincts, and can definitely learn the game at the NFL level IMO.

Prince carried a 3.4 GPA in high school and completed his undergraduate degree in 3.5 years (7 semesters) at Nebraska (found places quoting a "high" GPA but not a real number). He was on Big 12 academic honor roll one year. Granted I don't know how that all equates to the wonderlic but I highly doubt that Prince is acutally a 14 (although a 35 may be high). He also just started playing CB in college as I believe he originally played RB in HS. The kid is good, hard working, has great instincts, and can definitely learn the game at the NFL level IMO.

The wonderlic tests cognitive ability and problem-solving skills. Having good grades doesn't correlate to a high wonderlic score. Even a straight A student could do poorly on a wonderlic. I think the test aims to measure situational awareness more than anything.

The wonderlic tests cognitive ability and problem-solving skills. Having good grades doesn't correlate to a high wonderlic score. Even a straight A student could do poorly on a wonderlic. I think the test aims to measure situational awareness more than anything.

Then why are they calling them "dumb" and of "low intelligence" if it measures situatonal awareness?

Then why are they calling them "dumb" and of "low intelligence" if it measures situatonal awareness?

Because they are being measured for capability of playing in the NFL. Situational awareness and the ability to solve problems quickly is a highly valued ability.

Because they are being measured for capability of playing in the NFL. Situational awareness and the ability to solve problems quickly is a highly valued ability.

Of which Prince scored a 35 on when he took it a second time. I don't see how being "prepped" to what kind of test the wonderlic is negates not only his score but his classroom skills and work ethic? :wacko:

Of which Prince scored a 35 on when he took it a second time. I don't see how being "prepped" to what kind of test the wonderlic is negates not only his score but his classroom skills and work ethic? :wacko:

Have you taken a Wonderlic? There are a few samplers on the internet. A college student should be able to manage an average score at the least if they go in completely cold. The questions aren't really challenging mentally but the time factor weighs on some people that they panic. Prince's original 14 was probably a better indicator of his mental agility, and pro people who have interviewed him are saying exactly that.

That said, you don't need a rocket scientist to play CB in the NFL either. A low Wonderlic score would concern me a lot more for a QB, a C, or a MLB than it would for a CB, a WR, a DT or a RB.