[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crabtree going forward?

mrbass24

I don't think the drafting of Kaepernick is reason to adjust his value one way or another, and I'm unsure as to if Harbaugh's arrival really means THAT much either. Crabtree's a freak and as SB noted above, will start to "get it" sooner rather than later. He could have the Easter Bunny throwin' him the ball with Oprah Winfrey as the head coach and he'd have a chance at stardom.

I think harbaugh will use try to utilize him a lot and get him a lot of targets, but I don't think he can ever put up WR1 or a strong WR2 numbers until he gets a decent QB. He can be a nice flex play this year, although his worst-case scenario he isn't even worth owning and his ceiling is relatively low (maybe a decent WR2 at best)..

This lockout certainly isn't helping his development. Especially in a new system. I wouldn't be surprised if it took him until his 4th or 5th year to put up stud fantasy numbers. I wouldn't risk taking him before the 5th or 6th round.

I think you'd be taking a big risk drafting Crabtree in the 5th or 6th rd. In the ESPN ranking summit they had him listed as the 27th overall WR. I think that is being generous. If he's still on the board in the 7th or 8th rd I would pick him up but no sooner than that. He'd be one of the guys I'd let be someone else's problem unless I got him as a great value.

I think you'd be taking a big risk drafting Crabtree in the 5th or 6th rd. In the ESPN ranking summit they had him listed as the 27th overall WR. I think that is being generous. If he's still on the board in the 7th or 8th rd I would pick him up but no sooner than that. He'd be one of the guys I'd let be someone else's problem unless I got him as a great value.

Yeah, 7th or 8th round is a better place to put him. Though he does have star potential and I´d rather take a risk on a potential star than draft a "solid" guy without stud potential. And then I looked at ESPN´s rankings and it is a really deep year at receiver. There seems to be 11 or 12 stud receivers, but then another 14 or 16 really good number 2 receivers. With depth like this at the position, I can see concentrating on other positions in rounds 4, 5, and 6.

I always saw it this way: Once you get outside the top 25 at either RB or WR, you get into the old guys hanging on and the young guys who could be great but have either failed to show it or aren't in an ideal situation to bust out. With RBs, I'll always err on the side of taking the kid because the old guy has almost zero chance of being a pleasant surprise. He'll put up numbers just good enough to keep you from dropping him but never good enough to start unless your team ends up being terrible. WRs, however, I think it's the other way around. You find the old guys are more likely to catch lightning in a bottle for just one more run and can end up being pretty money. It seems like, every year, I end up with a kid RB and an old WR, both of whom I either drafted late or not at all, both producing in my starting line-up. And it's almost never the other way around.

So, I think I'd need to let Crabtree fall to me and, as a result, would not likely get him.

Edited by detlef

Yeah, 7th or 8th round is a better place to put him. Though he does have star potential and I´d rather take a risk on a potential star than draft a "solid" guy without stud potential. And then I looked at ESPN´s rankings and it is a really deep year at receiver. There seems to be 11 or 12 stud receivers, but then another 14 or 16 really good number 2 receivers. With depth like this at the position, I can see concentrating on other positions in rounds 4, 5, and 6.

I totally agree with you about the depth at WR. I remember last year when Austin Collie was my #2 WR.... and scoring the most points on my team. (the only reason he isn't ranked higher is injury issues...)

There have been several players that jumped on the radar last year (from either low standing or being unknown) Kenny Britt and Brandon Lloyd are prime examples. I picked both of them up as free agents last year. Both of them ended up producing great numbers. I think this is showing the NFL's general move to being a pass first leauge...

I think this is showing the NFL's general move to being a pass first leauge...

The ironic part is that there aren´t as many truly elite receivers anymore. This can probably be chalked up to more 3 and 4 receiver sets. I could see an argument that only Andre Johnson and Roddy White are really elite going into this year´s fantasy draft. Receivers 3 through 12 aren´t really much better than receivers 13 through 28. With more and more people deciding to pick receivers earlier in fantasy drafts, this might be the year to zag when everyone else zigs. I see very good receiver value in rounds 6 and 7.

The ironic part is that there aren´t as many truly elite receivers anymore. This can probably be chalked up to more 3 and 4 receiver sets. I could see an argument that only Andre Johnson and Roddy White are really elite going into this year´s fantasy draft. Receivers 3 through 12 aren´t really much better than receivers 13 through 28. With more and more people deciding to pick receivers earlier in fantasy drafts, this might be the year to zag when everyone else zigs. I see very good receiver value in rounds 6 and 7.

Disagree. Call me a homer all you want, but if you watch any Packers games you'll get a massive appreciation for the route running that Greg Jennings does every play. I disagree that some joker 13-28 can do what he does.

Hmm . . I would put Calvin Johnson up there as elite too. I would also offer the reason that receivers continue to be good value is the decline of the "bell cow" RB and the RBBC approach by most teams.

Disagree. Call me a homer all you want, but if you watch any Packers games you'll get a massive appreciation for the route running that Greg Jennings does every play. I disagree that some joker 13-28 can do what he does.

True skill-wise maybe, but fantasy stat-wise he doesn´t put up that much greater of numbers. Last year he had 12 touchdowns, which was good, but had only 4 touchdowns in 2009. He had 76 catches last year, 68 catches in 2009, and 80 catches in 2008. All decent totals, but not numbers that make me want to take him in the first two rounds. I´d consider him mid 3rd round, but considering he´s being ranked a top-5 receiver, he'll be gone by the time I would take him. But I wouldn't mind Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe, or Calvin Johnson if they fall to mid 3rd round. Well, maybe not Bowe, he´s too risky. I see myself taking a qb in the 3rd round.

