[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade fries

Bier Meister

peel, then cut your potatoes to desired size. put in cold water for about 4+ hours to remove some starch. cook in oil at 260* for about 10 min. can now cool and store. cook at 340* for about 5 min for finished product. toss a little salt on while still hot and a little oily. peanut oil or............. duck fat!!!! will give you best results.

det, how do you like to do yours?

Edited by Bier Meister

I do the double fry like you described and duck fat fries are absolutely the best ever. The cold water soak is the key step IMO.

• Like 1

I always leave the skin on when making fries.

Off topic but the best topping for fries has to be gravy. :wacko:

don't need to peel..... all about preference.

these guys are good on their own or something to dip them in. otherwise, i like em with either cheese and bacon, or chilli and cheese

Edited by Bier Meister

peel, then cut your potatoes to desired size. put in cold water for about 5 min to remove some starch. cook in oil at 260* for about 10 min. can now cool and store. cook at 340* for about 5 min for finished product. toss a little salt on while still how and a little oily. peanut oil or............. duck fat!!!! will give you best results.

det, how do you like to do yours?

You didn't ask me, but, the only thing I do differently is add sugar to the soaking water. By adding the sugar I found that they don't soak up as much grease and are a little crispier!

OK, so where do you get duck fat? I usually just fry in olive oil.

I can buy it at our local Wegman's stores. Check your higher end markets, they may have it.

Can you get the same results without the double fry method, i.e. cooking until done the 1st time?

you can get crispy fries by dropping frozen into a deep frier. this method gives you something different. i don't believe the results are the same. i don't do these very often these days, but when i do...we have a very happy house.

I believe that a fry must be seasoned immediately after pulling from the fryer ... i like salty heat.

I have done battered fries (with leftover onion ring batter) not recommended - i winged it and the batter just fell off for the most part

Oven baked fries can be done with eggwhite wash, although seasoning there is more rosemary, etc.

nothing beats whole fried catfish with homemade fries that are brown and part crisp part soggy.