[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Truisms

WashingtonD

Start the "runs" don't get caught at the end

Also I will never agree with the general thinking if you can't draft in the top 4 then hope for bottom 2. I will always take the highest spot I can get.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPR and std leagues have the same draft order... (i've heard this one and I don't believe it at all...)

I've heard the RB RB has to be the first 2 picks before too... I don't believe it at all cause the last 2 years I've went WR RB and RB QB and won the league the past 2 years... I'd go with u have to draft a RB with your first 2 picks though

disagree

Funny, I was just about to single out that comment as one that was particularly on-point.

You have no control over your opponent and he has no control over you. There is no better way to insure victory than to start the team that you think has the best chance to put up points. Getting cute can blow up in your face way too easily.

Funny, I was just about to single out that comment as one that was particularly on-point.

You have no control over your opponent and he has no control over you. There is no better way to insure victory than to start the team that you think has the best chance to put up points. Getting cute can blow up in your face way too easily.

still disagree but will have 2 explain later

Start the "runs" don't get caught at the end

Also I will never agree with the general thinking if you can't draft in the top 4 then hope for bottom 2. I will always take the highest spot I can get.

I second that... I've won the past 2 years from the 6 and 7 slots (10 team very competitive league).

When the jerk of the league, who never talks to anyone and only post on league message boards to BIT.......sorry.....Complain.......suddenly becomes your friend and starts calling and texting......Start raising that Red Flag.

We all know one of those cats.

on another note

know your league, is it a fun relaxed league or a hardcore competitive league, and you will only get out of Fantasy Football what you put into Fantasy Football

That isn't just for IDP.

But it's still "getting cute".

In other words, your point is that, if your opponent is stacked, you want to start a high risk/high reward line-up? I suppose there's something to that, but you could just as easily argue that, if your opponent is stacked, you need put yourself in position to best take advantage of him having a "B" game.

In other words, it's not that likely that he puts up a so-so number, so you need to do your best to not bail him out by throwing up a crappy score yourself. I mean, what you're talking about is basically the equivalent of going for two. You are accepting poor odds because the situation demands it. But an underdog doesn't just start out the game going for 2 because the odds still don't make sense until 1 pt does you no good.

I think the most sound approach is to accept the fact that the odds are against you because your team, on average, scores less than your opponent. And, like when you're playing craps, or black jack, or any other game where the odds are against you, you need to play as smart as you can to not make it worse.

I suppose, if you've got two guys who have the same caliber of match-ups, both of whom, on average, score the same amount, but one does so by putting up 8 pts every week and the other by either giving you 5 or 11, you could lean towards the guy with the higher upside, but that's borderline over thinking it because how often do you have two truly equal players in every regard but this one?

Thus, approaching the game the way you're talking about, more likely, ends up with someone benching a reliable player for a guy they would otherwise not start, just because he thinks there's the off chance dude goes off. In other words, benching a WR3 who averaged you 8 pts a week, never less than 6 but almost never more than 10, for guy who averages less than 8 but has gone off a few times and, thus, has a higher upside.

Edited by detlef