[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers to retire No. 4

jetsfan

ASHLAND, Wis. — Green Bay Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy says the team will eventually retire Brett Favre's No. 4. They just want to make sure he's really retired.

"He deserves that for what he did as a Packer," Murphy told fans in Ashland, Wis., on Wednesday during the team's annual Tailgate Tour. "But it's a very, very meaningful honor and we want to do it at a time when it's meaningful for both him and the organization."

According to the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Murphy says it would likely be a few years before the ceremony. He said when Favre retired after the 2007 season, they planned a ceremony at the opening game against the Vikings but then Favre went to play for the Jets. And then he went to Minnesota.

Earlier this week, Favre said he has no intention of coming out of retirement.

:wacko:

Edited by jetsfan

Screw Favre.He tore at the fabric of that team with his diva demands and threats of retirement. When his act wore thin, long after anybody else's would have due to the esteem Packer fans had for him, he conspired to get traded to the Vikings. He actively participated in their tampering because his desire was to stick it to the Packers for not appreciating him in spite of himself, even though no fan base was ever more appreciative than they had been.

Well he got his way, though he had to wait one year, a year of apparent sexual frustration. He got to the rival and did everything he could to stick it to the Packers. He really wanted to punish Packer fans for his own behavior.

Then this past year he lost to the Bears keeping them in front of the Packers. That happens. But he then went out of his way to go on to the field after the game, to seek out Bears players, and not to congratulate them on their season, but to say that he really hopes they beat the Packers. This is unacceptable.

Ginsu this bitch. He is a poo flinging masturbating chimp of a redneck. You don't retire the numbers of players who SHAM WOW! on your franchise.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Screw Favre.He tore at the fabric of that team with his diva demands and threats of retirement. When his act wore thin, long after anybody else's would have due to the esteem Packer fans had for him, he conspired to get traded to the Vikings. He actively participated in their tampering because his desire was to stick it to the Packers for not appreciating him in spite of himself, even though no fan base was ever more appreciative than they had been.

Well he got his way, though he had to wait one year, a year of apparent sexual frustration. He got to the rival and did everything he could to stick it to the Packers. He really wanted to punish Packer fans for his own behavior.

Then this past year. He lost to the Bears keeping them in front of the Packers. That happens. But he then went out of his way to go on to the field after the game, to seek out Bears players, and not to congratulate them on their season, but to say that he really hopes they beat the Packers. This is unacceptable.

Ginsu this bitch. He is a poo flinging masturbating chimp of a redneck. You don't retire the numbers of players who SHAM WOW! on your franchise.

Then this past year. He lost to the Bears keeping them in front of the Packers. That happens. But he then went out of his way to go on to the field after the game, to seek out Bears players, and not to congratulate them on their season, but to say that he really hopes they beat the Packers. This is unacceptable.

Tell us how you really feel.

Regardless of how he acted over the past 3-4 years, he's still one of the greatest players in Packers history. He helped bring them back from a dumpster fire into a SB champ. Not retiring his number or continuing to hate him after he's done is childish.

His number needs to be retired. XLV made it really easy to forget about all of the chaos Favre caused. I'm over it.

Tell us how you really feel.

Regardless of how he acted over the past 3-4 years, he's still one of the greatest players in Packers history. He helped bring them back from a dumpster fire into a SB champ. Not retiring his number or continuing to hate him after he's done is childish.

His number needs to be retired. XLV made it really easy to forget about all of the chaos Favre caused. I'm over it.

You are entitled to your opinion, perhaps a more grown up one than my own. I will stick with my opinion, childish though it may be. I just see no reason to give particular honor and respect to an individual who has shown no respect for the club.

You are entitled to your opinion, perhaps a more grown up one than my own. I will stick with my opinion, childish though it may be. I just see no reason to give particular honor and respect to an individual who has shown no respect for the club.

They're not retiring the number of the guy who acted like a jackwagon from 06-10.

They're retiring the number of the guy who was the face of the franchise, set every individual record and won a Super Bowl. 1992-2007 happened. Packer fans can't forget or downplay that.

Serious question for you, lets say that you ran the Packers, and decided against retiring the number. Who you issue it to anyone? If so, what kind of player? Whoever would put that number on would go through a beating for wearing it.

They're not retiring the number of the guy who acted like a jackwagon from 06-10.

They're retiring the number of the guy who was the face of the franchise, set every individual record and won a Super Bowl. 1992-2007 happened. Packer fans can't forget or downplay that.

Serious question for you, lets say that you ran the Packers, and decided against retiring the number. Who you issue it to anyone? If so, what kind of player? Whoever would put that number on would go through a beating for wearing it.

I would not issue the number. I would allow a player to select it if they wished. Just in case the player was too stupid to be aware of the history of the number I would let them know, but beyond that, so be it, I would leave the number open for use.

