[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another rookie draft

Duchess Jack

I dunno man.. If all those same teams passed on him 3 times, then why would any of those same teams want him to start for them? He certainly wont be starting in NE in 2-3 years.

Mallett's value should have jumped a full round as soon as NE picked him. There are normally 6 QBs going off the board before him in FF drafts, and as far as I can see Gabbert and Dalton are the only ones who rightfully should.

Think Cassell with a cannon for an arm and pinpoint accuracy. Mallett is going to get trained up by a coach who I despise but will acknowledge is one of the top 2 developers in QB talent in the NFL - probably #1. The tools are there, and if Belicheck & crew get inside his head, Mallett's career could be prolific as soon as he gets traded or Brady gets hurt/retires. NE has every intention of obtaining at least a 1st rounder for him in trade in 3 years. If you have room to stash him, this guy could be future gold. He's going to end up with more value than at least 3 of the guys being drafted before him, and could end up as the best in this class.

And this comes from a guy who was a Mallett detractor before the draft. Didn't like his chances at all if he were forced to start this year or next fopr any QB needy team, and I think his development would have been stunted badly. But his career intersecting with NE & Belicheck? Man - that's the stars aligning for Mallett. Exactly what he needed to learn to utilize his phenominally gifted arm.

bad year for top end quality, but good year for depth. nice options up and through the third round.

Trading down this year and I really like the value I'm getting from the mid 2nd round through the end of the 5th in IDP drafts. Not a chance in hell that I'm surrendering next year's first and early second rounders - they're going to be worth a lot more than this year's.

I dunno man.. If all those same teams passed on him 3 times, then why would any of those same teams want him to start for them? He certainly wont be starting in NE in 2-3 years.

You say this like he would have gone un-drafted had NE not taken him. The kid's a headcase, no doubt. But he's an amazingly talented head case who will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder & learning from one of the best QBs in the league and one of the best coaches of all time. In a couple of years when he's matured a bit more, he could very well be the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady for that matter.

Then again, he could get his first paycheck & then proceed to spend it all on hookers & blow then never be seen again. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

You say this like he would have gone un-drafted had NE not taken him. The kid's a headcase, no doubt. But he's an amazingly talented head case who will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder & learning from one of the best QBs in the league and one of the best coaches of all time. In a couple of years when he's matured a bit more, he could very well be the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady for that matter.

Then again, he could get his first paycheck & then proceed to spend it all on hookers & blow then never be seen again. :wacko:

Regardless of who teaches him anything, you need opportunity to be valuable (for FF). Right now, he has no opportunity. Sure he could get traded. But unless you have a spot to hold on to him (I do not), there is no sense in even considering him for anything.

Im sure NE drafted him with the intention of moving him for a higher pick than they spent at some point, but thats a long ways to wait to get value (again, for FF).

Just my thoughts... If you wanna draft him and hold on to him, go for it. I wont be mad atcha. :tup:

Regardless of who teaches him anything, you need opportunity to be valuable (for FF). Right now, he has no opportunity. Sure he could get traded. But unless you have a spot to hold on to him (I do not), there is no sense in even considering him for anything.

Im sure NE drafted him with the intention of moving him for a higher pick than they spent at some point, but thats a long ways to wait to get value (again, for FF).

Just my thoughts... If you wanna draft him and hold on to him, go for it. I wont be mad atcha. :wacko:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hated making that pick because 1) I don't have the room on my taxi squad, 2) I really need a 2nd QB with only Matt Ryan & 3) I don't like what I've seen from him so far from a personal standpoint. But when all the other QBs have already been taken & he's still sitting there in the 3rd round, there's very little risk in taking someone with that much upside, even if you have to make room for him to sit.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hated making that pick because 1) I don't have the room on my taxi squad, 2) I really need a 2nd QB with only Matt Ryan & 3) I don't like what I've seen from him so far from a personal standpoint. But when all the other QBs have already been taken & he's still sitting there in the 3rd round, there's very little risk in taking someone with that much upside, even if you have to make room for him to sit.

I just think a guy like Ricky Stanzi has more opportunity to eventually be a starter than a guy like Mallett. Had Mallett been in a different position, I would be singing a different tune.

FWIW, I wanted Buffalo to take him in round 2, but Im happy with Fitz for a few years.

I just think a guy like Ricky Stanzi has more opportunity to eventually be a starter than a guy like Mallett. Had Mallett been in a different position, I would be singing a different tune.

FWIW, I wanted Buffalo to take him in round 2, but Im happy with Fitz for a few years.

You've been listening to Mel Kiper a bit too much. :wacko:

:wacko:

You've been listening to Mel Kiper a bit too much. :tup:

Again. I said opportunity. Brady is one of the best QBs of all time. Cassel is Cassel, and, while he has been decent, he has not been stellar.

I will say it again - Its about opportunity. Mallett has zero opportunity as long as he is in NE (barring injury). And regardless of how long he is there, unless he gets playing time, why should his value go up any?

Again. I said opportunity. Brady is one of the best QBs of all time. Cassel is Cassel, and, while he has been decent, he has not been stellar.

I will say it again - Its about opportunity. Mallett has zero opportunity as long as he is in NE (barring injury). And regardless of how long he is there, unless he gets playing time, why should his value go up any?

Opportunity is such a relative term in the NFL, especially when it comes to the longevity of a good QB. How much opportunity did Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Rivers or Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or Steve Young have when they were drafted? :wacko: If a player is talented enough then sooner or later they will be given an opportunity whether it be with the team that drafted them or elsewhere.

