[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas Roadhouse?

BigMikeinNY

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours is pretty well run. The kids love to go there, mostly for the rolls they serve before dinner.

The wife mentioned to the manager how much the kids liked the rolls and that she was going to try to replicate the rolls for a get together at the house. The manager asked how many people we were having over and as we left he surprised us with 80 frozen rolls to pop in the oven and "make it easy" for her. :wacko:

Ours is pretty well run. The kids love to go there, mostly for the rolls they serve before dinner.

The wife mentioned to the manager how much the kids liked the rolls and that she was going to try to replicate the rolls for a get together at the house. The manager asked how many people we were having over and as we left he surprised us with 80 frozen rolls to pop in the oven and "make it easy" for her. :wacko:

very cool

The wife mentioned to the manager how much the kids liked the rolls and that she was going to try to replicate the rolls for a get together at the house. The manager asked how many people we were having over and as we left he surprised us with 80 frozen rolls to pop in the oven and "make it easy" for her. :tup:

Did they also give you a side doggie bag full of cockroaches too? :wacko:

I don't get steakhouses. Of all the things that every man should be able to cook, it's a steak. And a baked potato. Stop by the salad bar in the grocery and get some jacked up salad with more bacon bits on it than veggies, throw some potatoes in the oven and fire up the grill. Throw on your cut of choice.

Beer or wine, doesn't matter, you're saving mad jack on that as well. You barely make a mess because you're not even really cooking.

At least at higher end places you may be getting some particularly nice aged beef or something. But I can assure you that TR or Outback or what have you that is not the case and you can do way better if you go to a good butcher or even a Whole Foods.

I don't get steakhouses. Of all the things that every man should be able to cook, it's a steak. And a baked potato. Stop by the salad bar in the grocery and get some jacked up salad with more bacon bits on it than veggies, throw some potatoes in the oven and fire up the grill. Throw on your cut of choice.

Beer or wine, doesn't matter, you're saving mad jack on that as well. You barely make a mess because you're not even really cooking.

At least at higher end places you may be getting some particularly nice aged beef or something. But I can assure you that TR or Outback or what have you that is not the case and you can do way better if you go to a good butcher or even a Whole Foods.

Agreed.

I love the occasional foray to a high end steakhouse that does dry aging. But anything else to me is less than what I can get from my butcher and do myself, IMO.

Because sometimes, when the kids have been screaming at you for 6 months and you can get away for 2 hours, and you are on somewhat of a budget, this is the best you can afford for a decent meal.

Because sometimes, when the kids have been screaming at you for 6 months and you can get away for 2 hours, and you are on somewhat of a budget, this is the best you can afford for a decent meal.

That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather go somewhere and eat something that's harder to produce at home. Got to a Thai place or something. No more expensive to eat there and, unless you cook that way all the time, you have to spend a ton of money on random ingredients to recreate at home.

And please understand, I wasn't dogging the notion of going to a chain place or even an inexpensive chain place. I hit those kinds of places too. Honestly, because I live in an area where I can buy dry aged steaks at the Whole Foods, and I'm now the proud owner of a BGE, I have an even bigger issue with the high-end places. I can buy 2 steaks for less than what one would cost. The $100 bottle of Cab sets you back maybe $30 in the store, and so on.

My issue, in general, is with the notion of going to a place that basically specializes in one of the dishes that can most easily be done well at home.

Edited by detlef

That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather go somewhere and eat something that's harder to produce at home. Got to a Thai place or something. No more expensive to eat there and, unless you cook that way all the time, you have to spend a ton of money on random ingredients to recreate at home.

And please understand, I wasn't dogging the notion of going to a chain place or even an inexpensive chain place. I hit those kinds of places too. Honestly, because I live in an area where I can buy dry aged steaks at the Whole Foods, and I'm now the proud owner of a BGE, I have an even bigger issue with the high-end places. I can buy 2 steaks for less than what one would cost. The $100 bottle of Cab sets you back maybe $30 in the store, and so on.

My issue, in general, is with the notion of going to a place that basically specializes in one of the dishes that can most easily be done well at home.

In general, I agree. But, sometimes, I (or my wife) just feel like a steak, and due to a lack of time or energy (or both), I don't feel like doing it myself. If I've got the time, though, you're right... I'd rather buy steaks, baked potatoes, steam some veges or grill asparagus, and pick up a bottle of wine and/or a six-pack. All for less than half of what we pay at Outback or somewhere similar (assuming we would have a couple of drinks there as well).