See, I don't trust Favre to recieve the honor graciously. I still see his potential to SHAM WOW! on the fans and the franchise anytime he pleases if he think it advances his fame or his agenda. This is not Starr, Wood, Kramer, Adderly, or Jordan. This is a man who is all about himself.

In the end it matters not at all what I think. Murphey has announced his intention. The number is headeed for retirement. My feelings about the matter are not going to change that.

As for forgetting or downplaying his accomplishments, I do not. I simply do not choose to believe he has earned an honor more singular than even HOF selection.

Favre wanted to denegrate GB after he was presented with the opportunities to play for the team over that period. In fact, he actively pulled for GB to fail after he left. Then he went on and sent pictures of his dick to a female reporter.

That's a legend for which we have to retire his number? There's a lot more to being a Packer icon than just putting up numbers.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I guess i see it like this. Sometimes it's even more important to be honorable to someone who as acted like a tool. If the opponent has been talking trash all week long and acting like chumps. If the other team wins and simply says, "Hey they fought a hard battle but we made the plays we needed to. We came out on top today, but with an opponent like that, it could always go either way." That almost stings more than stooping to their level and rubbing it in their face.

Everyone knows, including those on the winning team, what was said. Everyone knows they have every right to call them out. But if you don't, if you allow yourself to dictate who you are on your terms, not on theirs, it says more. Like you're not going to let them off the hook or validate their crap by engaging in the crap.

So, GB could simply be saying, "This is what we do for players who have had the career like Favre has had. We're better than getting into some pissing match with someone and we're not going to validate his act by giving him something to be pissed about." Killing him with kindness, I guess is how you'd say it. "There you go, Brett. This is what honorable people do. They act with class and give credit where it is due. So, we're going to look past your regretful last few years and honor you for what you did do for the team"

I mean, obviously they don't come out and say it, or they've done just the opposite. But the point is made.

Edited by detlef

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that as honors go, from more common to most unusual, we have the Packer HOF, the Pro Football HOF, the Lambeau Field Ring of Honor, and those Packers with retired numbers. Favre will be in each HOF. His accomplishments likely qualify him for the Ring of Honor, though my prior arguments bear some consideration there. The ultra rare honor of having his number retired, I don't think so. The Packers can give Favre some recognition without that rather singular recognition.

Favre wanted to denegrate GB after he was presented with the opportunities to play for the team over that period. In fact, he actively pulled for GB to fail after he left. Then he went on and sent pictures of his dick to a female reporter.

That's a legend for which we have to retire his number? There's a lot more to being a Packer icon than just putting up numbers.

He did a lot more than just put up numbers... But him sending pictures of his junk has no bearing on his career in Green Bay. Remember, I'm the guy that basically wanted to crucify him. Green Bay won Super Bowl XLV without Favre, and with Favre's replacement.

And Favre did say early on in the playoffs that he thought Green Bay would win the SB, and that he was rooting for them.

Just not issuing the number and acting as if he wasnt greatness is petty, and below what the Packers are.

I wonder if HOF Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Forrest Gregg (also a coach) Clark Hinkle (practice field named after him) Paul Hornung, Curly Lambeau (namesake for Lambeau field) James Lofton, Johnny "Blood" McNally (the creator of blood) Jim Ringo (the only Ringo Packer fans think of), Jim Taylor, and Willie Wood (the creator of trees) feel slighted that their numberes are not retired.

Whether Favre gets his number retired does not speak to proper honoring.

The one who needs to be honored, and who has not been properly, is Jerry Kramer. That he is not in the Pro Football HOF is a disgrace. His impact as a player and a conributor is unmatched. It was Kramer who made the iconic Packer sweept run. It was he who, admittedly along with Ken Bowman, that Starr followed into the end zone to salt away the Ice Bowl. He carried Lombardi from the field of victory on his shoulders following the Superbowl. His blocks lead to 5 champoionships in 7 years. When it was time to carry Lombardi's casket he was there. The wrote best selling books on the Packers, and long before the Johnny-come-latelies of Ditka and others he did more for retired and injured players than anyone. He has been a class act and a player of far greater impact than many in the HOF. One Jerry Kramer is worth 10 Micheal Irvings. I'll save my concern for the more deserving Packer.

I wonder if HOF Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Forrest Gregg (also a coach) Clark Hinkle (practice field named after him) Paul Hornung, Curly Lambeau (namesake for Lambeau field) James Lofton, Johnny "Blood" McNally (the creator of blood) Jim Ringo (the only Ringo Packer fans think of), Jim Taylor, and Willie Wood (the creator of trees) feel slighted that their numberes are not retired.

Whether Favre gets his number retired does not speak to proper honoring.

