[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inane offseason news

Bronco Billy

Okay, since we are in an incredibly slow period in the NFL and the two sides in the lockout can't seem to be capable of tolerating each others' presence for more than two consecutive days despite allegedly being brilliant businessmen, I thought it might bring a bit of levity if we post some of the incredibly inane stuff that is being reported about the NFL these days.

I'll give this a push off the dock with the following story being reported as breaking news in the NFL:

Edited by Bronco Billy

Detroit Lions' Nate Burleson doesn't think Titus Young (or anybody else) can help Calvin Johnson

By Tom Kowalski MLive.com

BIRMINGHAM - There's a theory that the Detroit Lions drafted Boise State receiver Titus Young in the second round to take some of the pressure off Pro Bowl receiver Calvin Johnson. The thinking is that if Young proves to be a dangerous weapon, teams will no longer double-team Johnson as much.

Lions receiver Nate Burleson thinks it's an interesting theory but it has no basis in reality.

"No, (Johnson's) just too good. He's just too damn good,'' Burleson said. "Occasionally you'd see a team throw one-on-one coverage out there and they'd get burned. No, no matter what talent we surround him with, he's going to attract the attention. No matter how many people you put on the Lakers, Kobe Bryant's still going to get double-teamed. Calvin is that type of individual, he's one of the best in the game and he's always going to get that type of coverage.''

link

Really, Tom? You seriously think teams will put Megatron in single coverage because rookie Titus Young is so awesome a talent that he'll draw the double coverage instead, and have to be told otherwise by Nate Burleson?

Wow. There's some hard hitting breaking news, folks.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Detroit Lions' Nate Burleson doesn't think Titus Young (or anybody else) can help Calvin Johnson

By Tom Kowalski MLive.com

BIRMINGHAM - There's a theory that the Detroit Lions drafted Boise State receiver Titus Young in the second round to take some of the pressure off Pro Bowl receiver Calvin Johnson. The thinking is that if Young proves to be a dangerous weapon, teams will no longer double-team Johnson as much.

Lions receiver Nate Burleson thinks it's an interesting theory but it has no basis in reality.

"No, (Johnson's) just too good. He's just too damn good,'' Burleson said. "Occasionally you'd see a team throw one-on-one coverage out there and they'd get burned. No, no matter what talent we surround him with, he's going to attract the attention. No matter how many people you put on the Lakers, Kobe Bryant's still going to get double-teamed. Calvin is that type of individual, he's one of the best in the game and he's always going to get that type of coverage.''

link

Really, Tom? You seriously think teams will put Megatron in single coverage because rookie Titus Young is so awesome a talent that he'll draw the double coverage instead, and have to be told otherwise by Nate Burleson?

Wow. There's some hard hitting breaking news, folks.

I honestly don't think the theory is necessarily to benefit CJ but more so Stafford. Potentially getting CJ the double team but moving the FS and Will out of the box allowing for more time for Stafford to get the ball out and prevent more wear and tear like all 3 QB's received last year.

I honestly don't think the theory is necessarily to benefit CJ but more so Stafford. Potentially getting CJ the double team but moving the FS and Will out of the box allowing for more time for Stafford to get the ball out and prevent more wear and tear like all 3 QB's received last year.

Huh?

I'm struggling to see why this is so silly.

1) Popular opinion is that you want to get a solid #2 to keep Ds honest. So, that is what many people assumed was the case with drafting Titus.

2) Burelson is simply saying, "Good luck with that", because Megatron is so effing special that you'd literally need to put Andre Johnson on the other side to make anyone do anything different than what they're doing.

Sure, it's an obvious statement, but it's not as if all the draft-niks weren't talking about drafting a solid #2 was wise because of reason #1 above. So, apparently, it's not that obvious.

Perhaps the notion of drafting a solid WR2 should be sold, less as something to take the pressure off a guy like Johnson, but more to better exploit the holes in coverage that focusing on Johnson is bound to reveal.

What is silly is to pretend that Burelson was implying that anyone would consider double teaming Titus as the OP did in the first post.

On a related note, Maurice Jones-Drew is an idiot. A flat out idiot. He's been on Sirius NFL a couple of times recently and the guy just has nothing meaningful to say yet they give him a ton of air time. He spews the same insulting "you people have no idea what my life is like" rhetoric over and over without putting any substance behind his words. Reminds me why I pay to watch these guys on the field and not listen to them speak.

Same here. Burleson is making sense. He is saying that teams aren't going to stop the double coverage on Johnson because of Young or any other receiver on the field.

Which is kinda obvious, but not inanely so, IMO.

Same here. Burleson is making sense. He is saying that teams aren't going to stop the double coverage on Johnson because of Young or any other receiver on the field.

Which is kinda obvious, but not inanely so, IMO.

So to recap, both of you guys considered Young drawing coverage away from Megatron to be a very real possibility until Burleson provided some enlightenment.

Edited by Bronco Billy

So to recap, both of you guys considered Young drawing coverage away from Megatron to be a very real possibility until Burleson provided some enlightenment.

Again, I don't think it really is to benefit CJ but more so Stafford. Burleson is only indirectly saying the same thing.

Titus Young will help Titus Young, Stafford, Burleson, Pettigrew, Best and Leshoure. Megatron will continue to draw double teams all day.

He will get nickel backs on him out of the slot.

If anything, Megatron will be helping Titus Young by drawing a double team leaving Titus to footrace a nickle or dime defensive back on a go route.

Just poor writing and wording by the "news guy".

Most inane thing I've read lately:

"Kyle Rudolph’s hamstring sparks medical speculation

Posted by Mike Florio :tup: on May 14, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT

AP

When Vikings coach Leslie Frazier joined PFT Live on the Monday after the 2011 draft, he gushed about the addition of Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph in round two. Frazier said that Rudolph, who slid to the second round due in part to a serious hamstring injury suffered last year, has the potential to be a Pro Bowler early in his career.

But Rudolph’s performance at the NFL level hinges on the healing of the hamstring. While Rudolph and the Vikings are confident that he’ll be back to 100 percent, but Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com has spoken with a medical expert who has provided a more guarded assessment.

Dr. J.R. Rudzki, who has worked with the St. Louis Rams and other professional sports teams, told Pelissero that patients suffering hamstring tendon avulsions “have roughly a 70 to 85 percent of being able to return to their desired level of sports activity.”

Added Rudzki regarding Rudolph, “For him, obviously, he has functional demands and an activity level as an elite professional athlete that are significant and leave little room for residual weakness.”

But as Pelissero points out, Rudzki hasn’t examined or treated Rudolph. Vikings doctors and others have, with Rudolph being checked not once but twice by doctors in Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine and the subsequent medical re-check. And Rudolph was able to perform sufficiently well at his Pro Day workout to help the Vikings feel comfortable about using a second-round pick on a position that, for now, is more of a luxury than it is a need.

Though this reality won’t stop Rudzki or other doctors from welcoming the chance to get their names in the media when given a chance to opine on the condition of athletes they haven’t examined, it’s an important fact to keep in mind when considering such comments."

-----------------------

So doctor who has worked with some teams like the Rams, in some capacity, believes Rudolph, whom he has not examined and presumably only read about, has 70 to 85 percent chance of making back to his "desired" level of sports activity.

:wacko:

You don't need to make Super Bowl travel plans either............ :wacko:

Correct, they're going to pull the first back to back super bowl wins. I plan on going to the one closest to me anyway.

Menudo, i like out little rivalry we've started since the Mendenhall thread.