[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going Back To School

KevinL

Good luck!

My 52 year old b-i-l went back to school for this 3 years ago, graduated & just passed the qualifying test on his 7th attempt. The score needed was 141, he scored between 138-140 the first six times. It costs $800 per try & the average amount is 12 attempts. He is pretty sure the test is a scam. I have never before told a grown man that I was very proud of them. He will teach middle school & coach basketball. The kids who have him for a teacher will be very fortunate.

• 1 year later...

So the past year has been super-intense! Summer classes were the hardest thing I've ever done, we basically took 18 graduate level college credits in 2 months!

Then I was student teaching at John Adams, one of the most poverty-stricken schools in the city of Cleveland. It has been a fantastic experience!

I just got a job offer, high school math, in the adjacent district to my house. We're super-excited!

So the past year has been super-intense! Summer classes were the hardest thing I've ever done, we basically took 18 graduate level college credits in 2 months!

Then I was student teaching at John Adams, one of the most poverty-stricken schools in the city of Cleveland. It has been a fantastic experience!

I just got a job offer, high school math, in the adjacent district to my house. We're super-excited!

Man, that's great news. Congrats!!!!

So awesome to see someone actually excited about teaching in a poverty-stricken school. It's always portrayed as a dismal, thankless, dangerous job with lousy pay. We need about a million of you, then maybe we could keep up with the rest of the world. All the best in the new job.

So awesome to see someone actually excited about teaching in a poverty-stricken school. It's always portrayed as a dismal, thankless, dangerous job with lousy pay. We need about a million of you, then maybe we could keep up with the rest of the world. All the best in the new job.

The poverty stricken school (John Adams in Cleveland Public Schools) is where he did his student teaching, he didn't say where the job offer came from other than the adjoining district to where he lives. I'm not saying that it isn't poverty stricken, but it could just as easily be a very nice suburban district.

As somebody who spent their final year of public school at a Cleveland Public School (John Marshall in 82) I have to say it was a real shock coming from suburban Los Angeles. I cannot imagine how some of the schools in that system are now 30 years later.

I've known a few teachers who work in inner city schools with lots of poor and many kids who just don't care to be there. For them at least it was very difficult and they looked for opportunities elsewhere.

Good luck Kevin.

The poverty stricken school (John Adams in Cleveland Public Schools) is where he did his student teaching, he didn't say where the job offer came from other than the adjoining district to where he lives. I'm not saying that it isn't poverty stricken, but it could just as easily be a very nice suburban district.

I fully read and understood what he wrote. He said teaching in the poor school was a fantastic experience. I applauded him for his enthusiasm and excitement about that experience. I'm guessing the new opportunity is in a better district though that was not stated.

I fully read and understood what he wrote. He said teaching in the poor school was a fantastic experience. I applauded him for his enthusiasm and excitement about that experience. I'm guessing the new opportunity is in a better district though that was not stated.

Ok, got it, my bad.