The one who needs to be honored, and who has not been properly, is Jerry Kramer. That he is not in the Pro Football HOF is a disgrace. His impact as a player and a conributor is unmatched. It was Kramer who made the iconic Packer sweept run. It was he who, admittedly along with Ken Bowman, that Starr followed into the end zone to salt away the Ice Bowl. He carried Lombardi from the field of victory on his shoulders following the Superbowl. His blocks lead to 5 champoionships in 7 years. When it was time to carry Lombardi's casket he was there. The wrote best selling books on the Packers, and long before the Johnny-come-latelies of Ditka and others he did more for retired and injured players than anyone. He has been a class act and a player of far greater impact than many in the HOF. One Jerry Kramer is worth 10 Micheal Irvings. I'll save my concern for the more deserving Packer.

Irvin.

And although Kramer was well before my time, I understand his greatness.

Favre is still probably a top five Packer player.

Lambeau isn't thought of as a great player.

Quarterbacks will always get the nod over a lineman. And Brett Favre is arguably the greatest packer quarterback.

Did you think Favre deserved to have his number retired retired in 2006 or 2007? If so, then it should still be retired today.

Meh....most of the Favre drama has been media driven...I'd say about 80% at least. The two sides would both look pretty fricken petty if they didn't reconcile and retire the number. Stop :wacko: about everyone's feelings and move on already.

Irvin.

And although Kramer was well before my time, I understand his greatness.

Favre is still probably a top five Packer player.

Lambeau isn't thought of as a great player.

Quarterbacks will always get the nod over a lineman. And Brett Favre is arguably the greatest packer quarterback.

Did you think Favre deserved to have his number retired retired in 2006 or 2007? If so, then it should still be retired today.

So happens i did not think his number should be retired in 2006 or 2007. Knowing Packer history, and being alive to remember those great Lombardi teams, I think the honor should be bestowed on many others first. That being the case, the Packers having so many to honor, they would run out of numbers, so my feeling has been that only the exceptional of the exceptional who have truly committed to the organizatio heart and sould should even have a shot, but that really no one should have a shot.

In addition to the above mentioned players I would like to add my man love for John Brockington, Mad Dog Douglas, Reggie White (of course) Ezra Jophnson, Johnny Grey, John Jefferson, and Lynn Dickie.

So happens i did not think his number should be retired in 2006 or 2007. Knowing Packer history, and being alive to remember those great Lombardi teams, I think the honor should be bestowed on many others first. That being the case, the Packers having so many to honor, they would run out of numbers, so my feeling has been that only the exceptional of the exceptional who have truly committed to the organizatio heart and sould should even have a shot, but that really no one should have a shot.

In addition to the above mentioned players I would like to add my man love for John Brockington, Mad Dog Douglas, Reggie White (of course) Ezra Jophnson, Johnny Grey, John Jefferson, and Lynn Dickie.

Johnson, Johnnie Gray, Dickey

Edited by Big John

Johnson, Johnnie Gray, Dickey

You are correct sir. Bad spelling and typing on my part.

Kids, let this be a warning. Drugs, lots of drugs, and oceans of beer and whiskey, can have a negative cumulative effect. Couple that with age and the fact that I was not smart even before the abuse, and well, there you have it.

Lombardi left the packers and coached for another team.

And if you're really saying that Reggie White or Lynn Dickie should have there numbers retired before Favre than you clearly are just a Favre hater.

Reggie White? Really? :wacko:

So six years with a team, 4 times in double digit sacks gets your number retired ahead of Favre?

Edited by piratesownninjas

Lombardi left the packers and coached for another team.

And if you're really saying that Reggie White or Lynn Dickie should have there numbers retired before Favre than you clearly are just a Favre hater.

Reggie White? Really? :wacko:

So six years with a team, 4 times in double digit sacks gets your number retired ahead of Favre?

Not saying that at all. Just thinking of others of my personal favorites, that's all.

Not a Favre hater at all. Just one who believes it is not an insult to not have one's number formally retired. Some organizations even have a policy against it at all, and those organizations do not have the pedigree of the Packers. They have the policy to avoid future conflicts

You seem to pick the weakest parts of what you are percieving as my arguments while ignoring the rest, as if defeating my position and changing my mind is some how important. Mine is just an opinion, neither right nor wrong, it just is. I respect your position. i acknowledge what Favre has accomplished. I simply do not think it a slight to reserve singular honors for those of great accomplishment and grat affinity for the team.

You seem to pick the weakest parts of what you are percieving as my arguments while ignoring the rest, as if defeating my position and changing my mind is some how important. Mine is just an opinion, neither right nor wrong, it just is. I respect your position. i acknowledge what Favre has accomplished. I simply do not think it a slight to reserve singular honors for those of great accomplishment and grat affinity for the team.

I thought we were just giving our opinions. I didn't think I'd hurt your feelings given that you were full of venom when it came to Favre earlier. And it has nothing to do with changing your mind. Its a discussion forum. If you don't want my opinion, then don't address my posts.

And I have no issue not retiring anyones number. But if you're going to retire numbers, Favre has to be one of them. He'd probably be the fourth or fifth guy on my list to be retired.