You're a bit off base there Det. Have cooked for Ruths Chris, Chandlers and Houlihans to name a few. Sure to cook a couple steaks on your grill seems easy. Try getting that simplicity right each and everytime on five to six hundred top a night eatery. Much harder to do than say a Mexican kitchen where you can have most of your foods prepped and ready way before time. Let alone most every item being cooked the same way and same doneness. I just love the people that say it's fool proof and fail miserably in such a "simple" execution. To me they are either full of sheet, full of themselves, have never worked at a high end steakhouse, or all of the above. People have my grilled steaks to this day and each and everytime I get "this is the best steak I've had in forever" Must be because it's so easy to do I guess.

You're a bit off base there Det. Have cooked for Ruths Chris, Chandlers and Houlihans to name a few. Sure to cook a couple steaks on your grill seems easy. Try getting that simplicity right each and everytime on five to six hundred top a night eatery. Much harder to do than say a Mexican kitchen where you can have most of your foods prepped and ready way before time. Let alone most every item being cooked the same way and same doneness. I just love the people that say it's fool proof and fail miserably in such a "simple" execution. To me they are either full of sheet, full of themselves, have never worked at a high end steakhouse, or all of the above. People have my grilled steaks to this day and each and everytime I get "this is the best steak I've had in forever" Must be because it's so easy to do I guess.

But I don't have to get 500-600 steaks right each and every time, every night. I have to get 4-8 steaks right on the occasions that I want a steak. I never buy steak out anymore for the exact reason Det stated--I go to the butcher, get some really nice steaks, and grill them better than any I can get out. I'm not bragging and I'm not the only one who has said that about my steaks.

Like many, my income has dropped. This is because I do a lot of work with private attorneys and their income has dropped (particularly in the area of family law). When I go out, I purposely go to restaurants where they do food that I cannot cook or haven't learned to cook. There are simply a few meals that I never order out (steaks, ribs, fettucini alfredo are a few that come to mind).

Steve beat me to it. Nobody is saying that cooking 500 and getting them all right, every night is easy. Dude, I've been in the business my entire life. I realize that, more than any amount of creativity is the most crucial difference between a pro and someone who is not.

But, as Steve so perfectly states below, that is not the case. Stave doesn't have to somehow manage to keep dozens of steaks, all fired at different times, all specified to various temps, all from different cuts, all needing to be done correctly, while communicating with other people to coordinate pick-ups. Steve needs to make sure his egg is nice and hot, season up his steaks, and fuss over them. That's it.

In other words, chill out. Nobody is saying that job is easy. But rather, cooking a steak is one of the easiest fancy restaurant meal to replicate at home. It requires the least amount of random ingredients (many of which will likely go bad before the next time you'd use them unless you're an avid cook). It also requires the smallest breadth of knowledge. I mean, compared to putting together some ethnic meal that involves a (literally) foreign batch of skills and ingredients as well as turning your kitchen into a disaster area.

But I don't have to get 500-600 steaks right each and every time, every night. I have to get 4-8 steaks right on the occasions that I want a steak. I never buy steak out anymore for the exact reason Det stated--I go to the butcher, get some really nice steaks, and grill them better than any I can get out. I'm not bragging and I'm not the only one who has said that about my steaks.

Like many, my income has dropped. This is because I do a lot of work with private attorneys and their income has dropped (particularly in the area of family law). When I go out, I purposely go to restaurants where they do food that I cannot cook or haven't learned to cook. There are simply a few meals that I never order out (steaks, ribs, fettucini alfredo are a few that come to mind).

Edited by detlef

You sir have never been to the 5D in Avinger, Tx. It is my fav eating joint anywhere.

Steve beat me to it. Nobody is saying that cooking 500 and getting them all right, every night is easy. Dude, I've been in the business my entire life. I realize that, more than any amount of creativity is the most crucial difference between a pro and someone who is not.

But, as Steve so perfectly states below, that is not the case. Stave doesn't have to somehow manage to keep dozens of steaks, all fired at different times, all specified to various temps, all from different cuts, all needing to be done correctly, while communicating with other people to coordinate pick-ups. Steve needs to make sure his egg is nice and hot, season up his steaks, and fuss over them. That's it.

