[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL to change how tackles are scored, sort of

Today I got an email from a source

after getting clarification from "someone in the know" the NFL isn't changing how a tackle is scored but the software defaults that are used by the stats scorers is changing and the assumption is that the default changes will result in fewer solo tackles being scored...read below for a better explanation.

I am waiting to hear back from my source with regards to some questions I had and as soon as he responds I will post an update...

Here is a cut and paste of the email that I received:

Most IDP fantasy scoring systems give more points for tackles then assists. There are two types of tackles, solo and shared, but my guess is that most fantasy sites can't distinguish between the two given the data feeds they rely on.

When two guys are marked as having split the tackle the default scoring is to give the first guy a (shared) tackle, the second guy an assist. This default is changing for next season. The new default will be for both guys to get assists and neither guy a shared tackle. The data entry folks can override the default value but in practice they rarely do.

This will likely decrease the IDP value of certain players, primarily linebackers who play home games at stadiums that tend to award a lot of split tackles. Using a hypothetical scoring system of 1 point for (any kind of) tackle, 0.5 points per assist here are the top three guys who would be affected:

Jerod Mayo would have scored 19.5 fewer points

Paul Posluszny would have scored 18.5 fewer points

Stephen Tulloch would have scored 17.5 fewer points

Generally this won't affect players who get most of their split tackles on split sack plays. The overwhelming majority of split sacks are currently being scored as assist/assist. The change to how split tackles are being scored on regular tackles is being made so that it matches how split sacks are being scored.

Edited by keggerz

IF and that could be a big if, I am interpreting my sources email correctly then it looks like solo tackles are going to take a very big hit this year...

as it stands now I looked at the gamebook for week 1 Minny @ NO ...both teams combined for 114 total tackles (86 solos and 28 assists)...as I went thru the gamebook I came up with 28 plays that if scored now as my source says it will be then there would have been 28 fewer solos given out (meaning 28 more assists)....that is a 33% decrease in solo tackles....I am currently looking at the rest of week 1 and will record what I find and if I have the time I plan on doing the same thing for each game of each week....but if this plays out the way it sounds like it will then not just the top tacklers but all D players are going to take a pretty big hit since the solo tackle looks like it will take a very very big hit.

EDIT: my source did respond and was able to clarify what is being said. Basically the guys that record the stats at the games have defaults when they record the plays...in the past the default for a "Shared" tackle was for it to be listed like this (Mayo, Chung)...the COMMA meant that the 1st player got a SOLO and the 2nd person got an assist....in the gamebook if you saw it listed like this (Mayo; Chung) then the SEMI COLON meant that each player was going to get an ASSIST and there would be no solo given....going forward the SEMI COLON is going to be the default for the scorers...my source did clarify that the scorers have the ability to override the default and still score a play with the COMMA but that would require the scorers to edit the play in their computer and he expects that those scorers are going to take the easy way out and leave it scored with the default scoring. I asked my source if he minded if I cut and paste his response to me and if/when he gets back to me and says it is ok then I will post that response.

Edited by keggerz

*Possible points lost is based on 2pt for solos and 1 pt for an assist

Week 1 (so far have looked at 2 games):

Minn @ NO possible loss of 28 solos (equates to a loss of 14% in points scored associated with tackles)

Mia @ Buf possible loss of 38 solos (equates to a loss of 16% in points scored associated with tackles)

I edited out the name of the person that provided me the information to protect his identity ...they will now be known as the/my source

stay tuned because I have some additonal stats that I will be posting that should shed some light on this too

Edited by keggerz

Here are some numbers to chew on:

Total SOLO tackles in the NFL in 2010: 25,279

Total SHARED tackles in the NFL in 2010: 4574

Just to clarify what a SHARED tackle is; a shared tackle is a tackle where one player is given a solo and another player is given an assist.

That means that 18% of the "Solo" tackles that IDP players were credited with happened on SHARED tackles.

The reason this is important to point out is that because in the past the default way the official scorers had to assign credit for the tackle was (solo, assist)...that is changing this year to (assist; assist)...the official scorer still has the ability to override the default and assign (solo, assist) but the thought is that since it takes extra work to do so that many of the scorers will just go with the default setting...

Here is a list of SHARED tackles by team:

BUF 298

NE 244

TEN 229

IND 211

NYG 203

CLV 198

BLT 191

HST 185

WAS 177

PIT 173

SEA 173

NO 149

TB 146

NYJ 134

KC 131

SD 128

ARZ 124

GB 119

CAR 116

DEN 116

ATL 112

DAL 109

JAX 107

MIN 101

DET 100

CIN 99

MIA 97

SL 92

OAK 89

CHI 85

SF 70

PHI 68

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What this means is that certain defenses such as New England and Buffalo will have a LOT fewer solo tackles to hand out next season. However, teams such as the Bears and Rams will not be affected as much, and thus the stud LBs from those teams (Urlacher, Laurenitis) will actually be MORE valuable than they were in previous seasons.

Edited by gandalas

• 5 months later...

with 3:07 left in the Pitt vs Indy game the scorer has yet to give a (solo, assist).....everything has been a solo or the new default of (assist;assist)

I plan on mining the stats to see what I can dig up and plan to utilize them in the game breakdowns.

• 2 weeks later...