Edited by DallasMothership

True skill-wise maybe, but fantasy stat-wise he doesn´t put up that much greater of numbers. Last year he had 12 touchdowns, which was good, but had only 4 touchdowns in 2009. He had 76 catches last year, 68 catches in 2009, and 80 catches in 2008. All decent totals, but not numbers that make me want to take him in the first two rounds. I´d consider him mid 3rd round, but considering he´s being ranked a top-5 receiver, he'll be gone by the time I would take him. But I wouldn't mind Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe, or Calvin Johnson if they fall to mid 3rd round. Well, maybe not Bowe, he´s too risky. I see myself taking a qb in the 3rd round.

I want in a league your in where Wayne or Megatron falls to the 3rd round.

Hmm . . I would put Calvin Johnson up there as elite too. I would also offer the reason that receivers continue to be good value is the decline of the "bell cow" RB and the RBBC approach by most teams.

To me, it's more about consistency though. If you pick a WR in the first two rounds, it's for consistency, not final numbers. Lots of boom-or-bust guys that will lose you FF games but put up decent year end totals.

I see just the opposite. I love Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings (#2 overall for me atm), Wayne, Nicks, Maclin, Bowe, VJAX, Fitzgerald (assuming they address QB of course), Austin, DeSean. I mean this pushes solids like Welker, SSmith North, Boldin, Colston, and Wallace into Tier 2. But I look at some of the names in Tier 3 this season and just can't see it - Any Jet? Harvin with that QB situation? Lloyd? Britt? Williams (SEA)? SSmith South? Crabtree? Johnson (BUF)? Floyd? Stabby McMarshall? I don't see how anyone can be comfortable there if you aren't a homer. Granted many of those are QB-based question marks and it's going to be safe to assume some of them address it but until we know I would be very worried.

I see just the opposite. I love Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings (#2 overall for me atm), Wayne, Nicks, Maclin, Bowe, VJAX, Fitzgerald (assuming they address QB of course), Austin, DeSean. I mean this pushes solids like Welker, SSmith North, Boldin, Colston, and Wallace into Tier 2. But I look at some of the names in Tier 3 this season and just can't see it - Any Jet? Harvin with that QB situation? Lloyd? Britt? Williams (SEA)? SSmith South? Crabtree? Johnson (BUF)? Floyd? Stabby McMarshall? I don't see how anyone can be comfortable there if you aren't a homer. Granted many of those are QB-based question marks and it's going to be safe to assume some of them address it but until we know I would be very worried.

and you forgot a couple as well. in the first tier you could add dez byrant and mike williams (bucs)

I think Dez has all the making of a #1 Wr...well talent wise. I'm not not yet sold on him personally

I know I'll get roasted for that by some homers but I can see his off field problems (how ever small or big) hindering him in the future.

This has turned into a conversation about who's the best WR. I'll throw down ESPN's top 30 WR so we don't forget people and help people argue with each other.

1. Andre Johnson, Texans

2. Roddy White, Falcons

3. Greg Jennings, Packers

4. Hakeem Nicks, Giants

5. Calvin Johnson, Lions

6. Mike Wallace, Steelers

7. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

8. Vincent Jackson, Chargers

9. Reggie Wayne, Colts

10. Miles Austin, Cowboys

11. DeSean Jackson, Eagles

12. Dez Bryant, Cowboys

13. Dwyane Bowe, Chiefs

14. Mike Williams, Buccaneers

15. Jeremy Maclin, Eagles

16. Marques Colston, Saints

17. Brandon Lloyd, Broncos

18. Santonio Holmes, Jets

19. Steve Johnson, Bills

20. Wes Welker, Patriots

21. Kenny Britt, Titans

22. Mario Manningham, Giants

23. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins

24. Austin Collie, Colts

25. Sidney Rice, Vikings

26. Percy Harvin, Vikings

27. Michael Crabtree, 49ers

28. Anquan Boldin, Ravens

29. Jordy Nelson, Packers

30. Johnny Knox, Bears

Honestly til you get to the tail end of this list there aren't many WR's I wouldn't want on my team. From 21 on down you get into the QB question mark people like Britt, Rice, and Harvin. Plus people who have injuries issues like Collie. (I'll draft him in the 6th rd all day)

From 1 to 20 I could see every one of those WR's in my starting lineup. I'll also grant that these ranking will change but they show who has the talent right now.

21. Kenny Britt, Titans

22. Mario Manningham, Giants

23. Brandon Marshall, Dolphins

24. Austin Collie, Colts

25. Sidney Rice, Vikings

26. Percy Harvin, Vikings

27. Michael Crabtree, 49ers

28. Anquan Boldin, Ravens

29. Jordy Nelson, Packers

30. Johnny Knox, Bears

From 21 on down you get into the QB question mark people like Britt, Rice, and Harvin. Plus people who have injuries issues like Collie. (I'll draft him in the 6th rd all day)

:wacko:

Aaron Rodgers is your leader, and the Hick from the Sticks probably never got a detention in high school. Either way I don't think he deserves the 29th spot.

:wacko:

Aaron Rodgers is your leader, and the Hick from the Sticks probably never got a detention in high school. Either way I don't think he deserves the 29th spot.

Especially since they took Randall Cobb in the 2nd round of the draft...thats a headscratcher.