In other words, chill out. Nobody is saying that job is easy. But rather, cooking a steak is one of the easiest fancy restaurant meal to replicate at home. It requires the least amount of random ingredients (many of which will likely go bad before the next time you'd use them unless you're an avid cook). It also requires the smallest breadth of knowledge. I mean, compared to putting together some ethnic meal that involves a (literally) foreign batch of skills and ingredients as well as turning your kitchen into a disaster area.

Just because it is easy and can be done cheaper at home does not mean you should not enjoy it out at a restaurant - Do you ever eat a burger or a fried egg or order french fries or pancakes or a hot dog or a ton of other things that are simple to make at home?? Just ribbing you - I hear what you are saying but I love to cook at home and I also really like Texas Roadhouse.

A lot of reasons to enjoy Texas Roadhouse or a similar place - they have awesome ribs and ribs are not easy for everyone to make at home - the rolls you get before the meal are awesome - you get a pick of many different sides so if you have a group of 4-6 people and some people want steaks and some want ribs and everyone orders a different side - good luck doing that at home.

I rarely order steaks out because I always think that it is easy and cheaper to do at home but when I do order a steak at a place like Texas Roadhouse a lot of the times it is better than I do at home.

Just because it is easy and can be done cheaper at home does not mean you should not enjoy it out at a restaurant - Do you ever eat a burger or a fried egg or order french fries or pancakes or a hot dog or a ton of other things that are simple to make at home?? Just ribbing you - I hear what you are saying but I love to cook at home and I also really like Texas Roadhouse.

A lot of reasons to enjoy Texas Roadhouse or a similar place - they have awesome ribs and ribs are not easy for everyone to make at home - the rolls you get before the meal are awesome - you get a pick of many different sides so if you have a group of 4-6 people and some people want steaks and some want ribs and everyone orders a different side - good luck doing that at home.

I rarely order steaks out because I always think that it is easy and cheaper to do at home but when I do order a steak at a place like Texas Roadhouse a lot of the times it is better than I do at home.

I understand what your saying but I only have so much discretionary spending money. If I'm going to spring for an expensive dinner, I don't want it to be a meal that I can do easily and extremely well at home. I want it to be something that I don't typically have and cannot easily create.

I understand what your saying but I only have so much discretionary spending money. If I'm going to spring for an expensive dinner, I don't want it to be a meal that I can do easily and extremely well at home. I want it to be something that I don't typically have and cannot easily create.

Yes but you have the the egg :wacko:.

I had a dude come look at remodeling my basement - I have an indoor charcoal grill and he mentioned that he loves to grill - I asked if he had a Big Green Egg and he never heard of it - I told him that I have read good things and it is supposed to be the ultimate for people that are passionate about grilling - pretty sure this guy left my house and was on a mission to buy himself a big green egg.

You should write to the company and ask for a small commission. :tup:

[/quote

This.

If I am dining out, I rarely make a steak joint my destination. It is to go out and get something that I have neither the time or inclination to do on my own. I cant cook Thai food, or make my own sushi. i CAN cook a steak very well.

Every now and again I will go out to a high end steakhouse, but it usually due to the company I am in and it is where they want to go.

Anyone in Milwaukee, is Prime Quarter Steakhouse still in business?

Yes but you have the the egg :wacko:.

I had a dude come look at remodeling my basement - I have an indoor charcoal grill and he mentioned that he loves to grill - I asked if he had a Big Green Egg and he never heard of it - I told him that I have read good things and it is supposed to be the ultimate for people that are passionate about grilling - pretty sure this guy left my house and was on a mission to buy himself a big green egg.

You should write to the company and ask for a small commission. :tup:

You have it wrong.

I do not "have" an Egg. I do not "own" an Egg. The Egg is present. I am present. I accept The Egg. The Egg accepts me. And thus, I am content.

not a steakhouse guy, but often order steak when out. same line of thought as mentioned. many times the sides and sauces draw me to order it (i don't have demi hanging around the house) and i don't have the time to do the more ellaborate sides/starches like i used to. after working the grill station at a chop house, i am more than happy to buy a nice piece and grill myself.

as for texas roadhouse, i've been to one for my fil's birthday and it was fine. i think i shared ribs and ribeye with mrs. middle of the road. not bad, but didn't blow me away either.