Opportunity is such a relative term in the NFL, especially when it comes to the longevity of a good QB. How much opportunity did Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Rivers or Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or Steve Young have when they were drafted? :wacko: If a player is talented enough then sooner or later they will be given an opportunity whether it be with the team that drafted them or elsewhere.

Or Philip?

Stanzi won't ever earn a starting spot on his own in the NFL - he'll always have to wait for the QB in front of him to get hurt. Hell, Tolzien was a better QB than Stanzi and he won't ever find a home in the NFL as a starter.

Mallett on the other hand has superb physical gifts and needs substantial maturing. If he can get that in 3 years in NE, he can be a top 10 QB in the NFL for a decade afterwards.

Mallett may never pan out, and possibly by being his own enemy, but he'll always be light years ahead of Stanzi as far as being capable of being an NFL starter and a FF factor.

Not sure what you base your arguments on that Stanzi has better opportunity, unless you see him beating out Cassel in the next 2 years, and even then Mallett would still own an elite NFL arm that Stanzi never has any hope for.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Trading down this year and I really like the value I'm getting from the mid 2nd round through the end of the 5th in IDP drafts. Not a chance in hell that I'm surrendering next year's first and early second rounders - they're going to be worth a lot more than this year's.

+ 1000

I traded away many of this years picks for next year picks for this reason & I was able to get a 2012 1st for a 2011 2nd in two different leagues

In another one I traded 2.01 & 2.07 for a 2012 1st & 2nd & 3rd.

Rodgers and Rivers were drafted to BE the starters, so they had plenty of opportunity. They might have had to sit, but they were drafted to do exactly what they are doing.

Warner and Brady are exceptions. Cmon now, youre talking 2 of the greatest QBs of ALL TIME.

Young was garbage when he was with Tampa, but so was every other QB.

None of these QBs are relevant to the conversation IMO.

Stanzi won't ever earn a starting spot on his own in the NFL - he'll always have to wait for the QB in front of him to get hurt. Hell, Tolzien was a better QB than Stanzi and he won't ever find a home in the NFL as a starter.

Mallett on the other hand has superb physical gifts and needs substantial maturing. If he can get that in 3 years in NE, he can be a top 10 QB in the NFL for a decade afterwards.

Mallett may never pan out, and possibly by being his own enemy, but he'll always be light years ahead of Stanzi as far as being capable of being an NFL starter and a FF factor.

Not sure what you base your arguments on that Stanzi has better opportunity, unless you see him beating out Cassel in the next 2 years, and even then Mallett would still own an elite NFL arm that Stanzi never has any hope for.

The point Im making is simply that Stanzi has more of a chance to supplant the QB in front of him. Perhaps it is low, but Mallett is ZERO while in NE.

Sure they could start him in a preseason game or 2 over the years, but I dont think teams will come knocking on their door ready to drop a 1st round pick on him just because he is awesome in preseason. Aside from that, when would he get PT (minus injury)?

The point Im making is simply that Stanzi has more of a chance to supplant the QB in front of him. Perhaps it is low, but Mallett is ZERO while in NE.

Sure they could start him in a preseason game or 2 over the years, but I dont think teams will come knocking on their door ready to drop a 1st round pick on him just because he is awesome in preseason. Aside from that, when would he get PT (minus injury)?

Didn't KC pay pick 2.02 for Cassel? Didn't CHI pay 2 1st rounders plus Orton for Cutler? If Mallet develops his maturity, he's certainly got better capability than Cassel does and could be every bit as good as Cutler. You have seen the drought in competent starting QBs in the NFL, right? Plus, Brady is 33. The guy isn't going to last forever and NE could very well be in a Favre/Rodgers situation in 3 years.

Convince me that Stanzi will overtake Cassel in the next two years as the starting QB in KC and you might - might - have some kind of slight merit to your argument.

Didn't KC pay pick 2.02 for Cassel? Didn't CHI pay 2 1st rounders plus Orton for Cutler? If Mallet develops his maturity, he's certainly got better capability than Cassel does and could be every bit as good as Cutler. You have seen the drought in competent starting QBs in the NFL, right? Plus, Brady is 33. The guy isn't going to last forever and NE could very well be in a Favre/Rodgers situation in 3 years.

Convince me that Stanzi will overtake Cassel in the next two years as the starting QB in KC and you might - might - have some kind of slight merit to your argument.

the one difference between those circumstances and Mallets is , both Cutler and Cassel got playing time to show what they can do( in real games) Mallett may not get that chance.

the one difference between those circumstances and Mallets is , both Cutler and Cassel got playing time to show what they can do( in real games) Mallett may not get that chance.

If Belicheck intends to extract some premium draft picks for him rather than keep him as Brady's successor, I have a hunch he'll find a way to showcase his talents somehow. Like I said earlier, I don't like Belicheck at all but I find him to be extraordinarily intelligent when it comes to football matters (an evil genius kind of thing).

That is the ONLY point I am making (or trying to anyway).

If Belicheck intends to extract some premium draft picks for him rather than keep him as Brady's successor, I have a hunch he'll find a way to showcase his talents somehow. Like I said earlier, I don't like Belicheck at all but I find him to be extraordinarily intelligent when it comes to football matters (an evil genius kind of thing).

I would have to agree. Brady's isn't going anywhere so you know there is an end game when it comes to Mallet. He again finds a way to work a talent and then trades him for a bazillion draft picks.

the only reason he was able to get something for Cassel is that Brady got injured, otherwise Cassell is still on Pats bench now. Don't get me wrong , I like Malletts potential, just gonna have to be perfect storm again to be able to get something for him down road and that is only REAL football things. As far as fantasy Mallet has no real value unless Brady gets injured.

Edited by G.K.Trey